Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Cayenne S the worst car ever!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 12:49 PM
Stocksfin
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Cayenne S the worst car ever!!

I bought as above mentioned back in October, it has 80000 on the clock and generally in excellent condition or so I thought.
First to go was the sender unit in the petrol tank then shortly followed by a intermittent problem/s with one of the headlights throwing up all sorts of errors then just after that the dreaded plastic coolant pipes split now to top it all off 2 months down the line it looks like I'll be needing a new gearbox (caused by the coolant leak) as you can imagine I am sick of the sight of this car. Think I may just have to cut my losses. It has got to be the worst car I've owned. But must admit lovely to drive when not in the garage.
Anybody else had just as much bad luck as me?
Old 05-04-2017, 01:23 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

Tell us what the PPI said before you purchased it..

Dunno what that means? Pre-Purchase Inspection. It's a wise thing that non-mechanically adept people do to avoid buying a bottomless pit of expenses. The other thing they do - smart people - is go to forums and read up on the vehicle they're considering buying BEFORE buying it, so they can anticipate problems, or check if they have already been addressed. Or see if there are too many for their comfort zone.

In your future I see a cardan-shaft bearing mount failure looming. And probably rear hatch struts. And possibly a new cooling-system reservoir. As far as needing a NEW gearbox due to the coolant leak - that's very unlikely. The usual problem is - the front seal on the transmission input shaft needs replacing, which requires R&R of the transmission to do. It's not a cheap job, but it also doesn't involve replacing the entire transmission unless you're going to a real thief.

I suspect owning a Cayenne may not be the best thing you have done - so you're probably right in cutting your losses and dumping it. Some people will be much happier with a Lexus.

Sad.

BTW - as far as it being the worst car ever - not even close. Every owned a Jaguar? Fiat?
Old 05-04-2017, 01:37 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 108 Posts

Did you think your plastic coolant pipes were going to be the exception and not break?

In addition to the failed seal, your starter also got soaked. Intake will soon be coming off again to replace that.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:52 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally, I would never buy a German car with 80K miles. Trying owning a 2005 MB S-Class, even worst an Audi with that many miles. It's a nightmare and a money pit.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:57 PM
Stocksfin
3rd Gear

I've changed the starter motor, thermostat, water pump, vent pipes, gaskets and o rings etc.. whilst we had the intake off.
I knew nothing about the coolant pipes untill it was to late, should have done my research before, that being said it's still a major error on porsches design and build which I am paying for.
You can guarantee that when I put it all right and then decide to sell it someone will probably have a good car and will never let them down.
You live and learn!!!
Old 05-04-2017, 03:50 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

"A 10+ year old Porsche is easy and cheap to maintain," said NO ONE EVER in the history of the marque! Best of luck on your next car.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:52 PM
BamaScoot
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm sorry the 13 year old, 80,000 mile, <$10k Porsche you purchased without a proper inspection has not performed flawlessly for you.

Unrelated: I planted a few hundred dollar bills in my back yard, but my money tree hasn't begun growing yet. This is starting to **** me off. When can I expect it to start growing, and how long does it take to bloom after that?
Old 05-04-2017, 04:15 PM
Stocksfin
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by BamaScoot
I'm sorry the 13 year old, 80,000 mile, <$10k Porsche you purchased without a proper inspection has not performed flawlessly for you.

Unrelated: I planted a few hundred dollar bills in my back yard, but my money tree hasn't begun growing yet. This is starting to **** me off. When can I expect it to start growing, and how long does it take to bloom after that?
Here we go another keyboard warrior who has a hard on for his car.
A nice well thought out response with excellent advise also, aren't I the lucky one!!! ********
Old 05-04-2017, 05:40 PM
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Stocksfin
A nice well thought out response with excellent advise also, aren't I the lucky one!!! ********
"Lighten up, Francis"

Remember, you're the guy who started the conversation, in a forum of Cayenne enthusiasts, and call their car (and yours) "the worst car ever!!"

Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle. You can call him "Black"
Old 05-04-2017, 06:31 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

To answer your question. Without a doubt. Every single one of these issues is so common that they are laughable.

You have far more projects in your future as others have indicated which aren't a matter of if, but when... hatch struts, engine mounts, driveshaft, lower control arms, diverter valves, dome light, entire steering column replacement because of a failed relay which is soldered to an 'unreplaceable' board. Even if you do your own wrenching the parts will probably add up to what you paid for the vehicle in no time.

Why don't you look up cylinder scoring or find out how much fun it is to replace the engine mounts for which yours is most certainly due? People who have lost at the 'Porsche engine lottery' are truly the unlucky ones.

We all deal and gripe with these issues because when running well, there is just no other car like these old PIGs on the road. Except maybe a few of the more special versions of the Toe-rag and Audi SUV's
Old 05-04-2017, 06:37 PM
PartsGuyGT
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 05-04-2017, 06:58 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 303 Likes on 232 Posts

So let me make sure I understand:

You bought a 13 year old car.

A high performance, complex, originally very expensive 13 year old car.

It has had some problems. Problems that are well know to occur on this particular car.

Sooooo...

How much research did you do on this car before you got it?
Who inspected it before you bought it, and what did that inspection reveal?

None of what you experienced is "luck".

So far, I have replaced coolant pipe & T, with the starter as a WYIAIT item. Hatch struts. Cardan shaft (Jimi Fix). Tires (4 summer, 2 snows). Wire connections under the driver side carpet (see my "05 CTT No Start" thread for details). There are a few things that need to be fixed (Charge air pipe O-rings, rear parking sensor).

None of this was "luck" Good or bad. I did my research, and it took about 6 months of casual looking to find this particular car. One owner, dealer serviced, full records. Stuff like water pump, air compressor, instrument cluster and a few other things had been taken care of.

It's all part of the 'ownership experience' that owning an exclusive, high performance, high tech car gives. There's good and there's bad.

Although I still can't believe that a car of this caliber has wiring connections that are nothing more than "crimp the conductor and wrap it with Gorilla Tape".
Old 05-04-2017, 09:54 PM
BamaScoot
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Oh, you wanted advice? My bad, I thought you just wanted to complain given the tone of your post. Here is some advice:

Do not expect a 13 year old, 80,000 mile, <$10k Porsche purchased without a proper inspection to perform flawlessly.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:31 AM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I owned an early 911SC for 25 years. It was damn reliable, but the 10,000 mile valve adjustments were annoying.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:22 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 135 Posts

Who's the '********' here? Caveat Emptor... you didn't.

Antagonizing owners in a forum where you might actually get help (or at least sympathy) is probably not the best plan.

But then that might represent a trend of your not doing research and getting all bent out of shape when things don't magically turn out as you expected.

********, indeed.

Quick Reply: 2004 Cayenne S the worst car ever!!