Ticking 957 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 05:09 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dubl07
Thanks for the feedback. I have a few questions.
What specifically would the repair options be?
How much does a new short block from porsche cost?
I've read the thread on 'cayenne engine replacement' and I've seen the replacement range from 10,500 to 27,000. Why is there such a wide margin.

As far as rebuilding with flat6 or 928 motorsports, approx how much does that cost all in?

What route are you taking?

Thanks for all the info in this thread, its been very informative.
Glad you enjoyed the thread, it certainly was entertaining

I am rebuilding my engine in house. Fortunately I have the resources to do so. LN engineering is repairing the block, I will be doing all other work. My total cost, not including labor, will likely be in the 15k range.

Porsche quoted me about 16k for the re manufactured short block. This option was pretty much out of the question at that price, since I truly believe the same issue could manifest itself again in the future with the Porsche parts.

This almost hurts to type, but I would expect to budget 20k-30k to have it repaired at a reputable shop or dealer. When I spoke with the guys at Flat-6 they were booked out over a year.

Feel free to shoot me a PM with a number if you want to chat. I'd be happy to help any way I can. If you have a very strong relationship with the dealer, they may be willing to work with you, but it will still be painful.

Maybe you will get lucky when they investigate further. Additionally, the majority of the scoring on mine was below the top ring, so the worst of it is not even visible on the bore scope. If there is any evidence when they scope it, it will look worse when it's torn down.

Best of luck
Old 04-07-2016, 05:57 PM
1BadAction
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to stick my pecker in a beehive here... but why can't one rebuild their own engine? Even at the cost of 100% custom oversize slugs, you're not talking a ton of money for a refresh, especially if you R&R the heads as complete assemblies. Sure its not an easy weekend job, but all this talk or repair prices makes it sound like the thing was originally assembled by space aliens.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:01 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1BadAction
Not to stick my pecker in a beehive here... but why can't one rebuild their own engine? Even at the cost of 100% custom oversize slugs, you're not talking a ton of money for a refresh, especially if you R&R the heads as complete assemblies. Sure its not an easy weekend job, but all this talk or repair prices makes it sound like the thing was originally assembled by space aliens.
You certainly can. I'm doing everything but the machine work myself. The Nikasil coating and custom pistons are approximately $4600.00. My parts list for consumables, and "while you're in there's" is right at $9800.00. I'm sure there will be a few more $$$ when I get it finished.

Granted, I'm doing a full and proper rebuild, including a full refresh of the heads, turbos, and planning an oil pump replacement (almost 1500.00 alone).

...you're right, they're just engines
Old 04-07-2016, 06:07 PM
1BadAction
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
The Nikasil coating
I was about to ask just that question... Ugh. Certainly out of the ordinary for the regular jobber but I can't seem to get away from the damn things! Although all the other Nik motors I've screwed together were V6s with huge holes in the cylinder walls. lol.

and 8ish is the number that was rolling around in my head for a full build, not far off of where you are.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:10 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was about to ask just that question... Ugh. Certainly out of the ordinary for the regular jobber but I can't seem to get away from the damn things! Although all the other Nik motors I've screwed together were V6s with huge holes in the cylinder walls. lol.

and 8ish is the number that was rolling around in my head for a full build, not far off of where you are.
Also, these engines are NOT Nikasil from the factory. The LN process will make them Nikasil. Either way, the machine work isn't cheap, and very few can do it.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:12 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Although all the other Nik motors I've screwed together were V6s with huge holes in the cylinder walls. lol.
2 Stroke clip ons?
Old 04-08-2016, 02:01 AM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

How about getting a totaled 957tt and swapping an engine? Or just buying an engine that you scope first?
If you do it at a dealer, they will charge for the time the techs are picking their noses, taking leaks and dumps... They make it sound just like was mentioned before - some sort alien craft. Forget about it, the engine can easily be pulled in about 8hrs by one guy and te actual pulling requires another tech's assistance. My indy could probably do it blindfolded while drunk in 5hrs by now ))
I'd just source an engine from some salvage yard and swap it. Easiest, least time consuming and cheapest. And you can still easily part out your current engine and earn some serious money back if you have the time & space to keep parts.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:44 AM
1BadAction
Rennlist Member

2 Stroke clip ons?
Yep. I can't afford new ****, I gotta buy the stuff that everyones scared of and make it run (and last). Hopefully it doesn't come to that with the Porsche but its nice to see the options out there.

Originally Posted by lupo.sk
How about getting a totaled 957tt and swapping an engine? Or just buying an engine that you scope first?
If you do it at a dealer, they will charge for the time the techs are picking their noses, taking leaks and dumps... They make it sound just like was mentioned before - some sort alien craft. Forget about it, the engine can easily be pulled in about 8hrs by one guy and te actual pulling requires another tech's assistance. My indy could probably do it blindfolded while drunk in 5hrs by now ))
I'd just source an engine from some salvage yard and swap it. Easiest, least time consuming and cheapest. And you can still easily part out your current engine and earn some serious money back if you have the time & space to keep parts.
I knew I liked this guy
Old 04-08-2016, 12:08 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

This was my original plan, but the prices for used 4.8 turbos (if you can even find them) are just as stupid as the other options. The drop and replace really isn't that hard if you have the facility. I couldn't justify spending 75% of new on used stuff.

Yep. I can't afford new ****, I gotta buy the stuff that everyones scared of and make it run (and last). Hopefully it doesn't come to that with the Porsche but its nice to see the options out there.

I knew I liked this guy
I've never messed much with OB, but I do have a major speed addiction on the water as well. Would love to find an old school 24 skater with some 2.5's to tinker with. My other floating mechanical azz holes keep me too busy for that though
Old 04-08-2016, 04:53 PM
user 83838290
Banned

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=919824&page=1

You gotta be able to source an engine, don't tell me it's not possible. Try panameras as well, same engine as the one in 957.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:04 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

They exist, but it would be best to find a totaled car like the one above to part out. This one is pretty typical of what I found when I was debating new vs used...
http://m.ebay.com/itm/2010-Porsche-P...619?nav=SEARCH

Since I can perform all the labor, I didn't see a cost savings going used.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:17 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Those prices are craaazy. This looks a little better IMO:

https://erepairables.com/salvage-car...orsche/cayenne
Old 04-08-2016, 08:28 PM
1BadAction
Rennlist Member

My other floating mechanical azz holes keep me too busy for that though
Both mine are black... so that should tell you how much of a masochist I am on all boating fronts.

At least I don't need to screw with saltwater crap anymore. **** salt water.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:06 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

If you do it at a dealer, they will charge for the time the techs are picking their noses, taking leaks and dumps... They make it sound just like was mentioned before - some sort alien craft.

Apparently this is a world wide situation. lol
Old 04-16-2016, 01:51 AM
dubl07
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dubl07
I noticed a new noise in the drive thru last week. When i brought it to the dealer for an oil change i mentioned it, but my service advisor didnt seemed concerned with it. It seems too loud and noticeable to be 'normal' engine noise, but im no expert.

Anyone have a similar noise or problem. Is this just how they sound or should i bring it back in to the dealer?

Thanks

Well. Got the call from the dealer... Badly scored cyllinders.. All of them. I change the oil at the dealer every 5k and add it in between when needed.
Only thing i can think of that would cause this was driving once in -6' weather on vday.

Now my question for those who have rebuilt blocks.
I am probably goin to get the rebuild from 928 motorsports/us chrome with nicom/nikasil coating and new pistons.

How much time should i expect the indy to bill for tearing down the engine, crating it to us chrome, then reinstalling it.
Also what else should i replace or fix while im there with the engine out.

Thanks,
And beware of ticking motors

Quick Reply: Ticking 957 turbo