Sponsored by:

Help with HomeLink needed, getting frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 03:39 PM
Torre
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help with HomeLink needed, getting frustrated

Issue: Unable to program HomeLink after 10+ attempts.

Door motor: Sommer Marathon Tiga 1100 SL

Car: 957 CTT -08 (Actually a -07, but I know you guys in the US don't have that model year so lets call it a -08)

I've tried the following approaches:

Reset by holding outer buttons -> holding remote 1-3 inches from the panel and simultaneously pressing the remote and the button I've chosen. Problem is that after a while the slow blinking light flashes twice fast and then switches off. According to the manual it should start continuously flashing fast when the remote has synced.

After this if you get a constant light when pressing you're good to go, if blinks fast for 2 secs then constant you have a rolling code and need to teach the motor, but instead I get a constant light and then starts slowly flashing. Does this mean the remote did not program at all? I also notice the light on the remote is not constant when you press it down, but is blinking as if it's sending many short signals and not one long one

I've also tried adding the step of pressing the "Code" button on the motor, as that seems per the manual to be the "Learn" button, but no cigar. I also tried the process without the remote by pressing all three buttons until the light goes off, then press the learn button and make 2-3 few sec presses on the desired button. But no.. I've tried all of this both inside and outside the garage.

Can someone describe me exactly the steps you did, where you held the remote, where the car was standing, how long did you press the button after you pressed the learn button on the garage motor etc.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:52 PM
Ex968racer
Instructor

I never had luck with programming a rolling code opener with a remote. I programmed my 08 Cayenne by pressing the learn mode on the door opener (an Led started to flash)then pressing and holding the button on the car. The door opened in less than 5 seconds.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:57 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

I put my cayenne directly above the garage motor hit the button on motor then did the homelink from pepper. Mike
Old 11-23-2016, 04:16 PM
Torre
Racer

Thanks guys, when you pressed the button in the car, did you just hold it or did you make short 2 sec presses like the manual says? And did you hold the learn button pressed on the motor or just pressed it briefly?

Thanks.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:27 PM
raolc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a thread here that might help: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...-problems.html

Most people found this post helpful:

Originally Posted by DJ23
Finally took the time to really try and program my home link today. And yes it finally worked. For those who are still having an issue here is how I finally accomplished it.

1.) Clear any codes by pressig the outer 1 and 3 buttons simultaneously until the diode (to the right) starts to flash quickly.
2.) Then press the desired button you want to program until the diode begins to flash slowly.
3.) Hold tansmitter approx. 12 inches in front of bumper and press transmit button on remote until the daytime driving lights flash 3 times.
4.) Now press the "learn" button on the motor box of your garage door opener. A red indicator light will flash on the box. I had to use a ladder to do this and park my car just in front of the garage so that it would pick up the signal. Once the red learning light flashes get back in your car and push the same button that you are programing repeatedly until the garage door responds to the programmed button. I had to push my program button 4 times to learn the code, and have the garage door respond to the new signal.

That was it. You will know if you have a "learn" button on your motor box. Most motor boxes that have a little wire hanging down from them are learn, applicable boxes.

For those who have had a difficult time programming home link, try this. If it sitll doesn't work then call Home Link themselves to assist you. They have a 800 number on the internet to call.

Jay
If that is not enough, this might help (that's what gave me a hard time last time):

Originally Posted by raolc
DJ's instructions have always worked for me in the past but this time was really a struggle.

In the end I discovered two thing's to get it working:

1) There's a limit to how many remotes you can program. If it's not working, you might need to reset the motor's memory and start over (which was the case for me). Instructions for that are here: http://geniehelp.com/genie-intellico...tructions.html

2) Some remotes require that you use certain buttons. In my example my remote had 3 buttons and for some reason it was stated somewhere that I needed to use the 2 smaller buttons. Not sure if this was the issue for me, since I did this at the same time that I tried #1 .

Now it's finally working for me!
Old 11-23-2016, 06:16 PM
Ex968racer
Instructor

I pressed and held mine but it probably only took 2 seconds before it activated the motor.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:33 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,620 Likes on 4,208 Posts

Pressing and holding in the button on the motor erases all previously linked remotes from the motor memory. When you get to that step, you just want to present the button on the motor once, then press the button in the car and watch for the main light on the motor to change and/or the door to move.

You were starting correctly though. First thing you need to do is program your handheld remote to the car. Clear the car by holding the outer two buttons, then follow the instructions for teaching the car from the handheld remote, then teach the motor from the Homelink button in the car you just programmed.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:00 AM
Torre
Racer

Originally Posted by Petza914
Pressing and holding in the button on the motor erases all previously linked remotes from the motor memory.
Yea I would not want to be doing that, since I live in an apartment building with a large car garage - I don't think I would be a very popular guy after this..

The thing is that it does not seem to want to learn the remote, and just pressing the button on the motor and then holding the button in the car also has not done anything. Is it possible that I am having the "Security 2.0" issue, where the HomeLink is no longer compatible with the door motor? I have no idea what year the door motor was installed, but the house was built in 2008.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:17 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 135 Posts

Did you check with Sommer?

http://www.sommer-usa.com/homelink.html

I'd contact them directly and explain the apartment building situation. That may introduce complications that have to be worked around differently.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:23 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,620 Likes on 4,208 Posts

Originally Posted by Torre
Yea I would not want to be doing that, since I live in an apartment building with a large car garage - I don't think I would be a very popular guy after this..

The thing is that it does not seem to want to learn the remote, and just pressing the button on the motor and then holding the button in the car also has not done anything. Is it possible that I am having the "Security 2.0" issue, where the HomeLink is no longer compatible with the door motor? I have no idea what year the door motor was installed, but the house was built in 2008.
2008 should be new enough where the opener is the rolling code variety. In either case, if you have a handheld opener that opens the door, you should be able to teach that opener to the car, whether it's the older style or newer style.

Someone linked you to the 997 forum article. During programming on that car, you have to stand at the front and hold the handheld remote in a specific place, then watch the bumper lights for a flash to confirm the car learned the remote. Trying to do it from inside the car won't work. Maybe it's similar on the Cayenne.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:06 AM
Ex968racer
Instructor

My coworker had to get a bridge device to connect with his opener in his Acura. He found this out by contacting Homelink tech support. Apparently some openers use a different protocol than others and this does the translation.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:16 AM
Lionworks Auto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've learned that must use the ORIGInAL opener that came with the motor. This has been true on 2 cayennes and 2 range rovers for us. Must use the opener that came with the motor. If I tried using the 3 button aftermarket key chain types, can't program the homelink.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:19 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Lionworks Auto
I've learned that must use the ORIGInAL opener that came with the motor. This has been true on 2 cayennes and 2 range rovers for us. Must use the opener that came with the motor. If I tried using the 3 button aftermarket key chain types, can't program the homelink.
Plus make sure the opener remote has fresh batteries.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:10 PM
Torre
Racer

Originally Posted by Lionworks Auto
I don't know about originality, but the door motor is a Sommer and the remote says Sommer on it as well. I will try again tomorrow, if not I will give HomeLink a ring.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:54 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 351 Posts

You need a bridge. The older cars Homelink can't communicate with the newer rolling code garage door openers.

I went through this with my new Liftmaster openers. Neither the Homelink in my '06 CTTS or my wife's '08 GX470 would work. I called Homelink and they sent me a bridge for free, just had to pay shipping.

Plugged it in and then I was able to program the Homelink in both cars just fine using the procedure in the manuals.

Quick Reply: Help with HomeLink needed, getting frustrated