Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 years later, finally! Auto headlight on a 2008 to 2019 957, no dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 05:58 AM
BigHerc
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to necro this thread but what are the actual components in piwis that need changing. When in engineers mode I struggle to see which modules are which as they are all in German. A step by step would be really helpful.

Thanks

Steve
Old 02-04-2023, 04:38 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 117 Posts

…and does anyone have the eBay link or part number for an auto switch for a 2009? And how do you get the old switch out?

I got one that doesn’t match (wrong black finish), and tried to install it. Even tried vise grips on the old switch know and pulled pretty hard. No joy. Can’t rotate the housing, can’t pull it out… what’s the trick!?

thanks!
Old 03-03-2023, 02:08 AM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

FWIW I bought one from FCP.

My 2009 CTTS needed PIWIS to set headlight assist to on. That’s done and now auto headlights works.

HOWEVER, unlike modern cars, if you leave it set to auto, it still blasts the warning chime at you when you take out the key, as if you had left them on.

I think the only thing this does is auto turn them on if you enter a tunnel or whatever. But you would have had to set them to auto for that to work, and back to off for the chime not to yell at you on exit. So it is not “set it and forget it” like modern cars.

So far I’m nonplussed by this upgrade, FWIW
Old 03-03-2023, 11:07 AM
mbardeen
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Pretty sure my turbo turns them off automatically, even when set in the auto mode. There's a comfort setting on the PCM that lets them stay on for a certain amount of time after, and that worked as well (or, at least the lights weren't on when I came back to the parking lot after getting groceries).
Old 03-04-2023, 04:27 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

This was me being an idiot. The chime was for the key in the ignition. It actually works just fine. Thanks!
Old 10-01-2023, 12:12 PM
tonix
1st Gear

Default CODIFICA FARI AUTOMATICI PORSCHE CYENN 955 ANN0 2005 PUO FUNZIONARE CON LA STESSA CO

CIAO POTREBBE FUNZIONARE LA STESSA CODIFICA ??????
Originally Posted by touareg
Thought I would share this as it has bugged me a little for 3 years, then last 3 years bugged me a lot when I got a 957.

The problem, you buy an AUTO switch, and it plugs in and turns the headlights on all the time, or it does nothing, but turns on the lights in AUTO mode all the time, and triggers an error.

From the factory, my 2009 957 does not have dimming reviewer mirror, nor an auto switch.

Durametric has been frustrating since I bought it 6 years ago, and I now discovered it can not interact with many of the newer modules on the 957, as they support long coding, not the traditional short code from 10 years ago.

With the latest VAG-COM cable from Ross Tech and version 17 software. I was able to scan many more modules, read codes, do output tests, etc. I did not compare the two much but I think the DME is the only module I can not read that Durametric can.

For $15 I bought a used switch from a 2005 955 Cayenne S, find this part on ebay: 7L5.941.531C search that part. If you search for the 955 part number it is much more expensive.

I tried turning on the coming home, and the comfort light options, like I figured out on the 955 years ago, and confirmed I have under lighting in the MFI a option to do delayed lights off.

I plugged in my new to me switch, and it worked like a regular switch, no auto, no codes logged.

I was resigned to thinking something was wrong with my light sensor on my 957 from 2009.

At this point, I ran through some output tests, learned that each individual side marker and parking light can be controlled from that module. Interesting.

So I had one option left to check, Byte 04 Bit 0 Assistance Driving Light, that I assumed was the cornering lights for the touareg, as all the labels are verified for the touareg.

I checked it, hit apply in the vag com, and success!

ON Byte 04 Bit 0 Assistance Driving Light
ON Byte 04 Bit 1 Coming-Home
OFF Byte 04 Bit 2 Garage/Cinema Light
ON Byte 04 Bit 3 Comfort/Tip Blinking
OFF Byte 04 Bit 4 Emergency Brake Blinking
ON Byte 04 Bit 5 Comfort Interior Lightning

So in Byte 4, I have Bit 0,1, 3 and 5 checked. Bit 0 was the magic one.

I now have full delay settings in the MFI, remote turns on the interior lights when I approach the car at night. Auto headlights now on my non-dimming mirror, 2009 957.

There are a few other byte codes I want to mess with now, as I suspect there are more hidden features in this module related to lighting. For example still interested in the emergency braking and the garage cinema light (for turning off DRL when parking brake is on, I guess to run your car at the drive through with DRLs off)

Automatic driving light assistant
The driving light assistant is a comfort function.
Your Porsche’s driving light (low beam) is switched
on and off automatically, irrespective of the
ambient brightness.
Despite possible support by the driving light assistant,
it is the responsibility of the driver to switch
on the driving light using the conventional light
switch in accordance with the relevant national
regulations.
Activating the headlights using the driving light
assistant does not therefore absolve the driver of
responsibility for the correct operation of the
driving light.
The low beam is switched on automatically in the
following situations:
– Dusk
– Darkness
– Travelling through tunnels
– Rain (in conjunction with the rain sensor) - After a certain amount of wipes
– Highway driving - Over 87MPH
- Does not work in fog.

So I do have a few questions for others, that I don't remember ever happening:

If you do NOT have auto headlights, and at night you unlock your car, does the door side mirror lights come on? When do these normally come on? (I assume with headlights on, door open) I now have white light under the door mirror and under the door, I never really noticed before. This is with the headlight set to auto.

I am thinking now I can get the overhead console with the dimming switches, and do a plug and play on this.

My next thing to figure out is if I can control the "white parking lights" turn signals, as I did an output test on these, and was able to control them individually.
Old 07-12-2024, 09:34 AM
Movergp
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Pochetemix
Quoting myself.

Yes, it works perfectly. @touareg , you're the man!!!

anyone done this mod using durametric?
Old 07-12-2024, 09:36 AM
Movergp
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by tats
I have the same rain/light sensor with the manual mirror on my 2009 GTS.

I bought the auto switch from eBay and was able to change byte 4 coding as per the information above using a vag-com vcds. At last after several years I have the auto light on feature and have added a 15 seconds headlight delay for the coming home function. If your Porsche indy can't do it, maybe a VW/Audi guy can - the programming takes about a minute - select cent elec module 9, enter long coding, go to byte 4, enable bit 0 and I have 1, 3 and 5 enabled too.

Any idea on the coding for the durametric for this option?

Quick Reply: 6 years later, finally! Auto headlight on a 2008 to 2019 957, no dealer!