Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone in South Dakota? Help! Stranded!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 03:32 PM
Villian
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Anyone in South Dakota? Help! Stranded!!

A good friend is borrowing my pepper to pick up a horse she's rescuing in Florida and transporting back to Montana, but 700 miles into the trip the transmission has begun slipping and now seemingly failed altogether. The car is stuck near Chamberlain and in the process of being towed to a nearby service station, however I do not know if there's much of anything they're going to be able to do with it. I chose to forgo the trip to work this week, but is there anyone in the area who might be able to lend a hand, or any help of any kind? I feel horrible that my friend, and two friends of hers are stuck in the middle of nowhere right now due to my cars failure. My car has been an otherwise amazing vehicle! I've racked up nearly 30k miles this year alone
Old 06-27-2016, 04:59 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

You might look to see if there is a local PCA club and reach out to some in the club via their website.

Last edited by function12; 06-28-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:58 PM
Villian
Instructor

Good idea. I'll have to check. Transmission is shot. My friends are car (truck) shopping. Looks like I'll be trailering back my car sometime in the near future for a new tranny
Old 06-30-2016, 11:53 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

How many miles are on your Cayenne? Did they notice any fluid leaking?
Old 06-30-2016, 01:28 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Villian
Good idea. I'll have to check. Transmission is shot. My friends are car (truck) shopping. Looks like I'll be trailering back my car sometime in the near future for a new tranny
I'm not sure I've ever heard of a tranny failing on these. Valve body perhaps? Keep the forum updated for sure.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:04 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Total transmission failure is unusual. Any warning messages before it died? Smoke?

A trans seal let go on my 04CS which left me stranded. No warning messages, just a trail of smoke.
Replaced seal, filled with fluid and was good until sold.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:49 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by v10rick
... Replaced seal, filled with fluid and was good until sold.
aaaand Then it blew up. Good timing on the sale Rick!! ... just kidding

but seriously Villian, don't let them just blanket say the tranny is "shot" & needs to be replaced. You are right to tow it back to your home town & get your own service guys to look at it.

oh, and ONLY have it flat bed towed. Do not allow them to dolly tow by 2 wheels!!

Best of luck.
=Steve
Old 06-30-2016, 08:07 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, I have replaced all ancillary prone to failure parts 2-3 times over or more and still not killed anything.

shafts (never blew up the gears or tranny from the failure point being the bearing)
Valve body ( wears out but rip and replace and good fluid habits it trucks along)
Gaskets (Texas heat and mild winters eventually wear them down)
blower motors (Texas heat, plastic, and bearings)

A decent wholesale rebuild of aisin is about 3k too, so dont throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Or let me know a price
Old 06-30-2016, 08:51 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
aaaand Then it blew up. Good timing on the sale Rick!! ... just kidding

but seriously Villian, don't let them just blanket say the tranny is "shot" & needs to be replaced. You are right to tow it back to your home town & get your own service guys to look at it.

oh, and ONLY have it flat bed towed. Do not allow them to dolly tow by 2 wheels!!

Best of luck.
=Steve
Steve the Euro Indy shop test drove the CS after the gasket fix. Using a stethoscope insisted they were hearing signs of cavitation and wanted to flush the transmission, at $100/qt plus whatever else. Thinking they were confusing this with sounds of a cash register I declined. They required that I sign a waver releasing them of any liability. Put another 30K mi on the CS, that sounded perfectly normal to me, then sold it.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:32 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks like there's a VW dealer in Rapid City. Are there enough similarities between a 955 transmission and a VW Touareg that a VW dealer in SD could check it without flatbedding it all the way back to Montana?
Old 07-01-2016, 12:45 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DWC in Sedona
Looks like there's a VW dealer in Rapid City. Are there enough similarities between a 955 transmission and a VW Touareg that a VW dealer in SD could check it without flatbedding it all the way back to Montana?
TL; DR, Yes....it's similar and rebuilds/parts easy to source.

Google keep notes

The Japanese company AISIN Co., LTD is the manufacturer and developer of the Rear Wheel Drive TR60SN transmission, which is a 6 speed, fully automatic and electronic controlled transmission. Volkswagen engineers were also involved, in conjunction with Aisin, in the development process for their vehicles and Volkswagen gave it the "09D" designation. The TR60SN, 09D transmission is used in a wide variety of applications and engine sizes. As a result, the number of friction plates, and planetary gears (3 or 4 pinion), will vary depending on torque load requirements of the specific vehicle. The TR60SN transmission uses a gear ratio sensitive system, requiring the correct transmission interchange. The TR60-SN is currently used in the Porsche Cayenne, Volkswagen Touareg, and Audi Q7 vehicles. The 09D transmission uses a Lepelletier arrangement, using a simple planetary coupled with a Ravigneaux type, dual planetary. This is the same type of gear set that was used in the FMX. This arrangement makes six forward speeds and reverse possible, with only five clutch packs and one freewheel. This manual contains the procedures necessary to diagnose, rebuild and/or repair the TR60SN "09D" transmission and is intended for automotive technicians that are familiar with the operation of automatic transmissions. 09 09A (JF506E) 09D (TR-60SN) 09E (ZF6HP26) 09G 09G (TF-60SN) 09K (TF-60SN) 09L (TR-60SN) 09L (ZF6HP19) 09M (TF-60SN)

Last edited by cordsig79; 07-01-2016 at 01:12 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:32 PM
Villian
Instructor

Time for an update! The three people who were stranded after the cars failure bought a new truck at a dealership in SD to finish the trip to Florida and back. I picked the Cayenne up and towed it back with another Cayenne a week after my original post. The car has roughly 140k miles, and the symptoms were that the transmission would slip and totally disengage momentarily, before reengaging with a harsh, quick catch. I just got enough time this weekend to finally drain out the transmission and pull the pan. The following pics show what I found! What do you guys think? Any idea what I'm looking at here?

And the obligatory towing a Cayenne with a Cayenne pictures...

Notice something funny there? Yep, we've both experienced transmission failures now and towed each others cars for the same reason, but at different times! Ironically enough.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:01 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

I think aliens have taken over your transmission. I can't recall ever seeing anything quite that ugly, but if that picture was taken out of context (not in this thread) and just shown standing alone - I bet almost anyone would agree with me.

I believe it's new transmission time. A change of fluid is not going to fix what's wrong with that transmission.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:12 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

... What do you guys think? ...
Should have bought my '04 tt a couple years back when you were looking :P

I'm sort of glad you didn't though, I'd be rolling in a GM now.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:18 AM
Villian
Instructor

Originally Posted by AGARubberDuck
Should have bought my '04 tt a couple years back when you were looking :P

I'm sort of glad you didn't though, I'd be rolling in a GM now.
I already had my Cayenne at that point

You're thinking of my friend.. who ironically picked one up that ended up needing a transmission lol

Quick Reply: Anyone in South Dakota? Help! Stranded!!