Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone check out Cayenne-Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 09:41 PM
dawktah
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone check out Cayenne-Experience?

Had a chance to go to the Chicago area Cayenne Experience, and boy was it! I enjoyed the off-road course they had set up. Everyone exited the vehicles with grins the size of Texas, including me.

One thing that was awesome was the hill-holder demonstration. After looking at the tach I realized it all brakes and no engine assist.

The grunting and groaning of the vehicle over the uneven dirt surface was different.

The On-Road course was a blast. I hadn't driven an "S" in some time and could really feel the difference. They quickly went away after the first turn. Handling was almost the same. I haven't had a chance to race or Autocross so I couldn't push it as fast as possible. The driver before us scared the poor soul from Porsche to death. He thanked us for not giving him another scare!

If you get the postcard about the one in your area I strongly recommend attending!

P.S. I was too excited leaving the house and forgot a camera!
Old 08-19-2003, 05:05 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

YES! I whined my way into the Dallas Cayenne Experience this Saturday the 23rd at 3P. My sales person told me that you weren't supposed to get an invite if you already owned a car, but she relented and got me in!! I'll try to remember to take my camera and post some pics.

And.... for those of you who live in Dallas (Karl?), my sidekick bailed on me, so I can take someone along for the ride! Any takers (Franklin's gladly accepted! )??
Old 08-19-2003, 05:27 PM
geoffucla
Instructor

I'm signed up for Saturday at 10am. I can't wait!!!! I've had my C-S for about 6 weeks, and now I have about 1960 miles on it, so I'm just about to be let loose off the break in period. I've also done a lot of hunting to find some good offroad places around the metroplex, but without much luck. So, I'm hoping to be able to see what these babies can do (especially without initially doing it with my own!). Maybe I'll see you around on Saturday--

Geoff.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:35 PM
Jessa
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm signed up for Sept 5th in Alameda, and it will be my first ride/drive in a Cayenne. Recently, I participated in a simmilar (but probably more tame) promotion that GM did in the same location. Lots of cars and trucks were present, including the H2. I wasn't expecting anything from it, but it actually did handle some off-road terrain quite well.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:27 AM
EuroCarNut
Instructor

Toby,

Thank you very much for the invite. However, I'm signed up for Sunday at 11:00 am. If I get done what I need to do on saturday, I might go out there just to see what is going on. Are you taking your Cayenne out there, or are you taking the 930 so that they don't give you a hard time?

Karl
Old 08-21-2003, 08:07 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

I promised my salesperson from Park Place that I would drive the 930 so as to avoid any problems. Perhaps I'll see you there!

BTW, was that you exiting the Tollway last Tuesday night at Forest Lane around 6:45P or 7:00P? There was a silver Cayenne that turned right at the light as I pulled up to go left. I honked, but no hail from the other driver.

Toby
Old 08-22-2003, 11:06 AM
EuroCarNut
Instructor

Sorry, not me. I always wave at other Cayenne drivers. Not much response most of the time.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:35 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Karl,

I did the deal this afternoon. Really a gas! In fact, I'm signed up again tomorrow so my wife can try her hand at these feats! Better yet, we're signed up for an 11A appointment tomorrow, so hopefully see you there!

Toby
Old 08-29-2003, 11:48 AM
wesnichols
Track Day

hi
does anyone know the URL for the experience? I recall it being something like cayenneexperience.com or some other 'microsite' (not porsche.com), but can't get it working.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:31 PM
dawktah
Racer

www.cayenne-experience.com I was frantic trying to remember myself then I remembered the hyphen.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:31 PM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll be at the Alameda Point event on Sat 3P
Old 08-29-2003, 05:33 PM
Jessa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Anyone here going Fri at 4PM?
Old 08-31-2003, 12:20 AM
Stevarino
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA (Brentwood) & New York, NY (Tribeca)

I traveled from Santa Monica to Pomona on Friday - about 44 miles in holiday traffic. Anyone from the Westside should skip it, as the courses are obscenely short. I bet I finished the road course in under a minute. My suggestion is to go to Auto-Gallery and drive Topanga Canyon Rd. It's a much better test of the Cayenne, although if you intend to use it seriously off-road, that might be worth the several hour commute.
Old 08-31-2003, 10:24 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yesterday I attended the experience in Pomona, and I thought it was quite well run.
Having never been "off road" I thought the OR course was really amazing, in particular the big hole that lead into the big hill, take your foot off of the gas and the Cayenne just stayed with it's hill holding, and so steep I thought I was in a lazy-boy recliner with all of my weight on my back, wow!
The autocross course was nicely laid out and fairly fast, always fun to push a car that is not your own on a course where you do not have to worry about oncoming traffic, nice comment from the pro rider "you drove a good line". Got three laps instead of two since they did not punch my ticket for the first. Preferred the S over the Turbo, handled better with steel springs and throttle response was more linear.
Old 08-31-2003, 02:47 PM
DanP
Instructor

Noticed this while stopped on an uphill.

Probably a stupid question, but is the hill-holding done by it applying the brakes or by engine?

Quick Reply: Anyone check out Cayenne-Experience?