Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9" Android Radio Install Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 04:09 AM
bl79
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, asked for refund, got no response. Asked ebay to step in and of course the seller instantly refunds my money then (annoying since you need to wait a week to ask ebay for help). I haven't received any return instructions yet thank god.

Got a new MOST adapter from avinusa and it works a treat. NOTE however that their wiring instructions are different. They instruct wiring both yellow and red wires to 12V switched. So no constant 12V at all. Not sure if that was enough to cause my issues (I doubt it) but oh well.

Anyhow it works great now. Seems avinusa offer a warranty. If I'd known I would've just ordered from them to begin with. Not that much more expense (100$)
https://avinusa.com/most-fiber-optic...e-cayenne.html

Now that I'm using the head unit more I notice the touch sensitivity seems really poor. Any setting to improve this? Also is anyone aware of how to get the latest software flash (as in their proprietary one, not latest android)?
Old 06-16-2018, 01:20 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

DUTCH8: I understand the park assist is independent from the MOST network, so did you lose both the audio/visual warnings when removing the stock HU?
Do you have option "8RV" on your trunk sticker?
Old 06-19-2018, 06:33 PM
DUTCH8
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CaptainGSR
DUTCH8: I understand the park assist is independent from the MOST network, so did you lose both the audio/visual warnings when removing the stock HU?
Do you have option "8RV" on your trunk sticker?
Park Assist audio and visual warning work as before, i.e. no issues. They do not use MOST network.
I live in Switzerland, not sure about the 8RV option code. Can check if you really want to know.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:32 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

For those interested.
I pulled my PCM 2.1 yesterday. I have a 2008 GTS with the non-bose sound system, but I do have the 10 speaker option "8RV" (2 extra speakers on the dash), and the dvd navigation unit under the pax seat.
I am happy to report that I have the same exact plugs/wires as pictured in DUTCH8's previous posts. No optical amp on my MOST network!

I do have a couple of thoughts/questions:
1- not needing a MOST interface means that i should be able to retain the FADE control on any aftermarket head unit?
2- while i do not have an optical amp, my guess is that there is still a factory amp (booster as Porsche calls it) somewhere in the car?
3- that factory amp receives high level speaker signal from the head unit (only music and phone) as well as from other units like the park assist. It then sends a combined boosted signal to the speakers?
4- if i am wrong: does the park assist have its own speakers? do the headlight and door warning chimes also have separate speakers?
5- either way, one could in theory easily add an aftermarket amp to the output side of the factory amp and not lose the park assist/other chimes?

Cheers,
Old 06-28-2018, 04:38 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 793 Likes on 445 Posts

Have you compared the wiring diagram for the OEM unit with the one from the Seicane? You should be able to do a harness-to-harness converter and plug the Seicane directly into the VW harness. That should leave all the existing functions intact.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:41 AM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Sure, but a speaker upgrade is in the works, and adding an aftermarket amp without running RCAs to the trunk would be awesome. I am trying to keep as much of the stock wiring as i can. It is of decent gauge already.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:44 PM
Zakowsky
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by danishw
I am replacing CDR23 in my Cayenne. Where should I connect the three wires from MOST adapter to? Can I splice open wires from the adapter that is powering the Cabus adapter and the main unit? If so which wires would they be? Or any other suggestion on where to get power from for the MOST adapter?
Did you ever solve this problem? I finally got my Android 8.0 HU and I am wiring the MOST adapter, and there are many posts about this, but everyone with a Cayenne seems to use the basic switched ACC line. This doesn't make sense to me, in that there are lots of times that you want to listen to the radio with the engine off but the key in the ignition, just like with the PCM. The standard ACC on the Cayenne is only live when in the run position. I know other Porsche models have a fuse people have identified that goes live when you just put the key in, but I can't find any for the 2004 CTT, and I have checked most I think with a voltmeter. Most things seem to be CANBus switched, and I couldn't get enough power from the CAN bus lines to fire the MOST box up. Any ideas for a power source that goes on when the key is just inserted and not turned?

I'm planning on a full install write up btw, lots to say...

Edit: Answered my own question - you can in fact power the MOST red ACC line by the red CAN Bus line, I just didn't wait long enough for it to turn on!

Last edited by Zakowsky; 07-19-2018 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:26 AM
corellian vette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm wondering what the reviews are with a 4 channel MOST adapter? My biggest concern with making this mod (and Dynavin too) is the reduction in sound quality. I only drive older cars, so the BOSE setup sounds fine to me. I get it's not up-to-snuff vs. the latest in stereo tech, but it's fine. However, I don't want to install a system that makes it sound WORSE and I hear that a lot from this and the Dynavin. Is this JUST an issue with the MOST adapter changing the bias?
Old 07-19-2018, 11:55 AM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's why I went with the 2-channel. I didn't want to be the guinea pig for the 4-channel both in terms of how well it works, but also ordering process and troubleshooting if there was an issue and my HU vendor wanted to point fingers (I got MOST box and HU from same vendor). I will say that the 2-channel defaults to a fader level of exactly how I would have set it. The front/rear are neither too loud, nor too quiet relative to each other. In fact, from a volume perspective, there are some annoyances in Android, like some apps being much louder or quieter than others that are a MUCH bigger deal than not having a fader.

cheers,
c
Old 07-19-2018, 07:49 PM
Zakowsky
Racer

Originally Posted by corellian vette
I'm wondering what the reviews are with a 4 channel MOST adapter? My biggest concern with making this mod (and Dynavin too) is the reduction in sound quality. I only drive older cars, so the BOSE setup sounds fine to me. I get it's not up-to-snuff vs. the latest in stereo tech, but it's fine. However, I don't want to install a system that makes it sound WORSE and I hear that a lot from this and the Dynavin. Is this JUST an issue with the MOST adapter changing the bias?
I do intend to write a full review (!)...but in the meantime, I also went with the 2-channel MOST adapter for many of the same reasons as vandal. But my longer term plan is to put a new conventional amp in; I was ordering my HU and figured I'd try out the $100 no-name adapter they had; I can always sell it and I would be able to hear the HU as soon as I got it.

To your question, does the new Android+MOST system out of the box sound worse than the PCM+Bose, I would have to say yes, it is not quite as good - yet. So I differ from most that I like more sound from the rear speakers, and the lack of fade is annoying, but I as vandal said the sound out of the Android HU is more of a problem. First of all, the MOST adapter I got only goes a third as loud as my PCM did, which I am really unhappy about and I am trying to fix. Doesn't make sense why, since it is fed into the same amp. The quality of the audio output itself is hard to judge, but it does seem to be dependent on the software you play the file with, and the quality of the file. So I am also one of "those" who thinks 320 mp3's sound like $%#& compared to flac, and I since I obviously never heard an mp3 through the PCM I can't compare, but I think mp3s don't sound so great on the Android HU. But playing flac files on the Android does sound pretty good, and is comparable to the original system, which is fair, because the PCM was playing wav files from CDs. But the flac files play at half the volume of the mp3s on my HU for some reason, so you have to have it at full volume to be at a normal listening level, and at that point you can hear the amp in the HU making some distortion.

I think the real solution is to just put in a JL amp and replace the Bose, which is what I am going to do next, if I get this thing working like I want it to. The sound is clean enough at lower HU levels to sound really good, I think. But no matter what the solution, once you put a proper HU in there and have modern navigation etc., there is no going back to the PCM.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:48 PM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zakowsky
But no matter what the solution, once you put a proper HU in there and have modern navigation etc., there is no going back to the PCM.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ This! It's wonderful, even if not audiophile quality. I've had people get into my 2004 and say "Woah! What an amazing setup! Is this a 2018?"

cheers,
c
Old 07-20-2018, 12:02 PM
Sid3ways
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by Zakowsky
I think the real solution is to just put in a JL amp and replace the Bose, which is what I am going to do next, if I get this thing working like I want it to. The sound is clean enough at lower HU levels to sound really good, I think. But no matter what the solution, once you put a proper HU in there and have modern navigation etc., there is no going back to the PCM.
Are you talking putting a JL amp in and using the factory speakers or replacing everything (including all new speakers)? If it's leaving the stock Bose hardware in and just upgrading the amp, please update us on what model you use and how it goes. It would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-23-2018, 04:10 AM
Zakowsky
Racer

I am definitely keeping the stock speakers; while some replace them, enough people online say they are pretty good with a new amp, so that I will go that route. You can buy an adapter that plugs into the speaker connector so you don't have to cut anything, and then just wire the connector to the amp. So then it is just to run RCA's from the head to the back, which is supposed to be not too hard.

As far as which amp, I think you have to go with a JL, because they have differential-balanced inputs, whatever that means, but it makes them work well with the very low impedance Bose speakers. As for which amp, I am watching for one used on Kijiji, but I will probably go with a 5 channel, as the speaker connection I think already collects the main speakers into 4 channels, plus the sub. So maybe a HD900/5 if you want 0.03% THD (expensive), or the cheaper XD700/5v2 if 1% is OK. The other option I was thinking of is the XD800/8v2, if you want to split up the speakers (so you might have to run more speaker wires) and then tune each speaker independently. Then you can have 3 tuned sets and 2 channels to bridge for the sub. The advantage of all these amps is you can easily filter each channel separately with a dial on the amp, which will compensate for the eq work that the Bose amp used to do. But you can find the XD700/5v2 used for a couple of hundred dollars, so I will probably try that.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:05 AM
kraeburn
Instructor

Has anyone solved the Wifi issue yet? I am just starting to drive my Cayenne regularly again so I'd like to solve this to make full use out of the head unit. I described it earlier in the thread--essentially the unit refuses to connect to the wifi hotspot on my iPhone X on its own. I have to jog wifi on and off, forget the network, re-pair, and even then its about a 50/50 shot as to whether it works. I can get it going but thats only worth it on a longer drive. I'm willing to just get a standalone hotspot in hopes that will work on a consistent basis but theres no way of knowing if I will just run into the same issue again.

If I can't get it to work with a hotspot I will likely abandon this headunit for another one. The seller does have a wifi dongle but its only 3g which is basically useless. I just need to be able to run Waze/Spotify, and I'd like to use it for more if possible but an internet connection is needed. Without that, its kinda limited to a bluetooth receiver for me.

The T-Mobile SyncUp is 2.4ghz which should work, however I'd lose the torque app functionality. I do like that it just turns on and off with the vehicle--if I recall correctly the 12v sockets aren't switched so thats one less thing to mess around with. I don't know if other hotspots will be able to turn on and off when power is applied. The more seamless the experience the better.

On another note, I did hook up the rearview camera. The quality stinks but it works fine. It also came mounted on what looked like a matching license plate light which did not match the Cayenne light. I had to remove the camera and mount it to the standard light which was not ideal and doesn't look great up close.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:46 PM
nuckingfuts
4th Gear

Default question

Originally Posted by DUTCH8
I am planning on making the upgrade on PCM 2.1, with Navigation but NO Bose (with an aftermarket old Dennison iPod dock). I noticed at the back of the PCM, that there are MOST cables.

Do I need the MOST adapter? I was planning on ditching the whole MOST setup if I could.

View of PCM 2.1. With Navi, NO Bose, with aftermarket iPOD connection.
Hi, I just bought a Seicane android 8.0, I was looking at the top right plug in the picture and I was wondering where do those wires connect? The harness they sent me does not match that plug, Just to be clear top right plug with the two brown wires, red and white, red, green and yellow and brown? Also I know they say to connect the ACC (red) wire to the PCM switch black wire but where does the Yellow B+ wire go and what do you connect the black ground wire to (i know ground but where)? Also the harness they sent only has one antenna adapter, I was looking on their web site and they have a dual for 9.95, is it worth getting?

Quick Reply: 9" Android Radio Install Review