Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Meet Otis

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 12:11 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

Time Speed Distance road rally - opens some beautiful roads less traveled. This weekend will be our first as Rally Masters for the RASC Raindrop Rally based out of Chehalis, WA. Expecting glorious views of Mt Rainier and Mt St Helens.
Looking forward to this summers Nor'Wester - it will be the 50th anniversary of its running. Nor'Wester will be a three day rally based out of Lewiston, ID all on gravel roads.
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2017, 08:16 PM
DarylJ
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RS-America
we are looking at the newer tire on the block, BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2
Those just went on mine, but I haven't had them on long enough for a proper report.

They did very well on logging trails without being aired down, and have satisfactory (I know this is really subjective) road noise. You definitely know they are on there as compared to the stock Scorpions via noise level, but so far so good for normal tarmac driving situations and handling.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:10 AM
h_____
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just chipping in, as threads on off road cayennes are few and far between. I've just put BFgoodrich ko2 265/65/18s on our GTS 957.

Early days, but will update.

Its great to see cars like OTIS out there, good to see what issues you experience and how you get around them. I love the rear setup for wheel and water. We are reduced to putting it on the roof on long trips and in the boot for short trips. Being in UAE, most of our trips are Sand dunes, or trails.

I've been keeping our exploits updated here

www.facebook.com/CayenneGTSOffroad

I'm keen to keep in touch with global people doing the same thing to share experiences.

My other challenges right now, are airbags potentially going off whilst side cresting on sand (sorted by disconnecting the module), and keeping the top ride height setting whilst going quickly for short periods.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:33 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by DarylJ
Those just went on mine, but I haven't had them on long enough for a proper report.

They did very well on logging trails without being aired down, and have satisfactory (I know this is really subjective) road noise. You definitely know they are on there as compared to the stock Scorpions via noise level, but so far so good for normal tarmac driving situations and handling.
That's one helluva aspect ratio - those tires have a sidewall of just over 6-3/4"! No skinny tires here. Looks good in the environment shown.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:40 AM
h_____
Instructor

Check out the tyre pictures here

Facebook Post

I've put the same tyres on my car, as stated above. They are about 31.6" diameter, which seems to be about as big as you can go. All my friends with with Pajeros / LCs / Patrols have 70 profile as min. The cayenne is capable but has limits as discussed above. The ramp and exit angle as described above is a big factor for me, although on full high air suspension, these tyres and removal of lower bumper bodywork (again see pics), I'm about as good as a standard pajero, but nothing like an FJ.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:05 AM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by h_____
Just chipping in, as threads on off road cayennes are few and far between. I've just put BFgoodrich ko2 265/65/18s on our GTS 957.
Early days, but will update. Its great to see cars like OTIS out there, good to see what issues you experience and how you get around them. I love the rear setup for wheel and water. We are reduced to putting it on the roof on long trips and in the boot for short trips. Being in UAE, most of our trips are Sand dunes, or trails. I've been keeping our exploits updated here www.facebook.com/CayenneGTSOffroad I'm keen to keep in touch with global people doing the same thing to share experiences. My other challenges right now, are airbags potentially going off whilst side cresting on sand (sorted by disconnecting the module), and keeping the top ride height setting whilst going quickly for short periods.
Agree that there is not one place for Cayenne Overland posts on Rennlist. The several that have been put up get lost - buried beneath the bulk of other topics. Would like to see the admins have a separate space under the main Cayenne section for folks who enjoy going off-road.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:49 AM
h_____
Instructor

Would second that request. Currently I rotate between, here, renntech and expiditionportal for info.

None cover it completely. Sadly I dont think there are many of us using the cars this way. Information is very patchy, hence my great in interest in what you guys are up to.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:10 AM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

305/50 R20 cooper LTZ

+40mm body lift, +20mm lift at suspension, in normal suspension setting. It's VERY high compared to a standard cayenne. The attack angles are greatly improved and it's surprisingly capable offroad, especially with disconnectable sway bars.

Last edited by user 83838290; 08-22-2020 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:45 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

With PCCB's?
Old 05-14-2017, 10:53 AM
user 83838290
Banned

Originally Posted by sclemmons
With PCCB's?
Yup
Old 05-14-2017, 12:25 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by sclemmons
With PCCB's?
Ugh, I don't wanna think about the parts replacement costs for that WHEN a rock gets in-between the brake pieces. Bad enough on my Jeeps when it'd happen. Not often but not rare either.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:20 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Originally Posted by wkearney99
Ugh, I don't wanna think about the parts replacement costs for that WHEN a rock gets in-between the brake pieces. Bad enough on my Jeeps when it'd happen. Not often but not rare either.
Yeah, well, some people just want to see the world burn ;-)
Old 05-15-2017, 12:01 AM
h_____
Instructor

That does look like it has good angles, is it on Air Suspension? I just picked up on this "in normal suspension setting."

If its air, keen to see how you've lifted it.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:06 AM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Really full schedule these last two weeks. Semi-annual pub crawl about Portland, Oregon, then getting stranded on the way home by AmTrak in Centralia, WA due to mud slides. Lucky there was a McMenamins pub/hotel across the street for more beer and a place to stay. On return left to lead the Raindrop TSD Rally, our first attempt as the rally master. Raindrop was fun but would not have been successful without a lot of hand holding from the Rainier Auto Sports Club. Then left for our first trip for the year to Dry Falls. This area was a huge waterfall created from the melt after the ice age ended. First stop after borrowing a canoe was Boundary Bay Brewery in Bellingham. Camped out and kept dry thru the rain, sun came out for paddling the lakes. Folks have asked what we eat on the trail. Breakfast always starts with an espresso this trip we had eggs benedict. Supper was pizza and beer. Pizza had smoked salmon, cherry tomatoes, goat cheese, fresh morel mushroom, asparagus tips, lemon olive oil, finished with fresh basil. Finished our trip at another favorite spot, Fire & Smoke BBQ in Ellensburg, WA. Always good to check out the gear prior to a longer trip. We are looking into getting a folding kayak - a lot easier than trying to lift a standard canoe and aerodynamically more efficient atop Otis - https://www.klepperamerica.com/
Attached Images         
The following users liked this post:
imhighlander (11-02-2022)
Old 05-16-2017, 01:10 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Wow, you really do it right!

Cheers,
TomF

Quick Reply: Meet Otis