Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iSimple Tranzit BLU HF: A decent alternative to MOST interface for Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 10:07 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default iSimple Tranzit BLU HF: An inexpensive Bluetooth interface with great sound

This post describes installing the iSimple Tranzit BLU HF Bluetooth Interface in an 06 Cayenne Turbo with PCM 2.1.

Functionality:
This is a concealed Bluetooth interface that's physically connected to the PCM through the FM antenna cable. The Bluetooth audio via the Tranzit is crystal clear; almost as good as the sound from a CD. It’s passive until a cell call is received; then it interrupts the streamed music. It engages automatically when the ignition is turned on (and the PCM is on and tuned to the paired freq). It does not turn on the PCM or change PCM modes automatically for a call. It will work with the phone's voice commands; eg "Siri". The best part is that the streamed audio quality is excellent; almost as good as from a CD.

The modulator frequency is preset to 98.1 but can be reset to any with a phone app from iSimple. It will skip to the next BT tune with a push of the button. Song title is displayed on the PCM. The downside is that reception of over-the-air FM is degraded because the antenna signal passes though the Tranzit module. The unit should be disengaged via a 6-second push of it's button to listen to FM; if a call is received it reengages with another 6 second push of the button. I live 20 miles from the closest FM station; reception may allow listening to FM with it on you're close to the station but for me all stations are weak and noisy with the Tranzit on. It is an add-on and will not make the PCM 2.1 work like one with intergrated BT.

I love this thing. I finally have a hands-free phone and BT tunes without spending $600+ for a Dension or MoBridge fiber optic interface, and the streamed music sound's great.

Stuff needed for my installation:
1. iSimple Tranzit BLU HF ISFM2351 Kit
2. Metra euro antenna adapter set w/male and female adapters
3. Add-A-Circuit tap kit for ATO style fuse
4. About 3 ft of 14 ga. stranded copper wire
5. Crimp fittings and elec. tape for wire connections
6. Tools: Plastic trim tool, T-20 torx screwdriver, crimping tool, multimeter (optional).

Prep:
Cover the console and shifter for protection. Remove the PCM and drop the black cover over the driver’s foot well. There are several Youtube videos showing removal of the Cayenne PCM; pretty easy but be careful with trim around the PCM and the euro antenna plug release. Disconnect the bottom ISO harness plug so the PCM will not have power during the installation. Remove the screw in the center front of the foot well and the cover unclips with some persuasion and drops enough for access to the pull the wires. No need to remove the diagnostics plug or light.

Installation:
I installed the microphone first. I had hoped to fit it inside the overhead phone mic grill but that was already occupied by the two factory mics. I couldn’t find a good mic spot in the center at all. I didn’t like the clunky mic clip and just slipped the mic wire behind the Left A-pillar trim at the top and pulled the mic up snug. The mic sticks out a bit, but it looks better there than on the big visor clip with an exposed wire. The mic wire easily tucked into the weather-stripping on the outboard side of the A-pillar, then led through the LH fuse panel and under the dash to the Tranzit module behind the head unit. My wife says the mic sounds fine in calls.

The area behind the PCM unit is tight but there’s a small area at the center rear into which the Tranzit module and its bundled wire just fit. All excess wire attached to the module must be tightly coiled and tied at the module and carefully stowed, or the PCM head won't go back in. The module could alternately be mounted above the foot well with a bit more wiring work. You'd need antenna cable extensions there too.

After I had verified the location for the module, I could run the new power lead. The module should have power when the ignition is on. Since there’s no switched power in the PCM harness or recess, it was necessary to run a lead to a fuse panel. After much hunting for a true switched circuit in the LH dash fuse panel, I put the Add-A-Circuit tap in Fuse 51 (TPMS and diagnostics) using the 3A fuse included with the tap (the module power lead has its own 2A inline fuse as well) and moved the 5A fuse for the assigned eqpt to the tap’s lower fuse slot.

Running the wires for power and the mic behind the dash were the hardest part of the installation because there’s no easy access into the PCM recess from behind or beneath. The recess is quite snug with only a few small openings leading behind the dash. Though iSimple was quite generous with the mic and button wire, they skimped on the power wire so you need to add a few feet to reach the fuse panel. I used 14 ga. wire for the power because it’s stiff and easier to thread through its path; 18 or even 20 ga. would be fine for the load. I fished the new wire starting from the PCM end through the hole on the LH side of the recess with a light shined from under the dash to make a target for threading the wire. After I pulled the new wire through to the foot well, I used it to pull the mic wire back into the PCM recess, then rethreaded it through once again, across and from behind into the fuse panel to the fuse tap. For the ground side of the power circuit, I spliced into the ground lead (brown) on the PCM harness in the recess.

The Tranzit module has bayonet-style in & out cables for the antenna so both male and female adapters are needed for the Cayenne’s euro antenna connectors. The euro plug has a side release that must be pressed to get them off the PCM. The PCM has two radio antenna connections. I couldn’t find any description of either so I used the one nearest the PCM side (Blue connector in Pic 5) and its working fine. I also taped the antenna bayonet connectors together for insurance as they weren’t very snug.

I mounted the small adhesive-backed module control button to the left of the PCM where its available without looking; it just peeks out beneath the phone when the phone’s on its magnetic holder. I ran the wire out the front of the opening and under the silver PCM trim frame. You may wish to find another spot; there’s ample wire length provided with the button.

After wiring and connections were done, I reconnected the ISO harness to the PCM and tested that the LEDs for BT discovery were blinking properly and the Tranzit operation was OK. All was good. I carefully coiled the wiring and slid the PCM back in and secured it. Done.

DIY or Pro Installer?
The installation was somewhat more hassle than anticipated because of the vault-like Cayenne dash area. If I had access to a local Cayenne-familiar installer, I would have paid to have installed; and a good installer could probably figure out how to connect the factory phone mic too.

1. Mic on A-pillar

2. Feeding mic wire behind pillar weather strip

3. Looking into the PCM recess; red wire is the new power lead led thru left side of recess. Lighter colored area at rear is where the module fits.

4. Fuse panel w/Add-A-Circuit tap installed in bottom row

5. Splicing into the brown ground wire

6. All wired and connected; ready to button up. The Tranzit module is visible before being stuffed into the rear of the recess. Magnetic phone holder at upper left.

7. All done and playing. Control button is below phone.

Last edited by DWPC; 02-04-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:03 PM
James Yoo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks great!

Every since you mentioned the iSimple in another post, I have been looking at it as well. Was trying to figure out what all I needed to order. Thanks for the list! I'll probably go ahead with this route as well. Didn't fell like spending $700+ on other solutions, and all I'm after is the BT streaming and phone.

Where did you get items 2 and 3 on your list? Also, what phone holder are you using? I have a magnetic one, but the cradle uses the CD slot, which is ok, but hides the display. I would much rather have it out to the side like yours.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:19 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by James Yoo
That looks great!

Every since you mentioned the iSimple in another post, I have been looking at it as well. Was trying to figure out what all I needed to order. Thanks for the list! I'll probably go ahead with this route as well. Didn't fell like spending $700+ on other solutions, and all I'm after is the BT streaming and phone.

Where did you get items 2 and 3 on your list? Also, what phone holder are you using? I have a magnetic one, but the cradle uses the CD slot, which is ok, but hides the display. I would much rather have it out to the side like yours.
#2 is Metra 40EU30 male and female pair from Amazon but can be found at car audio shops
#3 is Littelfuse Add-A-Circuit available at most any auto parts store. You need the ATO size.
The phone holder is a Cellet brand magnetic holder; very secure and inobtrusive I've had it for many years and three cars. I checked Amazon and it's still listed. I finally posted a very belated review; lol.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:24 PM
jpru2001
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by DWC in Sedona
#2 is Metra 40EU30 male and female pair from Amazon but can be found at car audio shops
#3 is Littelfuse Add-A-Circuit available at most any auto parts store. You need the ATO size.
The phone holder is a Cellet brand magnetic holder; very secure and inobtrusive I've had it for many years and three cars. I checked Amazon and it's still listed. I finally posted a very belated review; lol.
lol I just bought that holder, I like it. even without the tranzit, a cayenne needs a couple extra places for storage anyway!

gonna get the isimple tranzit in some time soon.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:43 PM
Paqueras
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just ordered everything from AMAZON. Thank you for this information!
Old 07-21-2015, 05:21 PM
jpru2001
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

A couple questions if you please:

I thought you hardwired it to radio power, and didn't need a new fuse...did you do this just so you could set it up so it switched off when the car was off? what would happen if you just wired it to radio, it would be on all the time like the radio I guess?

also, in reading the owners manual, holding the button down 6 seconds turns the "takeover" of the FM station on and off for streaming music...do you have to do that every time you get in the car?

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2015, 05:36 PM
James Yoo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the microphone first. I had hoped to fit it inside the overhead phone mic grill but that was already occupied by the two factory mics. I couldn’t find a good mic spot in the center at all.
Did you already have phone capabilities with your PCM before, or are the mics always there regardless? I would probably like to use that space in the overhead for the mic. I haven't tried pulling it down to see what's up there yet, but just wondering how your PCM was setup before you added the iSimple module.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:54 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jpru2001
A couple questions if you please:

I thought you hardwired it to radio power, and didn't need a new fuse...did you do this just so you could set it up so it switched off when the car was off? what would happen if you just wired it to radio, it would be on all the time like the radio I guess?

also, in reading the owners manual, holding the button down 6 seconds turns the "takeover" of the FM station on and off for streaming music...do you have to do that every time you get in the car?

Thanks!
1. There's no switched power at the PCM location; the PCM can be turned on anytime; key or not. There's a "wake up" circuit that turns on the CD changer when the ignition is switched on, but I decided not to cut into that circuit due to the very fine wire.
2. The Tranzit is turned on with the ignition when you get in the car (provided its wire to a switched circuit). The "disengage" command is for listening to other FM stations; I believe it only cuts off the FM signal and the BT stays on and will interrupt whenever there's a call (and the FM radio's on).

Originally Posted by James Yoo
Did you already have phone capabilities with your PCM before, or are the mics always there regardless? I would probably like to use that space in the overhead for the mic. I haven't tried pulling it down to see what's up there yet, but just wondering how your PCM was setup before you added the iSimple module.
I don't have the factory phone option; I assume all Cayennes have the mics installed. The mic supplied with the BT module is somewhat larger than other car mics I've seen but you could always substitute a smaller one that's easier to locate if you wished. A hard core techie could probably figure out how to use the factory phone mic.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:58 PM
alx5
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default favor

Hi DWC in Sedona

Would you please take a picture of the fuse box so I can tell which slot you connect the Add-A-Circuit tap kit.
I am ordering everything I need now. the thing worries me the most is electrical stuff. I can see how you tap into the power wire. I just need to see more clearly at the fuse box then will feel more confident to attack the issue.
Thanks for the write up. It is excellent.

Anthony
Old 09-24-2015, 06:49 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Here you go. The "Add-a-Circuit" tap is inserted in Slot 51 in the bottom row of the LH panel. The bright blue thing is just the crimp connector on the fuse tap where it connects to the lead from the Tranzit module. Good luck.

Old 09-26-2015, 05:28 PM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alx5
Hi DWC in Sedona

Would you please take a picture of the fuse box so I can tell which slot you connect the Add-A-Circuit tap kit.
I am ordering everything I need now. the thing worries me the most is electrical stuff. I can see how you tap into the power wire. I just need to see more clearly at the fuse box then will feel more confident to attack the issue.
Thanks for the write up. It is excellent.

Anthony
I just installed one last weekend following this write-up (excellent job!). Here is a photo I took of my fuse area which might be a little clearer:
Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2015, 05:40 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by deekay911
I just installed one last weekend following this write-up (excellent job!). Here is a photo I took of my fuse area which might be a little clearer:
Good pic. I have no luck getting a sharp pic with the iphone.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:15 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

Good pic. I have no luck getting a sharp pic with the iphone.
You must have a steady hand and sharp eye. When you can ****** this pebble from my hand you can leave, Grasshopper.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:45 AM
alx5
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you gentlemen. Can't wait to get my orders and install it.

Anthony
Old 09-27-2015, 07:10 PM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

DWC's writeup is excellent, and made the job very easy. I didn't need an iPhone holder so positioned my 'button' a little higher.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: iSimple Tranzit BLU HF: A decent alternative to MOST interface for Bluetooth