Sponsored by:

Home Link problems.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 10:27 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Home Link problems.

I know there are a lot of posts on Home Link, but I was wondering if anyone has link to the one article that will help me solve this problem. I've done everything. I've even read a few of the searches, nothing is working. It could very well be my garage door opener. Maybe the signal isn't acceptable. Need help.

Jay
Old 03-28-2010, 12:23 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Jay,

If it's anything like my 997.1, it was tough to get the code to take. I had to have the garage remote angled a particular direction just perfectly in front of the bumper sensor area for it to work. It took multiple attempts.

It works great once I got the code in there.

Have you tried a backup remote? Perhaps re-syncing the remote with the opener first, confirm function, then sync the remote with the turbo. Potentially, could be a scrolling code mode issue with your opener.

Good luck!
Old 03-28-2010, 01:25 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
Jay,

If it's anything like my 997.1, it was tough to get the code to take. I had to have the garage remote angled a particular direction just perfectly in front of the bumper sensor area for it to work. It took multiple attempts.

It works great once I got the code in there.

Have you tried a backup remote? Perhaps re-syncing the remote with the opener first, confirm function, then sync the remote with the turbo. Potentially, could be a scrolling code mode issue with your opener.

Good luck!
Thanks. I will try this and see if I can get it to work.

Jay
Old 03-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

The P car home link stinks. Try to put the hand held remote in front of the front bumper right side when you program and see if that works. In my MB it took all of 5 seconds to program the buttons

Last edited by Bob in NY; 03-28-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:03 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine was a pia also, eventually took after about ten tries following the directions to the letter.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Alex.M
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You may have a "floating code" - check your garage door motor. You may need to press a couple more buttons than you think.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

My 997.2 was a snap. Clear any stored codes in the homelink (see your manual) then use a working remote to train the homelink. I had to press my old remote about 4-5 times. Once I got the indication that homelink was trained (flash rate changes on the homelink led on the button) , I press the "smart" button on the drive motor housing and then rush to the car to press the desired homelink button. No issues.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:00 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
My 997.2 was a snap. Clear any stored codes in the homelink (see your manual) then use a working remote to train the homelink. I had to press my old remote about 4-5 times. Once I got the indication that homelink was trained (flash rate changes on the homelink led on the button) , I press the "smart" button on the drive motor housing and then rush to the car to press the desired homelink button. No issues.
Sounds plausible. I will let you know how successful I am.

Jay
Old 04-11-2010, 03:04 AM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

most garage doors these days have a rolling/floating code type thing. You'll have to program the car using your home remote, then hit the learn button on the actual garage opener motor housing and hit the button in the p-car. That way it will know its not someone who jacked your code last time you pressed the button is trying to get in and it's you....using your home link system.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:30 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
+1

I set mine up while my wife waited with her RR running in the laneway to drive me back to the office to pick up my RS4. It was all of one minute. Followed the manual (ie: clearing factory codes) which I think is key.....
Old 10-10-2010, 02:00 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Finally took the time to really try and program my home link today. And yes it finally worked. For those who are still having an issue here is how I finally accomplished it.

1.) Clear any codes by pressig the outer 1 and 3 buttons simultaneously until the diode (to the right) starts to flash quickly.
2.) Then press the desired button you want to program until the diode begins to flash slowly.
3.) Hold tansmitter approx. 12 inches in front of bumper and press transmit button on remote until the daytime driving lights flash 3 times.
4.) Now press the "learn" button on the motor box of your garage door opener. A red indicator light will flash on the box. I had to use a ladder to do this and park my car just in front of the garage so that it would pick up the signal. Once the red learning light flashes get back in your car and push the same button that you are programing repeatedly until the garage door responds to the programmed button. I had to push my program button 4 times to learn the code, and have the garage door respond to the new signal.

That was it. You will know if you have a "learn" button on your motor box. Most motor boxes that have a little wire hanging down from them are learn, applicable boxes.

For those who have had a difficult time programming home link, try this. If it sitll doesn't work then call Home Link themselves to assist you. They have a 800 number on the internet to call.

Jay
The following users liked this post:
Andy Wang (05-20-2021)
Old 10-10-2010, 10:04 AM
indesj01
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

congrats on success that can be such a pain and thanks for the instructions
Old 10-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 925 Likes on 559 Posts

I think mine may be due for a reprogramming. Range has dropped from 100' to 30' in the past year.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DJ23
Finally took the time to really try and program my home link today. And yes it finally worked. For those who are still having an issue here is how I finally accomplished it.

1.) Clear any codes by pressig the outer 1 and 3 buttons simultaneously until the diode (to the right) starts to flash quickly.
2.) Then press the desired button you want to program until the diode begins to flash slowly.
3.) Hold tansmitter approx. 12 inches in front of bumper and press transmit button on remote until the daytime driving lights flash 3 times.
4.) Now press the "learn" button on the motor box of your garage door opener. A red indicator light will flash on the box. I had to use a ladder to do this and park my car just in front of the garage so that it would pick up the signal. Once the red learning light flashes get back in your car and push the same button that you are programing repeatedly until the garage door responds to the programmed button. I had to push my program button 4 times to learn the code, and have the garage door respond to the new signal.

That was it. You will know if you have a "learn" button on your motor box. Most motor boxes that have a little wire hanging down from them are learn, applicable boxes.

For those who have had a difficult time programming home link, try this. If it sitll doesn't work then call Home Link themselves to assist you. They have a 800 number on the internet to call.

Jay
Just followed your instructions and it was a snap-thanks for posting!
Old 10-27-2011, 12:18 AM
deanslist911
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you, Jay.

I have tried, with great frustration, to program Home Link on my new (new to me, 2008 997 S) car nearly a dozen times without success. I asked my local dealer, I went to homelink.ca and I followed the instructions in the manual and other forums to no avail. DJ23's instructions were my last attempt before putting the car away for the winter. It would be bad enough to stare at a car cover for 5 months without the painful reminder I'll have to go back to the "clicker" in the spring.

The directions worked, and I wanted to say thank you for taking the time to post the information. I'm new to Porsche so I was a little concerned about taking care of it (the car is a lot of money for me). I have truly been impressed with the service from dealers and willingness of other owners to share solutions and talk about their cars.

Cheers,

Dean

Quick Reply: Home Link problems.