Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 years later, finally! Auto headlight on a 2008 to 2019 957, no dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 09:53 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Default 6 years later, finally! Auto headlight on a 2008 to 2019 957, no dealer!

Thought I would share this as it has bugged me a little for 3 years, then last 3 years bugged me a lot when I got a 957.

The problem, you buy an AUTO switch, and it plugs in and turns the headlights on all the time, or it does nothing, but turns on the lights in AUTO mode all the time, and triggers an error.

From the factory, my 2009 957 does not have dimming reviewer mirror, nor an auto switch.

Durametric has been frustrating since I bought it 6 years ago, and I now discovered it can not interact with many of the newer modules on the 957, as they support long coding, not the traditional short code from 10 years ago.

With the latest VAG-COM cable from Ross Tech and version 17 software. I was able to scan many more modules, read codes, do output tests, etc. I did not compare the two much but I think the DME is the only module I can not read that Durametric can.

For $15 I bought a used switch from a 2005 955 Cayenne S, find this part on ebay: 7L5.941.531C search that part. If you search for the 955 part number it is much more expensive.

I tried turning on the coming home, and the comfort light options, like I figured out on the 955 years ago, and confirmed I have under lighting in the MFI a option to do delayed lights off.

I plugged in my new to me switch, and it worked like a regular switch, no auto, no codes logged.

I was resigned to thinking something was wrong with my light sensor on my 957 from 2009.

At this point, I ran through some output tests, learned that each individual side marker and parking light can be controlled from that module. Interesting.

So I had one option left to check, Byte 04 Bit 0 Assistance Driving Light, that I assumed was the cornering lights for the touareg, as all the labels are verified for the touareg.

I checked it, hit apply in the vag com, and success!

ON Byte 04 Bit 0 Assistance Driving Light
ON Byte 04 Bit 1 Coming-Home
OFF Byte 04 Bit 2 Garage/Cinema Light
ON Byte 04 Bit 3 Comfort/Tip Blinking
OFF Byte 04 Bit 4 Emergency Brake Blinking
ON Byte 04 Bit 5 Comfort Interior Lightning

So in Byte 4, I have Bit 0,1, 3 and 5 checked. Bit 0 was the magic one.

I now have full delay settings in the MFI, remote turns on the interior lights when I approach the car at night. Auto headlights now on my non-dimming mirror, 2009 957.

There are a few other byte codes I want to mess with now, as I suspect there are more hidden features in this module related to lighting. For example still interested in the emergency braking and the garage cinema light (for turning off DRL when parking brake is on, I guess to run your car at the drive through with DRLs off)

Automatic driving light assistant
The driving light assistant is a comfort function.
Your Porsche’s driving light (low beam) is switched
on and off automatically, irrespective of the
ambient brightness.
Despite possible support by the driving light assistant,
it is the responsibility of the driver to switch
on the driving light using the conventional light
switch in accordance with the relevant national
regulations.
Activating the headlights using the driving light
assistant does not therefore absolve the driver of
responsibility for the correct operation of the
driving light.
The low beam is switched on automatically in the
following situations:
– Dusk
– Darkness
– Travelling through tunnels
– Rain (in conjunction with the rain sensor) - After a certain amount of wipes
– Highway driving - Over 87MPH
- Does not work in fog.

So I do have a few questions for others, that I don't remember ever happening:

If you do NOT have auto headlights, and at night you unlock your car, does the door side mirror lights come on? When do these normally come on? (I assume with headlights on, door open) I now have white light under the door mirror and under the door, I never really noticed before. This is with the headlight set to auto.

I am thinking now I can get the overhead console with the dimming switches, and do a plug and play on this.

My next thing to figure out is if I can control the "white parking lights" turn signals, as I did an output test on these, and was able to control them individually.

Last edited by touareg; 04-18-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:33 AM
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

You're like a kid in a candy store! Happy for your success!
The following users liked this post:
Galan (01-27-2024)
Old 04-18-2017, 01:45 PM
touareg
Drifting

Hah, yes, after having cars for nearly a decade with auto lights, this was the one thing that drove me nuts when I picked this car, I thought I would get over it. NOPE!
The following 2 users liked this post by touareg:
Galan (01-27-2024), Movergp (07-12-2024)
Old 04-19-2017, 05:23 AM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I do not have auto headlights on my 2008 957 GTS, but the under door mirror convenience light comes on when i unlock my car (headlights on or off).
I can do a full test later tonight if you want. I am on European time, so you'll get the results tomorrow.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:16 AM
touareg
Drifting

Thanks, I think I just never noticed, as I have keyless entry, and just walk up to the car and open the door, rather than use the fob.

If you have a vag-com would love a scan of your coding in the Central Electric module 9.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:20 AM
tats
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have an 09 957 GTS and have changed light switch and rain light sensor and enabled comfort lighting with my foxwell n520 - no auto lights tho. Will have to go looking for the light assistant function next....
Old 12-14-2018, 07:50 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 553 Likes on 376 Posts

So is it easy to convert my 05 CS to AUTO ON headlights?
Old 12-14-2018, 09:13 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

I don't think Garage cinema, emergency braking, or white parking light as turn signal is supported in the basic coding. Kinda crappy on a high end vehicle as lower models in the VAG lineup support these functions. For example my b6 a4 has auto up and down rear windows, my 04 CTT does not.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:08 AM
touareg
Drifting

A lot of the earlier cars were plug and play, the 955s have a different way to code them if it doesnt just work when you plug the switch in than the 957.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:25 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Can confirm that Mr. touareg's discovery has worked on a 957, without dimming mirror and without factory auto on, with a replacement auto headlight switch.
Galan (01-27-2024)
Old 02-04-2019, 10:01 AM
RazMan
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Am I right in saying that you need to have access to the Durametric system to enable this function?

I have found an aftermarket solution (at a cost of course) made by a company called Elecgear. It is basically a bluetooth controlled replacement light switch and gives you automatic functions on Headlamps, Sidelights / Position and Fog lights which the vehicle does not originally have; Visually set up the preferences in smartphone App - Both Android and Apple iOS iPhone supported

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by RazMan; 02-04-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:35 AM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RazMan
Am I right in saying that you need to have access to the Durametric system to enable this function?
I have found an aftermarket solution (at a cost of course) made by a company called Elecgear. It is basically a bluetooth controlled replacement light switch and gives you automatic functions on Headlamps, Sidelights / Position and Fog lights which the vehicle does not originally have; Visually set up the preferences in smartphone App - Both Android and Apple iOS iPhone supported

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...k_ql_qh_dp_hza
Had to have a PIWIS to get the function activated, following touareg's instructions based on his lengthy deductive work.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:52 AM
RazMan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Libast
Had to have a PIWIS to get the function activated, following touareg's instructions based on his lengthy deductive work.
Just to clarify (and sorry for the newbie question) - is there a low-cost system that will allow me to poke around and turn some more functions on with Mr T's excellent instructions?

Is there a particular version that I need? I love a good tweak!

Last edited by RazMan; 02-07-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Galan (01-27-2024)
Old 02-07-2019, 11:50 AM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RazMan
Just to clarify (and sorry for the newbie question) - is there a low-cost system that will allow me to poke around and turn some more functions on with Mr T's excellent instructions?
PIWIS isn't low cost, but there are some workarounds to obtaining a copy of a PIWIS system from our good friends in the eastern hemisphere if you are into that kind of black market solutions.

Is there a particular version that I need? I love a good tweak!
No idea, I would suggest finding someone with PIWIS and having them follow the instructions lol.

Galan (01-27-2024)
Old 02-11-2019, 05:08 PM
RazMan
Instructor

As I do not have access to PIWIS or Durametric I decided to take the plunge and order one of the Bluetooth switches that I mentioned earlier. They are literally a five minute fix (for £80 mind you) but you can set the DRLs, headlights and fog lights all independently. Although I haven't had much time to play with the app, it looks like you can program the brightness levels to switch everything on, and even welcome home / see you home lights too! Really chuffed

Quick Reply: 6 years later, finally! Auto headlight on a 2008 to 2019 957, no dealer!