Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black smoke after 2 hours of driving.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 11:12 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

I've had 3 , none of which were un-drivable for days, let alone this many problems before its 30k service . So don't assume ....

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 09-17-2015, 06:55 PM
Rennaissance
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Character. It is different from most of the other SUV's that I have owned...

So at this point I am not thinking I have any problems. But it was weird for me to read your post. The way you described it, I have the exact same experience with my vehicle. AND ours are almost exactly the same MY, mileage, model.

=Steve
Thanks for the relief, fellow rennlister
I am glad to hear that one, I'm not alone to experience this and two, it's likely not an issue. Mine also gets plenty of power with the pedal more depressed, let alone sports mode
Old 09-19-2015, 09:00 AM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

** update #3 **

After engine ecu replaced , the service manager said vehicle started fine , but on the test drive it misfired and then died , had to be towed in .

And the game continues

Old 09-19-2015, 12:57 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by cwazyeurodrivr

So now I've opened a case with Porsche Customer Assistance center, ...

Not pleased !!!
I've had two separate issues, one each on my 911 and Cayenne where the dealer had to involve (with my vocal encouragement) PNA. One of those issues had to go to Germany. Both issues were resolved, but it took time. One resulted in a software update.

Coming from a military aviation background, I found myself having to keep my impatience in check as the problems were tough to resolve. They gave me a loaner and on the last of the two issues, they had their driver/porter deliver the car and take my loaner back. No charge.

Hang in there. I think your approach is the best option. Elevate the problem and give them a chance to fix the issues. If it gets much longer than a few weeks, I think a Cayenne loaner would be appropriate. That is what my dealer did for me from day 1. No 911 loaner, oh well.

Last edited by CAVU; 09-19-2015 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:41 PM
fatmatt0116
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The BMW twin turbo V8 engines had a similar problem. It was the bosch injectors and also the turbos. There was a huge recall for it.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:38 AM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

** Update**

Was just told that the wiring harness had zero effect on the vehicle, and that germany is now saying replace the Engine ECU, and order 6 other parts he rattled off to me.

I smell buy back in the very near future.... I'm not pleased $145K , 29K on it 7mths and it's un-driveable right now.

I'm going to give it another day and call my rover dealer and place an order
Ahh yes, the old "Throw some parts at it and hope for the best routine"

I wouldn't be pleased either

Not sure I`d turn to Range Rover though, seems theres a LOT of negativity surrounding there reliability too
Old 09-20-2015, 01:45 AM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

I've had 3 , none of which were un-drivable for days, let alone this many problems before its 30k service . So don't assume ....

This post of yours sticks in my head:

My 12 Range Rover sport, paid $101,750 for it , wait 26 weeks to get it...

Day 1, no am/fm radio signals... did even take it home after signing papers they had it for 13 days, had to replaced 2 wiring harnesses, finally had a fully functioning sound systems.

4K, all front end bushing replaced, constant " thunking" when going over bumps or pulling into driveways.
6K front diff replaced, housing cracked sometime before or after sitting at logan airport for 2 weeks.
10K ECU replaced, wouldn't start up
12K all keys replaced, wouldn't recognize all the keys
16k 2 electric water pumps, and radiator
18K main mechanical water pump started leaking
24K unknown vibration above 50mph, both drive shafts replaced, rear diff, rims, tires, then transfer case and solved.
35K tranny replaced
43K supercharger replaced seals went and leaked motor oil all over the engine bay and my garage.
48k viscus fan clutch replaced would stay on all the time
50K, 50K service they called me told me to keep the loaner for a few days and they'd call me when parts were in and it was ready. They replaced rear main, cam shaft seals, and timing chain cover seals.
65K sunroof wouldn't close, headliner and entire sunroof assembly was replaced
72K front air suspension bladders started to leak. $1460 each
74K air pump for suspension system died, $1500 extended warranty $100 deduct
80K GPS/info screen died, dash removed screen replaced warranty 100 defect
82K front cats replaced, 2 OS sensors
86K rear door stationary window seals oxidized complained to LRNA, replaced goodwill
94K non-replaceable battery in key died, ( recharges off ignition) $375 new key , $250 labor to re-program new key and spare key to vehicle
100K tech found replaced tranny leaking , New tranny replaced 3rd time because LR doesn't service trannies they just replace them and send them back to ZF.( yes I know dumb)
110K front diff leaking again, but at outer seals, replaced all seals, wheel bearings, front rotors, pads, and 2 tie outer rods
125K lower ball joints and control arms to pass state inspection
128K HVAC fan died, warranty $3200
136K bluetooth module died, $450 + labor
150K rear air bladder faults, battery replaced, problem goes away
155K alternator died
165K rear lower control arms $2900
172k Rear air bladders faults, need replacing $980 each, 1.5 days to replace, needs front and rear brakes $2300, needs full service all fluids changed, plugs, etc $2100, ......... Bought 14 Cayenne Turbo S...

So if you guys think a few problems with porsche is a huge concern... Think again... these " P!Gs" aren't anything to be honest with you. Go on the rangerovers.net site and look at the daily complaints of rovers not starting, trannys locking up or going into limp mode, thunking in frontends that LR engineers haven't fixed , and the many many complaints about the crappy infotainment system and the sanyo quality meridian sound system that sounds like crap, finishes that peal, flake off or fade, leather that falls apart, and the list goes on and on.

Now... I will say I loved my rovers they went anywhere in any weather... BUT owning a rover is like having 10 significant others to keep happy and maintained, not to mention you couldn't pass a gas station without looking down to see if it gas hog needed to be fed, at best I got 14 mpg with cruise control set to 64 mph, it avg 11.2 combined. So all in all if you want a maintence free vehicle go buy a toyota or lexus and stop whining. If you want something that makes you smile and giggly when you are cranking past people keep your porsche. If you want the ultimate high maintenance go any where vehicle go buy a range rover, but I promise you, you'll get to know the rover service advisers & techs really well .
Old 09-20-2015, 12:18 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Originally Posted by Sniffer
This post of yours sticks in my head:
point being .. they/it still was drivable.... unlike my current cayenne with 28K on it that I'm being told the engine won't start up at all now.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:28 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Originally Posted by CAVU
I've had two separate issues, one each on my 911 and Cayenne where the dealer had to involve (with my vocal encouragement) PNA. One of those issues had to go to Germany. Both issues were resolved, but it took time. One resulted in a software update.

Coming from a military aviation background, I found myself having to keep my impatience in check as the problems were tough to resolve. They gave me a loaner and on the last of the two issues, they had their driver/porter deliver the car and take my loaner back. No charge.

Hang in there. I think your approach is the best option. Elevate the problem and give them a chance to fix the issues. If it gets much longer than a few weeks, I think a Cayenne loaner would be appropriate. That is what my dealer did for me from day 1. No 911 loaner, oh well.

I completely understand and get that these are abnormally high in maintenance, my rovers were like having 8 significant others, but my main issue is ... At least my rovers were still drivable. This Cayenne engine won't even start up now according to the service manager. I live 390+ miles from the dealership where it's sitting and they called enterprise got me out of the ford escape and had them bring me a suburban. I was like ummmm NO . I need an SUV, not a mini-bus. So then they found me a Lincoln MKX, so thats what I have now.

I'm being told " your vehicle is getting a lot of attention from Porsche USA and Germany , and when it's fixed We've been told to have it shipped to you. "

yesterday I went ahead and ordered a Range Rover Sport Autobiography, My partner likes the cayenne, he doesn't drive as much as I do ( 10-15 miles a-day). So backup plan in place.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:29 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Originally Posted by fatmatt0116
The BMW twin turbo V8 engines had a similar problem. It was the bosch injectors and also the turbos. There was a huge recall for it.
I have a friend that has a 13 x5 5.0, he replaced all the injectors, then the recall came out, they replaced all of them again and refunded the money he had to shell out for the first round.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:44 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Originally Posted by Sniffer
Ahh yes, the old "Throw some parts at it and hope for the best routine"

I wouldn't be pleased either

Not sure I`d turn to Range Rover though, seems theres a LOT of negativity surrounding there reliability too
Any vehicle in this class, performance and capability will be high maintenance. My 09 RRSSC was a beast and the most reliable vehicle I've had YTD.I pushed that thing to it's limits more times than I could count. I'm not saying they are Lexus reliable, but 2 of out 3 were rock solid on reliability, My 12 was still better than average rovers, but still had more than normal issues. They still were high maintenance over all, BUT their customer service is #1, they always go out of their way , any major issues or repeat visits the vehicle was always detailed and spotless when I got it back. They call 2 days after to make sure everything is still OK. They call when they get alerts it's time for you to go in for service. I've even called them to make an apt, on my way to the airport, they've had me fedex the key & parking ticket to them, they went and got it, did everything I asked them to do , cleaned it, and then picked me up at the airport at 10pm and brought me to the dealer to get my vehicle which was in the service bay warmed up and cleaned off of snow .

Porsche.. " you are all set , its out in the parking lot, have a nice day " ... now..... " we can get it to start up, I'll call you monday afternoon with an update"
Old 09-21-2015, 06:11 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

**** update ****

Still dead , they put back in the original engine ecu and still wouldn't start up .

This is becoming entertaining fast !

Old 09-21-2015, 06:21 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

**** update ****

Still dead , they put back in the original engine ecu and still wouldn't start up .

This is becoming entertaining fast !

OK, you had a RR which was a disaster and now a Cayenne which is worse. Have you had any recent cars which worked well for you?
Old 09-21-2015, 06:52 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
OK, you had a RR which was a disaster and now a Cayenne which is worse. Have you had any recent cars which worked well for you?
What about a horse? Have you considered a horse?
Old 09-21-2015, 06:59 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

He wants a luxury, high performance SUV, but expects it to have the maintenance of a Toyota Hilux. What could possible go wrong?

If you've ever visited a range rover forum, it would be pretty clean that all maintenance issues on their cars are turned around within 1-day. They never spend an overnight in the shop. Ever. And when they are in the shop, they're still drivable. All Range Rovers come with a metaphysics package that still allows them to be driven, despite being on the lift.

Quick Reply: Black smoke after 2 hours of driving.....