Sponsored by:

Mobil One Vs Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 11:54 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cwazyeurodrivr
I'm hearing I should also carry 2-3 quarts of oil because of oil consumption during and after break-in? is this true? Should I just buy a case of oil during the break-in because of the amount of driving I do?
This will generate almost as a heated discussion as which oil to use

I got in a discussion with my dealer the last time I was in about Porsche's fluid policies and they are outstandingly insane to anyone with a lick of common sense and understand with how modern motors should be operating. I don't recall the exact number, but it was something as appalling as 1l/500m before PCNA will accept there is a problem and look into it. Personally if I had such a motor I'd be back at the dealer every time the level dropped until they fixed it (off the record the SA agreed that the numbers were ridiculous and he'd do the same thing).

The apologists will say "well sure, it's a high performance engine so it's supposed to burn oil" which is utter horse.... for a street car used in a "normal" manner.

At the end of the day, some motors burn a tanker of oil and others don't burn a drop. Some will be bad and then dwindle down to no significant burn. Others will stay steady their entire life. I'd suggest carrying an extra liter just in case until you know how it's going to perform.

The real important thing is if your oil consumption ever goes up, get it looked at quick as you likely have a problem (e.g. cylinder scoring).
Old 02-25-2015, 12:09 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

My '06CTTS uses a bit of oil around town, about 1qt per 1000 miles. On a 2500 mile cross country trip it used less than 1/2qt?
My 2013 991 C4S doesn't move off the full mark between the 3 oil changes I have just did in a little over 19K miles. I did the first break-in change in about 3K miles and the last two (just changed it tonight) at 8K each and it showed full still without any adding.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:15 AM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
My '06CTTS uses a bit of oil around town, about 1qt per 1000 miles. On a 2500 mile cross country trip it used less than 1/2qt? My 2013 991 C4S doesn't move off the full mark between the 3 oil changes I have just did in a little over 19K miles. I did the first break-in change in about 3K miles and the last two (just changed it tonight) at 8K each and it showed full still without any adding.
Ah so I'll just carry 2-3quarts just incase .

Thank you !
Old 02-25-2015, 10:23 AM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Originally Posted by gnat
This will generate almost as a heated discussion as which oil to use

I got in a discussion with my dealer the last time I was in about Porsche's fluid policies and they are outstandingly insane to anyone with a lick of common sense and understand with how modern motors should be operating. I don't recall the exact number, but it was something as appalling as 1l/500m before PCNA will accept there is a problem and look into it. Personally if I had such a motor I'd be back at the dealer every time the level dropped until they fixed it (off the record the SA agreed that the numbers were ridiculous and he'd do the same thing).

The apologists will say "well sure, it's a high performance engine so it's supposed to burn oil" which is utter horse.... for a street car used in a "normal" manner.

At the end of the day, some motors burn a tanker of oil and others don't burn a drop. Some will be bad and then dwindle down to no significant burn. Others will stay steady their entire life. I'd suggest carrying an extra liter just in case until you know how it's going to perform.

The real important thing is if your oil consumption ever goes up, get it looked at quick as you likely have a problem (e.g. cylinder scoring).
I'd expect a quart between oil changes with the way I tend to drive. I'm usually in the 75-105 range on the highways. Sometimes more if I'm late. With my 08 RRSSC ( 7500 miles oil changes) it never used a drop of oil between oil changes no matter how hard, fast,hot or cold it was. My 12 with the 5.0 uses 1-1.5 quarts oil changes ( 10K changes).

now my 14 Audi RS5..... which btw is worse of MPG than the rovers ever were. it used 3 quarts between oil changes and that has 26,700 miles on it last I looked ( been sitting in the garage wheels off the ground since before x-mas).

I hope the new Porsche doesn't use too much oil after break-in. I know they are performance twin turbo engines, but if they are engineered correctly they shouldn't use a drop. The master tech told " drive it like you stole it, but for the first 4K miles don't open it up, keep it spirited but not ***** to the wall until it's broken in" which I kinda do daily. He also mentioned to keep 2 other fluids on-hand ( forgot what they were). I asked him to tell Garry ( sales rep) to add them to the list & pile of stuff I'm going to purchase at delivery. I agree with you 1/500 is ridiculous after break-in. I can understand 1/7500-10000 miles being " normal" but 1/500? I'd have to carry 3 cases of oil with me at all times

I'm really looking forward to getting the Porsche, maybe I'll get rid of the Audi or let the other 1/2 take over the Audi and gain garage space.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:09 PM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Always so much drama when these oils discussions come up from time-to-time. The current Porsche oil specification is "A40", and there's a lengthy list of oils that are on the approved list (recent copy attached).

A 5W oil is good for a temperature down to -13 degrees F, and where I live we never approach a temperature that low. So I've been using a high quality 5W50 oil in my CTTS instead of 0W40 after being advised that the 50W upper range is believed by some to contribute to extending the life of the turbochargers, particularly in warmer climates.

Last edited by spooltime; 03-05-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:30 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Royal purple sucks, and so does Mobil 1. I just wiped my butt with the "approved list". Bob IS the oil guy for a reason.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:55 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Originally Posted by spooltime
Always so much drama when these oils discussions come up from time-to-time. The current Porsche oil specification is "A40", and there's a lengthy list of oils that are on the approved list (recent copy attached).

A 5W oil is good for a temperature down to -13 degrees F, and where I live we never approach a temperature that low. So I've been using a high quality 5W50 oil in my CTTS instead of 0W40 after being advised that the 50W upper range is believed by some to contribute to extending the life of the turbochargers, particularly in warmer climates.
Thanks !! I just cleaned out my Rover and I'm heading to the dealer shortly to pick up the new Cayenne. A friend of mine is coming with me he is shocked I am leaving the Rover world.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:33 PM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
Royal purple sucks, and so does Mobil 1. I just wiped my butt with the "approved list". Bob IS the oil guy for a reason.
This is a classic example of the drama I referenced regarding oil discussions. In "Kung Fu" parlance, you're "grasshopper" to "master" Bob is the Oil Guy"s wisdom; what oil graces your vehicle's oil pan since both RP and M1 "suck"?
Old 02-27-2015, 04:24 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cwazyeurodrivr
A friend of mine is coming with me he is shocked I am leaving the Rover world.
Let him drive the Cayenne a bit. He'll get it then

This is a classic example of the drama I referenced regarding oil discussions. In "Kung Fu" parlance, you're "grasshopper" to "master" Bob is the Oil Guy"s wisdom; what oil graces your vehicle's oil pan since both RP and M1 "suck"?
The person that invents the "no useful contribution" filter for forums will make a mint and probably be sainted and knighted to boot.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:05 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Wal-Mart brand with a teaspoon of hamster jizz.....

Fact of the matter is that any quality oil will keep the Cayenne engine in great shape with regular changes.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:26 AM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
Fact of the matter is that any quality oil will keep the Cayenne engine in great shape with regular changes.
Everyone knows Mobil 1 is the Porsche factory fill, and on the approved list you "wiped your butt" with, and in your previously expressed opinion, "sucks", so we less-informed people would like to know what "any quality oil" you use in your Cayenne based on your discipleship of the Bob is the Oil Guy forum. Share the love, man, and add to the knowledge base here.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:58 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Blackstone Labs UOAs seem to be well respected:

Here is a comment from their FAQ page

made me smile

Pretty much all of the turbo engined car manufacturers I have researched recommend Xw40 or even Xw30 oils for their cars.

Nissan GTR even go this far;

I'm not a Mobil 1 fanboy, and if Porsche used Royal Purple as the factory fill, then so would I.

All oil manufacturers are financially motivated and boutique oil manufacturers would not be able to sell their oils at a premium or indeed at all if the were not able to present better numbers. Are they necessary? ... I'll let you know in 700,000kms time.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:53 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Oils are good enough today that you can change oil brands every oil change with no ill effects as long as you get the correct viscosity for the driving conditions.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:00 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,411 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
Oils are good enough today that you can change oil brands every oil change with no ill effects as long as you get the correct viscosity for the driving conditions.
This is not true. For example, the Joe Gibbs oils that Jake Raby recommends fight Mobil's additive package. That why he recommends a flush process in the change over. This is just one example.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 07-10-2015, 11:11 AM
addysdaddy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
^ I'd bet your dealership is using Porsche approved Penzoil 5W40. Many do. Porsche approved and less $.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
As a matter of fact, Pennzoil Platinum Euro Spec Full Synthetic 5w-40 is Champion's (located in south Florida) go to oil. The offer M1 but you need to know to ask for it. The Pennzoil meets the Porsche A40 spec. My guess is it's cheaper for the dealership to purchase when compared to M1 - hence there's more profit margin.

Quick Reply: Mobil One Vs Royal Purple