Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 years later, finally! Auto headlight on a 2008 to 2019 957, no dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 11:17 AM
Pochetemix
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Good thread. I have bought an auto switch. Might try tomorrow with VAG-COM to see if I can code it in my base 957 Cayenne (MY2008, no dimming mirror, no confort light option).
Old 09-11-2020, 03:28 PM
Pochetemix
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pochetemix
Good thread. I have bought an auto switch. Might try tomorrow with VAG-COM to see if I can code it in my base 957 Cayenne (MY2008, no dimming mirror, no confort light option).
Quoting myself.

Yes, it works perfectly. @touareg , you're the man!!!
Old 09-11-2020, 04:21 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Very welcome, man I had more time on my hands for this stuff back then

Still working strong on my car!
Old 10-31-2020, 02:10 AM
tats
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just tried with my vcds on my 09 GTS Aussie spec and no option in byte 4 for assistance driving light. First bit is for daylight running lights. More detective work to come...
Old 10-31-2020, 12:14 PM
RSbob
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Have a Canadian spec (headlights always on) 957 CS with the Auto function, which does nothing. Would love to have the DRLs on as intended (during the daylight hours) in Auto mode and headlights on at dusk/night. Any sleuthing on this would be appreciated.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:13 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

I was able to make the VCDSS system work for me as well (after a frantic email to Mr. Tourag as well followed up by an apology video since I figured it out myself.) In response to your post, RSbob, while you might not necessarily need a Vag-Com system (though it really -is- great) do you know if you've had any trouble with your rain sensing wipers system? I'm not bringing years of experience, but the sensor is responsible at least for triggering the auto setting on my vehicle (which I had to enable via VCDSS first, I also noticed a DRL box, but when checked just left my main headlamps on at all times) and I know that the sensor is not what I'd call a reliable partner in terms of operating as designed. That's a gorgeous 914 photo by the way :-D
Old 11-19-2020, 06:35 AM
V8 EVV
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I have a 2008 957 GTS without Auto lights but I do have auto wipers. I doubt I have auto dimming rear view mirrors though. The image below shows the sensor that I have. Apologies, I'm not very technical (I push a pen for a living), presumably I can buy the auto light switch and give Touareg's instructions to my Indy who can then code it using PIWIS?
Old 12-01-2020, 09:25 PM
tats
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by V8 EVV
Hi all, I have a 2008 957 GTS without Auto lights but I do have auto wipers. I doubt I have auto dimming rear view mirrors though. The image below shows the sensor that I have. Apologies, I'm not very technical (I push a pen for a living), presumably I can buy the auto light switch and give Touareg's instructions to my Indy who can then code it using PIWIS?
I have the same rain/light sensor with the manual mirror on my 2009 GTS.

I bought the auto switch from eBay and was able to change byte 4 coding as per the information above using a vag-com vcds. At last after several years I have the auto light on feature and have added a 15 seconds headlight delay for the coming home function. If your Porsche indy can't do it, maybe a VW/Audi guy can - the programming takes about a minute - select cent elec module 9, enter long coding, go to byte 4, enable bit 0 and I have 1, 3 and 5 enabled too.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:50 AM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

So I'm very interested in getting auto headlights on my truck. I don't have a fancy rear-view mirror (no rain sensing or dimming). If I understand correctly, I just need to buy this switch (7L5.941.531C) and then program the flag (ON Byte 04 Bit 0 Comfort Interior Lightning) and I should be good to go. I have the latest Durametric Enthusiast programmer.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:06 AM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hi Rob;
While the automatic headlight feature -is- part of the lights comfort package, it isn't controlled by the mirror, but rather the rain sensing wipers module. If you have basic rain sensing wipers, you have all the hardware outside the switch you'll need (meaning no upgraded module required.) You are correct in that you do need the switch with the 'auto' setting, and you will need to access the long coding section of the car's Central Electronics module. The only hitch I encountered vs. what you're proposing is that while I had the Durametric enthusiast cable as well, I had to purchase the VCDS system from Ross Tech in order to access software that enabled long coding to enable Byte 04, but also 1-3 (it's been about a year for me, bit rusty there, but the other features tie into the auto headlamp experience.) I hope you're able to access the same features via the Durametric software, I was not proficient enough with it to make it work as described. That said, once you carry out those two steps (switch and long code) on a 957, you -should- have auto on headlamps. I did not get it right the first time, but this did not destroy anything. I simply went in and disabled these byte locations, then re-enabled them. Good luck!
Old 04-22-2021, 11:45 AM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Good intel - my 957 has the harness to attach to the mirror although the mirror in my truck doesn't have the rain board or a dimming mirror. I guess I'll need to do some exploring. Thanks Dave!
Old 04-22-2021, 11:56 AM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No rain sensing wipers? awww man, I knew they nickel and dimed me on the awesome completely unnecessary and underwhelming ambient lighting, but my last VR6 base even had rain sensing wipers. The module for that mounts on the glass, resembles the dimensions of an early 90s beeper (yes I know what that is) and is supposed to be attached via a layer of RTV to the glass surrounded by nice bracket that holds it in place. Wiring snakes up to the overhead console area via a nice shroud. I have the memory of a gold fish these days, otherwise I'd be able to tell you where it connects from there. If it helps, the PET code for the rain sensing module is 955-618-518-03 which should help you in sourcing a unit. If you want to make the arrangement look pretty, the OEM wire shroud is in two pieces, 955-731-519-00-01C and 955-731-520-00-01C. I assume (which makes an *** out of me normally) that long coding may allow you to replace intermittent wipers with the on for rain sensing, but that's just me.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:07 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Davebrossi
No rain sensing wipers? awww man, I knew they nickel and dimed me on the awesome completely unnecessary and underwhelming ambient lighting, but my last VR6 base even had rain sensing wipers. The module for that mounts on the glass, resembles the dimensions of an early 90s beeper (yes I know what that is) and is supposed to be attached via a layer of RTV to the glass surrounded by nice bracket that holds it in place. Wiring snakes up to the overhead console area via a nice shroud. I have the memory of a gold fish these days, otherwise I'd be able to tell you where it connects from there. If it helps, the PET code for the rain sensing module is 955-618-518-03 which should help you in sourcing a unit. If you want to make the arrangement look pretty, the OEM wire shroud is in two pieces, 955-731-519-00-01C and 955-731-520-00-01C. I assume (which makes an *** out of me normally) that long coding may allow you to replace intermittent wipers with the on for rain sensing, but that's just me.
My rear view mirror was missing the back plastic cover and the plastic conduit (955-731-520-00-01C) and presumably the rain sensor. Looks like the windshield was replaced at some point and maybe they didn't transfer it over? Got some things to sort out. But the other day I ordered a used mirror from ebay that included the back cover and conduit channel. Now I have to track down a used rain sensor? But that depends on if I can do the programming via durametric. Man, this is a lot of work/effort to just have the headlights turn on/off automatically. lol

Old 04-22-2021, 06:15 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Actually I think that sounds like good news; you just have to replace the sensor, the Body Control Module probably still thinks its there. Which saves a step since it all can't be as easy as SQL queries, and means once the hardware's present you just have to long code (which, at least with VCDS software is navigating to the right window and clicking on a box to check an option then clicking 'go!') and you -should- have auto on headlamps...or maybe missiles will shoot from the headlamp washers? It does sound like someone swapped things over without really much care. I know my own rain sensor came unglued at some point but is held where it is by the plastic bracket that is bonded to the glass. I'm assuming, like you, the windshield got replaced but in my case they had the foresight to move the bracket over.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:52 AM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob in VA
…Man, this is a lot of work/effort to just have the headlights turn on/off automatically. lol
Dumb question; what does this do, exactly? And do we have separate bulbs for DRL?

on my 09 CTTS, I was able to turn on DRLs through a setting in the DIC.

I believe this turns on the normal headlight bulbs whenever the car is on. (Maybe if I apply the parking brake they turn off / cinema mode / haven’t checked).

I haven’t noticed dimming issues at night (I don’t have to turn the headlights “on” (again?) to dim the instrument lights, which I think is a thing with other cars (essentially the headlight switch becomes the “dim interior lights” switch.)

…so this auto headlight feature in this thread would just turn on the lights at night? Or what would it do?

Why do that instead of just click on DRLs using the DIC setting?

thanks!

Quick Reply: 6 years later, finally! Auto headlight on a 2008 to 2019 957, no dealer!