Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof rails, anyone that has them that has NOT used them?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 02:33 PM
williamsonoma
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use it to haul my girlfriend around.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:02 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51

Purchased the crossbars and 320L cargobox recently. Our son wanted to take a friend w us on spring break and w skate boards, beach chairs, and umbrella, I needed space. This thing rocks! Hardly any noise at 80 and still got calculated 30.2 mpg (normal is about 31.8-32.6)! Very good design and light weight, I can lift it into position by myself. Overall height is just under 83" which means I can "clear" any parking garage or drive through that is 7' or higher. Not cheap (bought bars from Suncoast and the box from local dealer to save high shipping costs). Probably won't use it that often but at least we have the option now. We already have a hitch mount Thule bike rack which is how I prefer to carry bikes. Just sharing ...
This.

Our recent road trip to CO with the 3 of us, dog, Christmas presents, 2 bikes plus gear and regular luggage showed that while we could do it... we won't again. Rooftop box for us, so glad we have the roof rails! But not paying a Porsche tax for a box likely made for them by Thule or Yakima in the first place, so we'll probably go with one of theirs.

(Bikes go on a hitch rack)
Old 04-06-2017, 01:30 AM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
This.

Our recent road trip to CO with the 3 of us, dog, Christmas presents, 2 bikes plus gear and regular luggage showed that while we could do it... we won't again. Rooftop box for us, so glad we have the roof rails! But not paying a Porsche tax for a box likely made for them by Thule or Yakima in the first place, so we'll probably go with one of theirs.

(Bikes go on a hitch rack)
The Porsche cargo boxes are designed, tested, and fitted for our exact Cayenne dimensions and airflow. The Thule and Yakima generic ones will certainly work but not perfectly like this one does. And yes, Thule or Yakima probably made it for/to Porsche specs. I couldn't be happier with the design and fit. Did I mention the wind noise is very minimal?
Old 04-06-2017, 10:05 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The Porsche cargo boxes are designed, tested, and fitted for our exact Cayenne dimensions and airflow. The Thule and Yakima generic ones will certainly work but not perfectly like this one does. And yes, Thule or Yakima probably made it for/to Porsche specs. I couldn't be happier with the design and fit. Did I mention the wind noise is very minimal?
As I recall from when I bought my CD and looked into it the Porsche box was the Thule Boxter. It was nice and I wanted to go with it, but the cost of the low profile was that the stroller wouldn't fit.

Still, with the Yakima Skybox 16, 2 adults, an infant (and required crap), and 3 50lb dogs, we squeezed in and did a DC to Tampa-ish trip comfortably. Regularly around 80mph with the wife doing 90 on her shifts. It was fairly quiet, completely stable, and still averaged 29mpg

Stroller wasn't needed for subsequent trips and we lost one of the dogs so we can all fit inside without the box now (and can get 32mpg for that trip).
Old 04-06-2017, 10:24 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
As I recall from when I bought my CD and looked into it the Porsche box was the Thule Boxter. It was nice and I wanted to go with it, but the cost of the low profile was that the stroller wouldn't fit.

Still, with the Yakima Skybox 16, 2 adults, an infant (and required crap), and 3 50lb dogs, we squeezed in and did a DC to Tampa-ish trip comfortably. Regularly around 80mph with the wife doing 90 on her shifts. It was fairly quiet, completely stable, and still averaged 29mpg

Stroller wasn't needed for subsequent trips and we lost one of the dogs so we can all fit inside without the box now (and can get 32mpg for that trip).
I will say, from 1/2 way down VA all the way to anywhere in FL on 95-other than going through the big cities/near big-exits, the 75 mph speed limit does mean 80-90 mph no problem. There was one morning last summer on the way to West Palm, where I followed 3 cars that were a steady 90-95 mph+, flat, straight road, no traffic, morningtime, it was heavenly. No roof-rails necessary though.

We'll be doing the drive from MA to FL again this summer and I'm totally looking forward to it in the CD.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:36 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD
We'll be doing the drive from MA to FL again this summer and I'm totally looking forward to it in the CD.
The CD loves it. On the last trip (sans box) we filled up a mile from our house near Dulles Airport. Our next fill up was in Brunswick, GA and we could have gone considerably further as the light wasn't even on (but I wasn't sure all the way to the next exit with fuel). All doing considerably faster than the posted speed limit whenever possible (as I recall the trip meter read an average speed a few miles over the highest allowed speed...).
Old 04-06-2017, 11:11 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gnat
The CD loves it. On the last trip (sans box) we filled up a mile from our house near Dulles Airport. Our next fill up was in Brunswick, GA and we could have gone considerably further as the light wasn't even on (but I wasn't sure all the way to the next exit with fuel). All doing considerably faster than the posted speed limit whenever possible (as I recall the trip meter read an average speed a few miles over the highest allowed speed...).
Last summer we had done the drive in the 2012 Touareg TDI and it was a blast. We did not see one single speed-trap on the way down or back up. Having a rabbit in front helps too.

I will definitely not worry about diesel this upcoming summer as every stop had diesel. There are sure a LOT more fuel stops than there used to be back in the day and there is diesel everywhere along I95. 75 mph speed limits are AWE-SUM!
Old 04-06-2017, 04:13 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

The Porsche cargo boxes are designed, tested, and fitted for our exact Cayenne dimensions and airflow.
I doubt that very much. The box has almost identical lines to a generic Thule box on their website.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:17 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BenCD
Last summer we had done the drive in the 2012 Touareg TDI and it was a blast. We did not see one single speed-trap on the way down or back up. Having a rabbit in front helps too.

I will definitely not worry about diesel this upcoming summer as every stop had diesel. There are sure a LOT more fuel stops than there used to be back in the day and there is diesel everywhere along I95. 75 mph speed limits are AWE-SUM!
Come west, young man... where the posted limit is 80 and the average speed (when you see other cars) is considerably higher than that!
Old 04-06-2017, 04:22 PM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Come west, young man... where the posted limit is 80 and the average speed (when you see other cars) is considerably higher than that!
Man, I would LOVE that. Posted speed limits of 80??? My gosh, I do need to move.

The highest it is posted in most of New England is 70 mph with 65 the norm.

Crusing at 90 with an 80-posted would be heaven-lee.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:26 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by williamsonoma
I use it to haul my girlfriend around.
Begs the question... does it/she make a whistle noise above 80MPH?
Old 04-06-2017, 10:49 PM
RS-America
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by RickDC
Thanks for the advice Gnat, much appreciated... I'm actually in the process of selling the canoe (which is one of those wide heavy weight fishing kayaks) and have bought a solid AquaGlide inflatable, which is just as good, but weighs 30lbs instead of 200lbs and fits easily on the trailer hitch carrier :-)
Rick, if you are coming south the dealer Service Manager -Jeff- that facilitated putting racks on other Cayenne's after delivery is now the manager at Cantrell's https://cantrellmotorsport.com - Cantrell and J&L Fabricating did most of the custom work on 'Otis' - would highly recommend both. The reason why some say this can not be retrofitted is because most do not want to drill the required mounting holes.

We definitely use our roof rack. Going off-road requires two full size spares and do not want more than one on top. Our 958 has a rear spare tire mount that attaches to the trailer hitch. This swings aside to access the tailgate. By center mounting the spare we have room for two 5 gallon Scepter US Military cans of fuel or water on each side. Our Trasharoo Trash Bag hangs on the tire outside and our Maxtrax between the tire and tailgate. We use the trailer hitch to mount the center and the two tow hook receptacles for lateral support. Ever see folks with bicycles mounted out back sway left & right? Not good out on the trail!
We can still use our trailer hitch - right now ours has a recovery shackle mounted there. Will try to get better photos this weekend to post at the link below.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:46 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I doubt that very much. The box has almost identical lines to a generic Thule box on their website.
Actually they are quite different. Take a look at the back of mine for starters. You won't find a Thule with the rearend shape as mine. And the underneath is matched for the exact widths of the cross bars. Our crossbars can only be placed in one specific position if you want to "lock" it into the rails. There is a small hole on the inside of the rails where our (Porsche) crossbars fit into. Then the cargo box lines up EXACTLY to this width. I don't think the Thule will, but I could be wrong. Lastly, my cargo box says "made in Germany" on the inside, so definitely not Thule.
We just got back from our 1600 mile trip and averaged 27.7 overall which included some city driving and lots of traffic! This is a calculated mpg as I keep a log, not the pcm computer which was higher. I drove 81-83 mph when I could.

Quick Reply: Roof rails, anyone that has them that has NOT used them?