RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
Wow, you really do it right!
Cheers,
TomF
Tom,
There is an active group that we Overland with called Northwest Overland - http://northwestoverland.com/
The big event for the year occurs in Plain, WA. from June 15 thru 18. The Northwest Overland Rally - http://www.nwoverlandrally.com/
If y'all have any interest in seeing what Overlanding is about come to Plain! If you cannot commit to all four days suggest coming by for a day on either Friday or Saturday when things are in full swing. If you do stop by and say hello. This will be the fourth year in for Otis. It is very family orientated! Check the NWOL Rally schedule as there are classes that might be of interest.
Hope to see you coloring outside those pesky Yellow & White lines!
By the way, as per WSDOT it was snowing this morning in Snoqualmie Pass.

Last edited by RS-America; 05-16-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:06 AM
h_____
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Love the pics, that view is amazing. Looks like you've got catering well sorted. :-)
Old 05-17-2017, 12:56 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by RS-America
Tom,
There is an active group that we Overland with called Northwest Overland - http://northwestoverland.com/
The big event for the year occurs in Plain, WA. from June 15 thru 18. The Northwest Overland Rally - http://www.nwoverlandrally.com/
If y'all have any interest in seeing what Overlanding is about come to Plain! If you cannot commit to all four days suggest coming by for a day on either Friday or Saturday when things are in full swing. If you do stop by and say hello. This will be the fourth year in for Otis. It is very family orientated! Check the NWOL Rally schedule as there are classes that might be of interest.
Hope to see you coloring outside those pesky Yellow & White lines!
By the way, as per WSDOT it was snowing this morning in Snoqualmie Pass.
Thanks very much for the invite. If I can make it, I'll bring the beer!

I was in Plain last weekend for a business retreat. My old cabin is up on Cedar Brae Road and I took time out to hike up to Hidden Lake before all the meetings.

I would love to jump over, but will have to play it by ear. My volunteer work (I'm an elected official) is keeping me very busy right now. I've got it on the calendar, and if the office doesn't burn down, I just might make it! (and I may bring my daughter as well...)

Cheers,
TomF
Old 06-13-2017, 12:28 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

This will be our fourth year attending the Northwest Overland Rally in Plain, Washington with Otis. Most of the 'Meet Otis' photos for Panorama's article were taken there last year. Understand that we will not be the only Cayenne there this year! The Exploring Elements folks rated 'Otis' as a Top Ten Adventure Mobile.
EVENT: Northwest Overland Rally 2016
http://www.exploringelements.com/eve...nd-rally-2016/
Northwest Overland Rally 2016: Top 10 Adventuremobile
http://www.exploringelements.com/nor...venturemobile/
Old 06-22-2017, 10:27 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

If you are near Seattle come out on 1-July for the Exotics @ Redmond Town Center. Expecting 300 Porsche’s – the featured marque of the day.
‘Otis’ will be in Center Court with the specialty/special interest Porsche’s. The video is of this seasons E@RTC opening day.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:40 AM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

I have gotten several requests for a build sheet and gear list, finally put one together. The only thing we would change are the roof racks. The Yakima Towers we have and Thule are not robust enough for what we do. Looking to replace these with Front Runner racks and accessories.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
imhighlander (11-02-2022)
Old 12-11-2017, 04:01 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Otis Redding passed 50 years ago yesterday.
As we had never named a car before, folks ask us why 'Otis' - The answer, when we ordered from Porsche they told us which ship ours was being delivered on. Watched as it steamed across the pond, thru the Panama Canal, and onto San Diego. From there it was supposed to be a short trip by land up to Seattle. The short trip via land was delayed as the Customs, EPA, and CARB clearances had not been started for the first shipment of Cayenne diesels into North America. Thus Otis was singing to us his fate:
" I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away
Ooo, I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time "
Old 12-11-2017, 04:03 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Hopefully your air suspension is on high - if you start to bog down simply lower the suspension to compact the snow. Great for restoring traction vs breaking out the recovery gear.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:26 PM
h_____
Instructor

Brilliant!! I'm in no hurry to give up the air suspension.

Love what you are doing with the car, some really cool events in really cool (literally) places.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:12 AM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Folks have asked how effective paint protecting wrap is. We are prone to getting ours quite dirty and travel narrow trails getting plenty of 'pin striping'. "Otis' has a full body wrap using Xpel Ultimate satin stealth. From the below photos one has so much mud that it is actually cracking off. Another shows pin striping after traveling on a fairly technical trail that was quite narrow. The last photo is by Jason Tang taken at the Exotics@RTC car show, we do clean up nicely. Notice how the sides look after the dirt and grim are cleaned off. Our five year old full body wrap is a lot cheaper than a repaint - we did not get the roof wrapped, everything else is.
Doing what we do, we also spend a lot of time cleaning and maintaining our equipment and vehicle. As we take the roads less traveled we need for our equipment and vehicle to not fail us. Being well beyond cell phone coverage, HAM radio and satellites are our life line.

Folks have asked how effective paint protecting wrap is. We are prone to getting ours quite dirty and travel narrow trails getting plenty of 'pin striping'. "Otis' has a full body wrap using Xpel Ultimate satin stealth. From the below photos one has so much mud that it is actually cracking off. Another shows pin striping after traveling on a fairly technical trail that was quite narrow. The last photo is by Jason Tang taken at the Exotics@RTC car show, we do clean up nicely. Notice how the sides look after the dirt and grim are cleaned off. Our five year old full body wrap is a lot cheaper than a repaint - we did not get the roof wrapped, everything else is.
Doing what we do, we also spend a lot of time cleaning and maintaining our equipment and vehicle. As we take the roads less traveled we need for our equipment and vehicle to not fail us. Being well beyond cell phone coverage, HAM radio and satellites are our life line.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:35 AM
kraeburn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Incredibly awesome. Love it.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:18 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

It'll be great to see how the wrap looks after some brush 'stripes' it the next time you're out on a trail.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:30 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wkearney99
It'll be great to see how the wrap looks after some brush 'stripes' it the next time you're out on a trail.
We have had five years of pin striping like this from off-road Rally and Overlanding so far. Still cleans up nicely. It is warrantied for 10 years, will be interesting to see how long ours lasts. Our next off-road Rally is this February in Merritt, BC - it will be the 800km Thunderbird Rally. Plenty of snow and ice on T-Bird the Round 1 of the 2018 BC TSD Rally Championship. For info on what the Thunderbird Rally is about see pages 19 to 23 -- http://digital.nexsitepublishing.com/i/259963-june-2013

Last edited by RS-America; 12-21-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:08 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garrett376
Thanks Richard - I just checked out the panorama image and would like to see pics of the front skid plate and its bumper mounting and underside attachments. So you haven't had a need to have any rocker protection, as I see you have the standard plastic covers on there still? Also I see you don't run the factory plastic stone guards in the rear suspension frame and a-arms. Also, if you don't mind elaborating, how is the front bush bar actually threaded/attached into the front tow hook mounts since I don't see a mount bolt on the face? Very slick design, especially those park assist sensors!!
Garrett376 --- Will go thru old photos and post some of the skid plates here.
To mount the Bush bar we took two Porsche tow hooks and cut the loops off, then welded a nut to the tow hook shaft. This assembly then pass thru the bush bar and fastens to the tow hook receptacles in the frame. The plate to the left of the bush bar (passenger side) was intended to mount a JOST-World Rockinger brand multi receiver. Changed plans and decided to use a more common 2" receiver. We have been winched out using a shackle attached to the front receiver, did not notice any deflection. Skid plates make wonderful toboggans, with momentum we were high centered just enough on a snow drift to loose traction. The front of the skid plate is attached to the bush bar. The front plastic under engine panel was left on as it still fit after our modifications, directs air flow, and lastly kept a nicer look. Not into 'looking the part' we are prepared and have gone anywhere we chose. That said, we are not interested in rock climbing or mud-holeing.
We do have rock sliders that are integrated into the front and rear jack points. There is an additional pad added in the middle just for support.

Best would be if admin's would put another group at the same level as Cayenne 958 - 2011 --> for 'Off-Road & Overland Cayennes'
Especially as all models are out exploring roads less taken, coloring outside the yellow & white lines!
Old 12-27-2017, 11:48 AM
h_____
Instructor

Best would be if admin's would put another group at the same level as Cayenne 958 - 2011 --> for 'Off-Road & Overland Cayennes'
Especially as all models are out exploring roads less taken, coloring outside the yellow & white lines!

Agree - this would be useful for sure!!

Quick Reply: Meet Otis