Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9" Android Radio Install Review

Old 06-11-2016, 02:48 AM
hgupta
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vidyashankara
I just got the obd2 Bluetooth adaptor. How do I connect it? I connected to the port and I see it on the list of Bluetooth devices. But when I can't connect to it. It does not ask me for code when I tap on it. What do I do? When I long-tap it, it gives me three options neither of which does anything
I also tried a new OBD2 connector today. You're doing it right by long tapping it, and selecting the middle option. Oddly enough, the radio does not do a good job of telling you once it is paired, and the bluetooth logo didn't indicate that it was connected. However, when I tried the software, it said it was connected. So I guess it happened, and I wasn't even aware of it.

Bluetooth by far is the worst aspect of these radios.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:21 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I found that the newer bluetooth ODB2 devices require a pin and the radio doesnt like that. I have to use the older/cheaper OBD2 ELM327 device. $6 on amazon.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:54 PM
Shark1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my head unit on Friday. I'm going to install tomorrow. Can someone tell for the optic amp module, which RCA output did someone use to connect?
Old 06-13-2016, 11:58 AM
hgupta
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shark1
I got my head unit on Friday. I'm going to install tomorrow. Can someone tell for the optic amp module, which RCA output did someone use to connect?
Front L and R.

By the way, I bought wires anticipating that I would need them. (Or I had them lying around from other planned upgrades). Turned out I did not need them based on the options in my car already.

If any of you need any of the following, let me know:

MOST Bus adapter (identical to one from Seicane), but AVIN branded.
Twin Fakra to DIN cable (to take advantage of diversity antenna) as mentioned early in this thread.
Single Din back to Fakra converter cable for radio antenna (also mentioned earlier).
SMA male to Fakra C male RG174 cable 2m length (for connecting to GPS antenna under passenger seat).
Seicane GPS antenna

I need to get rid of these, so if anyone is doing this install, let me know and you can have them for what I paid and fast shipping.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:13 PM
Vidyashankara
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hgupta
I also tried a new OBD2 connector today. You're doing it right by long tapping it, and selecting the middle option. Oddly enough, the radio does not do a good job of telling you once it is paired, and the bluetooth logo didn't indicate that it was connected. However, when I tried the software, it said it was connected. So I guess it happened, and I wasn't even aware of it.

Bluetooth by far is the worst aspect of these radios.
Yes, I figured that out as well. It never showed the connected icon for the OBDII connector. But it was actually connected.

But my torque pro widgets keep crashing on boot. Any ideas how to fix that?
Old 06-13-2016, 03:31 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Yes, I figured that out as well. It never showed the connected icon for the OBDII connector. But it was actually connected.

But my torque pro widgets keep crashing on boot. Any ideas how to fix that?
That's odd. I didn't have that issue. All I can think is to reset them (clear cache and data) in settings>app. Also, what launcher are you using?
Old 06-13-2016, 04:30 PM
Shark1
AutoX

Is there a way to turn off the screen but still have music playing. On my e46, all I have to do was to hold down the mute button.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:07 PM
Vidyashankara
Instructor

Man I am so annoyed with my these guys.

My gps antenna did not work, so they sent me a replaced after 30 days. They sent me two gps antennas, neither with the blue fakra connector. They send one with a male SMA and another with a female SMA and a USB.. No way to connect either, now I need to wait another 30 days to get the replacement GPS antenna. These guys are so bad in customer service, when I call them, they ask me to email.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:30 AM
hgupta
Instructor

Man I am so annoyed with my these guys.

My gps antenna did not work, so they sent me a replaced after 30 days. They sent me two gps antennas, neither with the blue fakra connector. They send one with a male SMA and another with a female SMA and a USB.. No way to connect either, now I need to wait another 30 days to get the replacement GPS antenna. These guys are so bad in customer service, when I call them, they ask me to email.
That's frustrating! Want my spare one? I can put it in the mail tomorrow. When you get the right one from them, you can send it to me.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:38 AM
hgupta
Instructor

Got my custom anti-glare screen protector from lexerd. They make the filters for lots of vehicle GPS systems. It fits perfectly, but the screen is slightlier blurry (which is true of all of these anti-glare screens). But I can see it in full sun!
The exact dimensions of the screen are 8-13/16in by 4-15/16in and you would order the medium size, cut to custom.

I am interested to hear other anti glare solutions that you may have tried.

A week in, still loving this system. But Google maps just started crashing, so I am stuck with Waze..which is nice, but I really like Google maps. Something I installed is not playing well with it.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:38 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there a way to turn off the screen but still have music playing. On my e46, all I have to do was to hold down the mute button.
Yes - drag down the notification bar from the top of the screen. Press the brightness button once for 50%, press it again for 0%. Touch the screen to turn if back on.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:00 AM
Vidyashankara
Instructor

Hgupta, that's awesome! Could you do that? That would be great! I pm'd you! Thanks a ton buddy
Old 06-14-2016, 09:06 AM
Shark1
AutoX

Originally Posted by morrisdl
Yes - drag down the notification bar from the top of the screen. Press the brightness button once for 50%, press it again for 0%. Touch the screen to turn if back on.
Thank you

We need to start another thread for options, features and Easter eggs for the head unit
Old 06-14-2016, 11:22 PM
drift1492
Intermediate

Thank you

We need to start another thread for options, features and Easter eggs for the head unit
How about some pictures of the main screen you guys use while driving or some pictures of the apps you are using.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:02 AM
Vidyashankara
Instructor

Turns out the GPS antenna they sent me was a signal amplified that was supposed to work with the antenna they sent me earlier. When I open the GPS Test app I see like 15 satellites now. But it is still unable to give me a location. Can anyone post a picture of the iGo screenshot and the GPS test app screenshot?

I don't know if I am doing something wrong.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 9" Android Radio Install Review