Sponsored by:

Temperature needle fluctuates?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 11:52 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by thesteve
Where is the fan control module located?
Does it need to be coded?
Is there a fuse or relay I can check first?
Thanks.
It's located on the fan assembly. The whole mcgilla is sold as an expensive single item, both fans, the control module and housing. Some people have reported replacing the fans with ones used on a Ford IIRC.. but it's a long time ago that I read about that.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:51 AM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Thanks I saw a picture of the fans and thought it might be that metal box thing on there. I guess this is good news and bad news.
Hmmm... if nobody else has tried, I’m going to see if repair of the module is possible.
Thanks!
Old 04-11-2019, 12:01 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

They aren't that expensive. Each fan and it's respective control module is available separately.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:05 PM
stefan063
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Today, my 03 turbo coolant temperature steadily read 185 F (85 C) normally while moving and happy.
I monitored the temp with the OBD feature of my iCarSoft.
At long enough red lights, the gauge would slowly and slightly gradually creep over to the right in direct proportion to the increase in temperature displayed on my OBD reader. There was no dead spot.
It would typically get up to around 190 before the traffic light would turn green.

When I got home, I let it idle to observe how hot it would get.
I let it get up to 199 F and then checked to confirm the fans were off. (I could only see the RHS fan, but it was quiet and I'm sure the left fan was off too).
After switching off ECONOMY with the unit set to low for the AC to come on, the RHS fan turned on and the coolant temp immediately began to drop. Back to 185 in less than a minute.

After looking at the Pelican write-up, I'm sure I never disconnected the plug to the left side fan.

Where is the fan control module located?
Does it need to be coded?
Is there a fuse or relay I can check first?
Thanks.
I had the same "issue" with all 4 Cayenne's I had in past incl. this one I own now. That is not an issue That is normal.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:51 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Thanks J, I'll do a search.

Stefan, I'd like to be encouraged... but after the agony I went through making my coolant system well again, I'm like an overprotective mother and cringe at the thought of over-pressurizing the system due to high temperature.
I still need to get to work and have the ability to run my AC and/or heat with the windows open if things go south, so I have some more time to test things out while keeping an eye on the temperature.
At what temp is it obvious there's a problem, though? I don't see why Porsche would set the threshold for the fan activating at anything above the middle of the gauge.
Plus the temps are only in the mid 50's right now. I'm sure my gauge never moved from the middle last summer with temps in the 90's. (Although I would have had the AC on then which turns on the RHS fan).
Anyway, I'll definitely post anything new I discover.
Thanks.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:11 AM
stefan063
Racer

Thanks J, I'll do a search.

Stefan, I'd like to be encouraged... but after the agony I went through making my coolant system well again, I'm like an overprotective mother and cringe at the thought of over-pressurizing the system due to high temperature.
I still need to get to work and have the ability to run my AC and/or heat with the windows open if things go south, so I have some more time to test things out while keeping an eye on the temperature.
At what temp is it obvious there's a problem, though? I don't see why Porsche would set the threshold for the fan activating at anything above the middle of the gauge.
Plus the temps are only in the mid 50's right now. I'm sure my gauge never moved from the middle last summer with temps in the 90's. (Although I would have had the AC on then which turns on the RHS fan).
Anyway, I'll definitely post anything new I discover.
Thanks.
I am telling you specifically the situation with me and my cars temp gauge. I had the same "issue" with my all Cayennes. After visiting Porsche dealer I asked them about that "problem". Thy simply said, "That is completely normal". I asked how is it normal for the temp to go high and fan not kicking in, on which they replied "Fan is working, but not spinning fast enough for you to hear. If it passes 108 degrees Celsius you would certainly hear it, or you will also hear it when you turn on your A/C...", which I can hear of course. I was on a mountain month ago, outside temp was around -10 degrees Celsius and my needle for temp was just like yours on this pic. It was steep incline and there was a lot of stop and go traffic. And it was very cold so, I haven't freaked out because I know it is normal. Also the same situation in +30 to +40 degrees Celsius. Stop and go traffic, needle is positioned like yours. Never mind the temp outside it never surpasses 100 degrees Celsius in engine temp and never 90 degrees Celsius in Oil temp. And that's all because Porsche service told me that is normal.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:33 AM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the details. I’m reassured to at least carefully go on with my observations and verify I never exceed those maximum values you mentioned.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:33 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Default Confirmed

I still swear my Cayenne never behaved like this last year, but...
So I drove home and parked in my driveway and let the car idle for about a minute or so with the climate control off. 68 degrees outside.
The temp steadily climbed and within a couple of minutes went from 185 to 204 F. with the needle at a menacing incline that would ordinarily have me freaking out.
That’s as warm as it got before pretty steadily going back towards the center.
I let this cycle of ramp-up and cool down continue with the hood open and observed that even the RHS fan turned on (with the AC off).
I couldn’t see, but it also sounded like the LHS fan came on too.
So there you have it. Odd but apparently ok.

The following users liked this post:
f266 (02-14-2021)
Old 04-13-2019, 05:49 AM
stefan063
Racer

Totally fine. 204 is 95 degrees Celsius Working temp is 90 Celsius. Enjoy your Porsche, leave diagnostic tool a bit
Old 04-13-2019, 10:21 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,620 Likes on 4,208 Posts

It's also possible that the behavior of the 955 is different than that of the 957. In the 911 series of similar vintages, the 996 (99-04) had a true coolant temperature gauge, but the 997.1 (05-08) has a heavily buffered gauge - if the 997.1 gauge ever goes past center, you're in trouble. Center is 175 degrees and true coolant temp could actually be in the low 200s.

In my 957 TTS, I can tell you that the gauge is also heavily buffered as I have p3cars vent gauge where I can monitor actual coolant temperature from the obd2 port. In a fully warmed up situation and normal driving, the actual temperature is between 180-185 F and the needle on the dash gauge is between straight up and just a tick past straight up.

When the car gets hot - climbing a mountain with a lot of boost, sitting in traffic, etc, the true temperature will get as high a 214 F before it starts cooling down with the fans engaging, but during this time, the needle on the dash gauge still only shows that tick past vertical, even though it should be well beyond that at 210-215 degrees F.

Here's the p3 vent gauge (left side) showing 188 and the temp needle at the standard position.

Last edited by Petza914; 04-13-2019 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:27 AM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Default “passes everything but the gas station”

Cool. No pun intended. Had no issues yesterday with temps near 80.
Even heard the fans on after turning the engine off.
Took this pic.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:45 AM
stefan063
Racer

Here are temps from my car... This is from few mins ago.

Old 04-26-2020, 03:15 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Default First time I helped myself with a post from the past.

So with the quarantine here in NJ one of my ways of keeping sane is, on sunny days once in a while, I go for a little drive in my beautiful Cayenne.
Sometimes just to go to the McDonald's drive-thru to get a diet Coke.
So I'm waiting in the drive-thru and notice my temp needle creeping up pretty bad.
I shut off the engine etc. make it home and look at it for the next few days.
I once smelled a whiff of coolant after one of these events. So I figured my water pump was going bad and bought the parts and was going to do the job but its been rainy lately.
Anyway, I just figured I'd look back at my old post from last year and do another test.
Sure enough, the temp numbers I observed from last year were exactly the same.
So long story short, I have the pump and still plan on replacing it along with the serpentine belt, but it's just such a relief to know I still have my pig to rely on during this pandemic and can put it off a bit longer.
I still have a slight coolant leak somewhere but in a year's time it hasn't gotten any worse at all.
It's interesting that this problem only manifests itself in the spring when it's not hot enough for the AC to come on but not cold enough either. (another reason I really hate that stupid Economy button as opposed to an AC switch)

By the way, I'm not convinced this is the way the car was designed... or maybe somethings off, but the fans still both work and the 2nd one comes on right at 204° F and cools everything down.

Quick Reply: Temperature needle fluctuates?