Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extra Battery vs. Collapsible Spare - Why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 03:36 PM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Extra Battery vs. Collapsible Spare - Why?

Can someone please tell me what is the function and application of the extra battery?

Also, why does this option cancel the spare tire option? WHy can't you order both? Isn't the extra battery under the the Bose subwoofer? And doesn't the spare tire fit right in, around the subwoofer?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:58 PM
beemaze
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Extra Battery vs. Collapsible Spare - Why?

Originally posted by k2kv
Can someone please tell me what is the function and application of the extra battery?
Supposedly to prevent excessive battery drainage on the main battery from the myriad of electrical systems in this vehicle.

Also, why does this option cancel the spare tire option? WHy can't you order both? Isn't the extra battery under the the Bose subwoofer? And doesn't the spare tire fit right in, around the subwoofer?
The auxiliary battery requires a larger subwoofer to fit on top of it. There is no room around the larger sub to fit the spare. The smaller 2nd generation Bose sub has enough room around it to fit the spare, but no room underneath for the auxiliary battery. What some have done, i.e. those with the larger subwoofer, is remove the sub completely and place the spare on top of the auxiliary battery.

Overall, I call this poor planning on the part of the Porsche designers.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:42 PM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

I see... That explains it.

But is it really necessary? Vehicle is normally delivered with one battery. Can it not handle the load?
Old 12-04-2003, 07:03 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I checked with my dealer on do a switch to my 03 and price on the new sub-woofer was in the $800 range. Then you add the tire, and labor and ...........
Old 12-04-2003, 07:06 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

"But is it really necessary? Vehicle is normally delivered with one battery. Can it not handle the load?"

The answer is: probaly not.

Read the dead battery threads here and on vwvortex.com (Trewg had only one batt)

My S has one. I had two dead battery experiences. Second time, dealer checked the cells. One was dead, they replaced batt. We'll have to see if the load reduces battery life significantly.

there is just too much sh**t going on when ignition is off.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:01 AM
Cay
Instructor

second battery is cool when you dont use the car every day. my sl 500 have 2 batteries. a small one under the engine hood wich is only responsible for starting the engine and a fat one in the trunk for all the
electrical features like power seats etc.

i dont drive him 3 weeks and get the message batterie is low and some electrical features like audio etc are disabled. but with the first battery I could start the engine easily, drive some miles and load the other up. like allready been said - too much stuff going on in the cars even when they park.

so it seems to make sense. in case of the cayenne i dont ordered it cuz I prefer the spare wheel. when the battery is down its easy to find a second car to help you but when your tire blows somewhere in nirvana you run into serious probs. if i could have both I would take both.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:04 AM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

It seems silly to me to have to sacrifice your spare tire for a subwoofer! And the idea of a second battery is appealing.

Perhaps it is best to order the extra battery option, then ADD the spare tire after the car arrives (I realize this raises the cost to something like $600 for the spare.

You could remove the subwoofer and have it or an aftermarket unit custom installed.

Or - - if you have an extra set of wheels/tires for winter, you could simply carry one around with you as a spare, in the back of the vehicle!
Old 12-05-2003, 10:26 AM
JeffES
Pro

It wasn't the subwoofer that caused the "issue" - it was the "packaging" of the sub & battery that bounced the spare. The second battery in this application (Cayenne) was a bad joke from the beginning. The two batteries were connected electrically, not mechanically, thus if the primary were drained, the secondary would also be drained... There were two reasons for all early Cayennes in the US/Can having the 2nd battery - PCNA & PAG were frightened of warranty claims, and PAG couldn't give the option away in early deliveries in the home market, thus a pretty good oversupply of the components. All in all, the "right" decision would have been to go with a gel cell or glassmat battery from the beginning.
J
Old 12-05-2003, 10:40 AM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

So, has the battery issue been resolved? Have they now supplied the primary with higher amperage?

Even if the two were always connected electrically, they would be able to supply double the amperage and, theoretically, last twice as long. Not a bad thing, really.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:54 AM
TIS330ci
Advanced

i have the 04 turbo with 20 inch rims and no spare is that normal?
Old 12-05-2003, 11:54 AM
TIS330ci
Advanced

Old 12-05-2003, 12:30 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

While we're on the subject; just a reminder:

If you're going to be away for 3 weeks (like
euro vacation) buy one of those trickle chargers and hook up to it.

The battery is under the front seat & might be a pain to take out to charge.

ALSO REMOVE THE GROUND when charging (hot), I don't think it's necessary on a trickle.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:44 PM
beemaze
Instructor

Originally posted by TIS330ci
Yes, if you didn't pre-order your TT with the collapsible spare for $180 or you have the 2nd battery option. I've noticed alot of Cayenne's sitting on the dealer's lots that were not ordered with the collapsible spare. Why this is so, I do not know. Perhaps there was a shortage from the factory at the time of order or the dealer didn't think of it? Either way, I think it should be standard...
Old 12-08-2003, 02:07 PM
BK
Advanced

Question on the spare. My Cayenne had it, but for some reason it was not included with the car. I called the dealer and they sent the spare to me. Is it supposed to remain uninflated while stored in the back? I am assuming this is where the "collapsable" part comes in?

Thanks!
BK
Old 12-08-2003, 03:18 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You are correct

Quick Reply: Extra Battery vs. Collapsible Spare - Why?