Sponsored by:

Ticking 957 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 09:18 PM
dubl07
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ticking 957 turbo

I noticed a new noise in the drive thru last week. When i brought it to the dealer for an oil change i mentioned it, but my service advisor didnt seemed concerned with it. It seems too loud and noticeable to be 'normal' engine noise, but im no expert.

Anyone have a similar noise or problem. Is this just how they sound or should i bring it back in to the dealer?

Thanks

Last edited by dubl07; 03-08-2016 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Youtube link
Old 03-08-2016, 10:38 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

Can't say I hear anything unusual. The direct injectors ARE noisy. Sometimes more then other times.. that's what I heard listening to your video - injector noise. Is there something else I'm missing?

Seems the panic mode over noises is starting.. one or two people think they hear something, post about it, first thing you know everyone is posting about it. It is awfully common in Interwebz forums. For a long time on the BMW M3 (E46) forums "Rasp" was the biggie. Everyone heard it. Companies were started with special magic exhaust to eliminate "rasp".. then it just sort of faded away. Never see a post about it now.

Not that it's impossible that it's something, but don't do what I do - read about something - then go figure that my car/body/home/motorcycle/whatever must have that problem.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:44 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lol. Never, ever go on webmd if you feel weird about your body. Basically if you do you'll learn that cronic illness and death are imminent and it's time to plan your funeral.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:47 AM
Dokebi1221
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by endless_corners
Lol. Never, ever go on webmd if you feel weird about your body. Basically if you do you'll learn that cronic illness and death are imminent and it's time to plan your funeral.
LOL, almost spit out my yogurt reading your post.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:59 PM
BlackTurboS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dubl07
I noticed a new noise in the drive thru last week. When i brought it to the dealer for an oil change i mentioned it, but my service advisor didnt seemed concerned with it. It seems too loud and noticeable to be 'normal' engine noise, but im no expert.

Anyone have a similar noise or problem. Is this just how they sound or should i bring it back in to the dealer?

Thanks
I have the exact same sounds coming from my 09 CTTS and its as healthy as an ox before winter (they fatten up before the cold months).

To get rid of it, I pour a half can of Seafoam in the crankcase and drive about 100 miles; then do an oil change. That gets rid of the tapping/clicking noise you hear. I believe it is the lifters but not sure. Whatever it is, the seafoam in the crankcase cleans things out and the tapping/ticking went away. It happens after 3-5k miles of driving and then goes away with the seafoam/oil change trick.

I also put 2 cans of seafoam in with a full fill up of gas once a month or so to clean the injectors. You'll notice a difference I promise.

If you leave it alone as-is; it will be fine. There is nothing wrong with your Cayenne.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:03 AM
TurboS957
Intermediate

Same ticking also on mine, like others mentioned sometimes more, sometimes less. I'm also hoping this is normal....
Old 03-22-2016, 09:49 AM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 108 Posts

I hear the normal injector sounds and then I hear a KNOCK going at the same rate as a piston stroke while the camera pans over the driver's side of the engine.

That sound is not good....
Old 03-22-2016, 01:28 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dubl07

Thanks
This sounds exactly like my 957 Turbo sounded when the cylinder wall was scored. If it is under warranty, I would absolutely make them investigate further. I'm in the middle of a full rebuild right now for this very issue.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:45 PM
1BadAction
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
one or two people think they hear something, post about it, first thing you know everyone is posting about it.
Like GM Gen3 piston slap. A handful of people had it real bad, then everyone and their brother that had lifters ticking because they used the wrong oil and filter thought they had piston slap. It soon went away and you almost never hear of it now.

The term I use for this is "Internet forum induced automotive hypochondria"

Old 03-22-2016, 02:01 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1BadAction
Like GM Gen3 piston slap. A handful of people had it real bad, then everyone and their brother that had lifters ticking because they used the wrong oil and filter thought they had piston slap. It soon went away and you almost never hear of it now.

The term I use for this is "Internet forum induced automotive hypochondria"

While I agree this is true, it is pretty clear to me there is a piston / cylinder issue going on here. You can clearly hear the injectors, but the lower frequency, slower ticking (1 time per rev) is what worries me.

Especially since we are nearing the end of winter, and the OP lives in a colder climate.

Have you run the car with the oil cap off to listen / feel for blow-by? It's probably not bad enough yet, but it's very hard to tell from the video.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:05 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's what I found after investigating "injector" noise...

Old 03-22-2016, 04:53 PM
Torre
Racer

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
Here's what I found after investigating "injector" noise...
Was the ticking the ONLY symptom you had? No excessive oil consumption, no rough idle etc.?
Old 03-22-2016, 05:10 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oil consumption was about 1 qt every 5k miles. I had ticking exactly like the video for about a month, then one morning it became louder in a matter of minutes.

Obviously at that point it developed a miss and excessive blow by. Given all the cylinder failures that are appearing in the 957s I would want to get to the bottom of it before it's too late. I caught mine at the very edge of being salvageable. Even in the terrible condition mine was, the noise wasn't much more pronounced.

I sincerely hope it's not the awful cylinder scoring issue, but if it is, the sooner it's caught, the better.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:24 PM
Torre
Racer

Interesting. While I did research on what Cayenne to buy I run in to the cylinder scoring issue online only with the 955 CS, Turbos and V6's use a different cylinder coating (nikasil instead of lokasil) and are supposedly not affected - and basically 2007 onwards with the 957 the issue is gone.

However after registering on these forums I have now seen 2 or 3 cases of cylinder scoring on the 957, and all Turbos.

I live in a cold climate, my car has been started daily in deep negative degrees for 80k miles now. My car does tick a bit when the engine is cold, but it's not constant, the rythm varies. No noticeable ticking when warm. My car runs very smooth on idle and does not consume any oil between services unless you have been flooring it a lot.

I'm interested in the cause. Why does it happend, how can it be prevented, why does it not happend to everyone? If cold climate was the culprit, this problem would be all over the internet - but it isn't. The only place I have came accross the cylinder scoring and popping cooling hose on the 957 is this very forum.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:06 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A scored cylinder is a result. Just like bald tires are a result. Did you get a bald tire from putting 50K miles on it, or because your alignment was off? It's the same with scored cylinders. You can't just group them all together since the mechanism that leads to scoring is vastly different.

The CS motor on the 955 was built with tolerances too tight. Combine that with a cast piston that expands faster than a forged unit (on the turbos), tighter tolerances, and the lack of an oil squirter on the skirt, and the result is a scored cylinder caused by a large thermal expansion difference. Cold and mileage increase the chances with the CS.

Every motor Porsche has ever made has a very small percentage that suffers from scored cylinders. These are mostly from defects, not a design flaw. That's a really important distinction that often fails to register with people. Most of the 957 Turbos I've seen with scored cylinder (and I only need one hand to to count them), were lower mileage units and under warranty. One was a few k miles out of warranty, but Porsche stepped up to the plate anyway.

Visit any forum on rennlist, and you'll find a very small incidence of scored cylinders. Of all the 4.8TT motors running around out there (957 motor is the same unit in the panamera and 958), and I can think of less than 5 reports of scored cylinders in the Cayenne.

M1 0W40 is a really really thin 40 weight oil. A friend of mine had a loud CTT, and he switched to a thicker oil, and it runs nice and quiet now. Consider almost anything other than M1 (on the approval list or not), and my guess is you'll get a quieter motor.

Quick Reply: Ticking 957 turbo