Sponsored by:

2004 Cayenne S the worst car ever!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 07:55 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 303 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
Lol! Yes, because the newer models are so much better with their glued in coolant pipes, camshaft bolt failures and self destructing transfer cases. Oh, and years later, still not immune from cylinder scoring.
New(er) ones are often under warranty. There are more than a few people who have clearly stated that they would never own one of these without a warranty. I don't really blame them.

Going in "naked" is often called "Cliff Diving."
There's a reason for that.

And, like Shawn, I couldn't and wouldn't own one without the assistance and support (mechanical and moral) of the best bunch of weirdos I've ever come across.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:01 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
Lol! Yes, because the newer models are so much better with their glued in coolant pipes, camshaft bolt failures and self destructing transfer cases. Oh, and years later, still not immune from cylinder scoring.
The best part about newer models, and the people that either buy or lease them is that, for the most part, they have so much money that any problem can be fixed and/or, fixed under warranty.

The other old maxim bears repeating, "Never buy the first year of any new model." It should be changed to, one should never buy the first Generation of any new vehicle. It is interesting as the cousin of the Cayenne, the VW Touareg, had many known issues with the first generation of the truck. I had/have a Gen3 Touareg and it had/has been (a flawless, save for VW having cheated with the emissions) TDI.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:39 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,060 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Stocksfin
I bought as above mentioned back in October, it has 80000 on the clock and generally in excellent condition or so I thought.
First to go was the sender unit in the petrol tank then shortly followed by a intermittent problem/s with one of the headlights throwing up all sorts of errors then just after that the dreaded plastic coolant pipes split now to top it all off 2 months down the line it looks like I'll be needing a new gearbox (caused by the coolant leak) as you can imagine I am sick of the sight of this car. Think I may just have to cut my losses. It has got to be the worst car I've owned. But must admit lovely to drive when not in the garage.
Anybody else had just as much bad luck as me?
It happens. But experience doesn't come free.

1. Expect the worst and you won't be disappointed. So, never get in financially over your head. If it all goes wrong you won't be ruined. You need a slush fund to cope with these issues.

2. If you did number one, go ahead, have a good yell, then roll up your sleeves, man up, and fix it and take your lumps.

Yes, we all have bad luck. The seasoned vets (those of us that have been burned once before) just have learned not to gamble more than they can afford to lose.

And yes, entropy is a bitch.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:25 AM
zboot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD
Every time someone buys an early Cayenne for a "great price", I always think of this article.
"Great price" is relative to whether or not you were going to purchase the item anyway. Saving 50% on anything means nothing if you still spent more money than you intended or needed.

In my case, I was going to buy a Cayenne, originally a 955 w/ between 100k and 130k. So, getting a 957 at the same price that I like more, makes it "great". That the car has issues is a given - I'd be facing the same issues regardless of price, so those don't really matter when it comes to discussing what I paid - unless I foolishly purchased the car w/o anticipating such things.

In the OPs case - I get his pain. He may have anticipated that of all the known issues with the 955, he'd encounter some of them. But I suspect he thought it would be fix a few issues, drive for a while, fix more issues. It hurts to get an example that drops you into constant work up front. I suspect anyone here would be frustrated having the cayenne out of commission for an extended period of time. Clearly, "worst car ever" is hyperbole. Nobody buys a Porsche, even at the depreciation of the 955 today, who'd ever truly feel this way about it.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:04 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
And yes, entropy is a bitch.
Well put. The 2nd law of thermodynamics is no joke!
Old 05-20-2017, 12:38 AM
WhiteCab
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Hmmm

FWIW: I bought mine new and after 150K miles I have had to have it serviced 7 times in 14 years. I did replace coolant pipes as PM and did replace cardan shaft at 140K. And I've had to replace tires 3 times already! What a pig! ... Love it!
Old 05-21-2017, 11:30 PM
Julielive
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stocksfin
I bought as above mentioned back in October, it has 80000 on the clock and generally in excellent condition or so I thought.
First to go was the sender unit in the petrol tank then shortly followed by a intermittent problem/s with one of the headlights throwing up all sorts of errors then just after that the dreaded plastic coolant pipes split now to top it all off 2 months down the line it looks like I'll be needing a new gearbox (caused by the coolant leak) as you can imagine I am sick of the sight of this car. Think I may just have to cut my losses. It has got to be the worst car I've owned. But must admit lovely to drive when not in the garage.
Anybody else had just as much bad luck as me?
im sorry. It's disappointing to get a new to you vehicle and immediately have problems. I get that. If I hadn't listened to these guys like they were Moses I would be in trouble too! As soon as I got mine? Coolant pipes replaced as well as cardan shaft. It was overwhelming to take care all of that upfront and I still have a smaller but more manageable list, but once it's done? You will be so happy with your P!G! But right now? It's not so good. I am not a great resource for help; but I do ask A LOT of questions and follow the advice to the letter. The people on here have been AMAZING. since I am a "taker" I make sure I'm super polite and thankful for the help. I hope things work out for you too. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!

Last edited by Julielive; 05-21-2017 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Left out words

Quick Reply: 2004 Cayenne S the worst car ever!!