Sponsored by:

Mobil One Vs Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 11:02 AM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Mobil One Vs Royal Purple

OK guys, new to the world of Porsche...My apologies if this topic has gotten beaten to death, I'm still a premie to the Porsche world :-)

I'm a huge fan of Royal Purple motor oil, Run it in my 14 Audi 4.0 twin turbo RS5, and my current 5.0 Rover ( getting traded for the 14 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S this coming week), and my past 2 supercharged rovers, 2 BMW V8 X5s, 4 Saabs, and 08 Audi 4.2 S5.

I know Mobil One is the choice of Porsche, but has anyone switched to Royal Purple in a Cayenne Turbo or Turbo S? I've always found the engine ran cooler, sounded quieter idling ( engine noise not exhaust noise), smoother and just looked cleaner between oil changes.

Any issues with changing to Royal Purple after the brakein period ( 2k miles)?
engine issues known?
anything else you can think of?

Thanks all !!

Last edited by cwazyeurodrivr; 02-22-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:16 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,411 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Ran cooler. Sounded quieter. Looked cleaner. Such silliness.

Use a Porsche approved oil. There are hundreds of them. None are Royal Purple.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 02-22-2015, 11:22 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

From the oil analysis I have seen on this forum about Mobil 0w-40 it seems to shear down to a 30 weight oil rather quickly and a lot of people think this contributes to the Cayenne Turbo's high oil consumption. I'm probably going to try Shell Rotella t6 5w40 on my next oil change as it seems to be more stable when it comes to shearing. I have also had excellent results with this oil in my other vehicles. If you do end up trying Royal Purple definitely get a oil analysis done so we can see how well its doing in your engine. Just because its not "Porsche Approved" doesn't mean it won't work.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:33 AM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Originally Posted by Dan87951
From the oil analysis I have seen on this forum about Mobil 0w-40 it seems to shear down to a 30 weight oil rather quickly and a lot of people think this contributes to the Cayenne Turbo's high oil consumption. I'm probably going to try Shell Rotella t6 5w40 on my next oil change as it seems to be more stable when it comes to shearing. I have also had excellent results with this oil in my other vehicles. If you do end up trying Royal Purple definitely get a oil analysis done so we can see how well its doing in your engine. Just because its not "Porsche Approved" doesn't mean it won't work.

I will ask the master tech on Thursday when I meet him during delivery, I'm sure I'll hear " stick with mobil one" but I'm personally not a fan of Exxon/Mobil due to the fact they are one of the many Corporations not paying their fair share of corp taxes to the states. I only use their products in emergencies. I'd rather give my money to Irving ( local oil, gas & diesel, LP provider or Shell. Just a personal preference.

Many make good products, I just want the best for the climate, and spirited driving I'm usually known for. The master tech and the LR dealer has taken video of me in the RRSSC and then texted me " I see you.. Oh wait you are gone now! " and has joked that my engine was the strongest, fastest, and smoothest running he's seen. He's also joked that my engine is carbonless haha
Old 02-22-2015, 11:39 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

It sounds like you are having the dealer do the oil changes? If so, yes he will recommend "Porsche Approved" Mobil One oil. If he doesn't I'm sure Porsche would love to hear all about that...
Old 02-22-2015, 11:42 AM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Originally Posted by LexVan
Ran cooler. Sounded quieter. Looked cleaner. Such silliness.

Use a Porsche approved oil. There are hundreds of them. None are Royal Purple.

There are many out there, but they are not the same , I want above and beyond the minimum requirements for the " approved " stamp.

I'm far from a " normal" driver, I'm usually good for an avg of 38K miles a year, I've gone as high as 96K a year. it's nothing for me to put 250+ a day on my vehicle supporting 28 sales reps running around NJ to ME. I've been known to Drive from Portsmouth, NH to Manhattan, NY in 3hrs 25mins. So needless to say I will use this new Turbo S full capabilities .
Old 02-22-2015, 11:53 AM
LexVan
Banned

Look into Motul's products.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:56 AM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Originally Posted by Dan87951
It sounds like you are having the dealer do the oil changes? If so, yes he will recommend "Porsche Approved" Mobil One oil. If he doesn't I'm sure Porsche would love to hear all about that...
Depends on the " feel " of the dealership. I get the rover done at an Indy place for basic maintenance, and anything else it went to the dealer. The Indy guy I go see here locally is a Porsche guy, but also works on Audi, Benz & LRs. He's usually always less expensive for fluid, filters, tyres, road force balancing, alignments, etc. Major things I let the dealer deal with unless Paul finds something he has time to do or wants to do.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:57 AM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Look into Motul's products.

Thanks !
Old 02-22-2015, 12:02 PM
LexVan
Banned

I don't know the proper viscosity for a Cayenne, but Mobil 5W50 is an excellent Porsche approved product. Better shear stability vs M1 0W40.

I use the 5W50 in my 991 C2S PowerKit.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:06 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

I would stick with Porsche recommendations for all fluids unless substantial evidence to the contrary is presented for a reason not to. Food for thought.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:11 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

I don't know the proper viscosity for a Cayenne, but Mobil 5W50 is an excellent Porsche approved product. Better shear stability vs M1 0W40.

I use the 5W50 in my 991 C2S PowerKit.

I'm open to try it ! Thanks for the recommendation!
This is what their website is suggesting :
Capacity 9,5 litre

Use : Normal
Intervals : Change 30000 km / 24 months
Products : 8100 X-CLEAN 5W-40 (Above -25°C)
: 8100 X-CESS 5W-40 (Above -25°C)
: 8100 X-MAX 0W-40 (year-round)

I'm assuming it's going to come with Mobil One 0W40 in it. I'd be willing to order Motul when I change it at 2-3K. I'm in NH coldest I've seen this year was -19F , so I'll prob stick with the 0W-40
Old 02-22-2015, 12:26 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts
Default Mobil One Vs Royal Purple

I use motul exclusively in all of my cars. By exclusively I mean I flush and change every single fluid for motul as soon as I get my hands on any motor vehicle I own. New or used.
Summer is 300v racing 20w-60, winter is 300v 5w-40 in my 06 tts (with a couple of mods). The 300v 5w-40 has better HTHS numbers than 5w-50 m1. And it's full ester synthetic, not HC.
In my 08 TT I recently bought, I'm going with 300v 5w-40 as well. It's not porsche approved, but pull technical specs and you can see for yourself that the motul is just a far better oil in all aspects. I also use motul in my transmission, diffs, transfer case, radiator fluid, brake fluid etc.

I do 10k km changes, oil comes out completely clean. Haven't done a test (yet), will do when I change to my summer fill when I come back from FL.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:32 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Originally Posted by lupo.sk
I use motul exclusively in all of my cars. By exclusively I mean I flush and change every single fluid for motul as soon as I get my hands on any motor vehicle I own. New or used.
Summer is 300v racing 20w-60, winter is 300v 5w-40 in my 06 tts (with a couple of mods). The 300v 5w-40 has better HTHS numbers than 5w-50 m1. And it's full ester synthetic, not HC.
In my 08 TT I recently bought, I'm going with 300v 5w-40 as well. It's not porsche approved, but pull technical specs and you can see for yourself that the motul is just a far better oil in all aspects. I also use motul in my transmission, diffs, transfer case, radiator fluid, brake fluid etc.

I do 10k km changes, oil comes out completely clean. Haven't done a test (yet), will do when I change to my summer fill when I come back from FL.
Thanks !

Yeah I'm usually one to do oil changes 7500-10K miles, depending on how much traffic I've been stuck in in and around NYC or Bos, temps, and just how heavy my foot has been between oil changes. I'm very OCD when it comes to getting my vehicles serviced before their due date/mls. I've gotten compliments and my chops busted on how clean my vehicles are 95% of the time, and how well maintained they are.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:34 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by cwazyeurodrivr
I'm open to try it ! Thanks for the recommendation! This is what their website is suggesting : Capacity 9,5 litre Use : Normal Intervals : Change 30000 km / 24 months Products : 8100 X-CLEAN 5W-40 (Above -25°C) : 8100 X-CESS 5W-40 (Above -25°C) : 8100 X-MAX 0W-40 (year-round) I'm assuming it's going to come with Mobil One 0W40 in it. I'd be willing to order Motul when I change it at 2-3K. I'm in NH coldest I've seen this year was -19F , so I'll prob stick with the 0W-40
One of the difficulties in this is you will likely not see "benefits" or "drawbacks" while you own the truck. From what you posted, it looks like you have gone through cars rather quickly. It could be 150k miles or more before you would see the negative or positive repercussions of going against manufacturer recommendations. Maybe you'd hit those high mileage numbers based upon your driving history... But Porsche does bench testing in house simulating hundreds of thousands of miles "driven" (or more) and make recommendations based upon those results--not just the engine "idles quieter."

People get very passionate about a product which has "always" worked for them... Even though the majority of time, from my experience, there is zero qualitative data supporting their "results." Case in point, my grandfather who has put Marvel Mystery Oil in his '83 Benz diesel since birth, so naturally that is why the car has made it to 600,000 miles (and counting). One data point does not make an argument to blaze your own trail in the care of your car's engine when the manufacturer did the qualitative testing for you already.

Sounds like you're sticking with something from the "approved" list, which is good.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Mobil One Vs Royal Purple