Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9" Android Radio Install Review

Old 05-12-2016, 08:29 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont think it has a builtin mic. It came with an external mic and enough wire to run it around the windshield moldings and mounted above the rear-view mirror. FYI- I ran the USB/3G dongle and GPS puck directly above the stereo in the "Vent/center speaker" location in the dash. Mine had only a 4" speaker in there. Lots of free space in mine - Not sure if other Cayennes have more stuff in there.

@Tommy Sorry for all the techno-speak. Yes. If you request the music to download ahead of time, some music apps work when there is no reception.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:44 AM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by morrisdl
I dont think it has a builtin mic. It came with an external mic and enough wire to run it around the windshield moldings and mounted above the rear-view mirror. FYI- I ran the USB/3G dongle and GPS puck directly above the stereo in the "Vent/center speaker" location in the dash. Mine had only a 4" speaker in there. Lots of free space in mine - Not sure if other Cayennes have more stuff in there.

@Tommy Sorry for all the techno-speak. Yes. If you request the music to download ahead of time, some music apps work when there is no reception.
No worries, it was my reading comprehension, not the techno-speak! I've got the privacy glass, so I think I would have to figure out a way to hook it into the current system's antenna. I saw something about that in another thread.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:19 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went ahead and ordered it as well! Hopefully it isn't too hard to install. I haven't done an install in a long time!

I wonder if I can use the cars GPS antenna by connecting to it under the passenger seat.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:29 PM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...l#post12684451

You can use the OEM GPS antenna as referenced in the above thread, but you will need a fakra connector apparently.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:36 PM
Sid3ways
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to jump in today too hgupta! I'm ordering this complete unit and the adapters mentioned earlier in the thread for the antenna.

TommyV: Do you have any idea what fakra connector adapter we need to use?

Lastly, I have a TranzitBlu that came with my CTT and I assume it has a MOST adapter. It has a LOT of static at times, and even regular channels have static at the same time so I'm thinking the MOST adapter may be causing issues. I hope it isn't a problem when installing this, not sure where it is located.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:41 PM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sid3ways
I'm going to jump in today too hgupta! I'm ordering this complete unit and the adapters mentioned earlier in the thread for the antenna.

TommyV: Do you have any idea what fakra connector adapter we need to use?

Lastly, I have a TranzitBlu that came with my CTT and I assume it has a MOST adapter. It has a LOT of static at times, and even regular channels have static at the same time so I'm thinking the MOST adapter may be causing issues. I hope it isn't a problem when installing this, not sure where it is located.
Sorry, no I don't know, but I think it's in the referenced thread somewhere. A while back a read the entire thread and I remembered the need to connect to the oem GPS antenna because I have the privacy glass that won't let a signal through to an internal antenna.

I thought the TranzitBlu was an FM Modulator connected to the PCM through the FM antenna as referenced in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...bluetooth.html
Old 05-12-2016, 01:24 PM
Sid3ways
Advanced

You are correct, I misread that thread's title incorrectly! I'm new to the Porsche brand so I'm still a rookie.

Anyways, I've got the unit into my cart but they have so many options to purchase I want to make sure I'm not missing anything I may want.

1. Wifi DVR - Not sure what the hell that is?
2. 1 din DVD - Is this internal or external? Is it just to play movies or do I need it for something else?
3. 3G module apparently is garbage as the OP stated so I'll pass and just use my iPhone hotspot
4. Rear view cam - I don't have a rear view cam currently and am 100% wanting to add one, would this one be the way to go or should I buy the specific Cayenne one if it isn't too hard to install?
5. OBDII - I'll probably pick this up so I can utilize the Torque app for fun
6. TPMS - Does this integrate with the current TPMS in the car or for $169 are they giving me 4 TPMS units that would talk with some receiver in this head unit?
7. Optical Audio - I assume I need this option as I have the Bose stereo in my Cayenne. Can someone confirm this?

Sorry for all the random questions!
Old 05-12-2016, 01:32 PM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Hopefully the OP will replay, but I think when he talks about the MOST Connection he bought it was the "Support 2003-2011 Year Original car's Optical Fiber Amplifier" for $129, that plus $608 for the 9 Inch Android are pretty close to the $730 total cost he quoted.

I'm going to say the 1 din dvd is a single DIN dvd that is external as they have head units that integrate the DVD, but the 9 Inch does not.

Not sure about the camera, I have a rear view camera already, so I don't know about adding one, search is your friend on this. Although my camera is pretty crappy in terms of the view it gives and the camera option with this head unit seems to be significantly better based on an earlier comment.

Not sure about the rest of the stuff.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:29 PM
morrisdl
Instructor

@sidways

1. Wifi DVR - Not sure what the hell that is? Its a dashcam (front facing camera)
2. 1 din DVD - Is this internal or external? Is it just to play movies or do I need it for something else Yes - external DVD player. The 9" unit has no CD/DVD slot. I didnt need one, but this could be mounted under the passenger seat.
3. 3G module apparently is garbage as the OP stated so I'll pass and just use my iPhone hotspot. Its for T-mobile and I dont have good coverage where I live.
4. Rear view cam - I don't have a rear view cam currently and am 100% wanting to add one, would this one be the way to go or should I buy the specific Cayenne one if it isn't too hard to install? I connected to the Porsche "cuckoo clock" rear cam. This was not easy, but Ill try to wrtie something up when I have more time.
5. OBDII - I'll probably pick this up so I can utilize the Torque app for fun. It and some of the other options are cheaper on amazon: http://goo.gl/kBHaKG I already owned a "better" OBDII connector, but this headunit didnt like it so I bought this one off amazon.
6. TPMS - Does this integrate with the current TPMS in the car or for $169 are they giving me 4 TPMS units that would talk with some receiver in this head unit? Its a TPMS reciever to monitor tires. Porshe dash already does this.
7. Optical Audio - I assume I need this option as I have the Bose stereo in my Cayenne. Can someone confirm this? Yes. This is the MOST interface. Its the only item that needs to be manually wired to 12v power/ground. The radio will have an wiring loom connection.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:57 PM
Sid3ways
Advanced

Thanks for the updates Morris.

I don't have T-Mobile myself so I can't comment on the coverage but I know people who have it and don't have any issues. Maybe I should grab it to try it out. If I have to constantly turn my iPhone6S+ hotspot on and off everytime I hop in the car that is going to get very annoying.

It appears the rear view cam they have is designed to replace one of the license plate light plates so that should be pretty straight forward, it will probably suck trying to run the cable though.

Once again I appreciate all of the help here guys, it's time to put the order in.

I have a fully automated home using a Wink hub which has android compatibility. Right from my car I'll be able to monitor house alarms, cameras, lights, garage door automatically open when I arrive home, and so much more. That alone is a great benefit since it can install full Android apps (assuming they work on Android 4.4)!
Old 05-14-2016, 09:55 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

I ended up getting a verizon MiFi and wiring it to the car power. Also hiding that in the center dash speaker cavity with my gps antenna. The MiFi powers on automatically with the car. Takes about 10sec for the headunit to flip from house wifi to the mifi.

FYI - I have the Porsche insulated glass option and no problems with GPS or ez-pass (but its possible the previous owner replaced windshield).
Old 05-16-2016, 10:44 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

I have a different Seicane Android head unit in mine (the one with the Cayenne-style buttons and smaller screen). I like it, and they've done a pretty good job with the UI.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:10 PM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Do any of these Seicane unit include a Sirius XM tuner ?
Old 05-17-2016, 08:12 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

@Tommy I dont think so, but they all can do the XM app which sounds much better

Minor annoyance: Some apps like slacker Radio, iHeartRadio, and youtube do NOT send info the Porsche dash info screen. More importantly the steering wheel controls for "next song" DO work in all of them.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:36 PM
Vidyashankara
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pontifex4
I have a different Seicane Android head unit in mine (the one with the Cayenne-style buttons and smaller screen). I like it, and they've done a pretty good job with the UI.
Can you put up some pics? How is the touch screen, is it resistive or capacitative touch? You have offline maps on this rt, which you can plug into the headset? do you have a review of this set?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 9" Android Radio Install Review