Sponsored by:

May I ask a simple question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 06:10 PM
John..
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default May I ask a simple question?

Why would anybody buy the Cayenne given the fact that the VW uses the same chassis and can be ordered with a very powerful Diesel engine?

In my opinion, this is analagous to buying the Lexus version of the Camry just to get the name.

Personally, I think the VW looks better and is a better value.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:45 PM
whajj
8th Gear

Good question. However, i think i can answer you from experience. Before buying my Cayenne, i rented both the Cayenne and the Touareg for a week each. I drove both and i can tell you that even if teh chassis is identical, the cars drive SOOOOOOOOO different. Forgetting the power for a second, the general handling and "smoothness" of the Cayenne is incomparable (is that a word ). I have been driving an X5 for a while, and just love it. I still have the X5 and i can tell you the only thing that beats it is the Cayenne. Amazing car.

Additionally, the feeling of teh inside of the Touareg is not as classy and as steardy as the feeling of teh Cayenne.

That's my personal views anyway.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:33 PM
JDH3
Track Day

I think you should buy the Tuareg or the Camry if thats the car you want. The same arguments can be make about your 928 or you 944. Why did you buy them over another classic. I mean don't we all love the 78' corvette's. Before you start talking about the highs and the lows of each I'll tell you why, because you like those cars! If you ask me anything over 15k is total waste on a car. Get a Honda civic and drive it till' the wheels fall off but most of us like to show a little flare with what we drive.

Some people really hate to buy the cayenne because the Tuareg is very close in performance. I think some of the people here hate to drop 50k on a vw, not that there is anything wrong with that. Like I said before to each his own. Now if I could just figure out what car to buy next.

BTW: I like the 928 and the 944 myself
Old 08-09-2003, 01:15 AM
JB in Irvine
Track Day

10 Reasons why to order the Cayenne vs the VW Diesel

1. You can buy a Cayenne, you can't a VW Diesel (at least not yet in the US)

2. The Cayenne S is faster...a lot faster

3. The Cayenne Turbo is way...way..faster

4. The VW looks like, well, a VW...Passat nose on an SUV...makes my heart beat harder...NOT

5. I prefer the styling of the Cayenne.....its bold, its aggressive....the VW is boring

6. You can order the Cayenne heavily customized/personalized.....like all Porsche's

7. There is more prestige in the Porsche name plate

8. From all reports the Cayenne performs better on the road

9. I love the interior design of the Cayenne....all those round dials in the VW look goofy to me

10. While your waiting getting your Cayenne serviced, you can go for a test drive in a 911
Old 08-09-2003, 02:25 PM
JeffES
Pro

JB, good one!!
You know, there's always the discussion (argument)... if a Casio keeps great time, why wear a TAG/Rolex/Zenith???? the answer is - 'Cause I can! :-)
J
Old 08-10-2003, 12:16 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

May I ask a simple question?

Sure. Why do people buy the Cayenne instead of the Touareg?

They like it. There can be a hundred reasons why they like it, some may be irrational; but it's their money.

If you ask the question, because you feel there can't be a rational answer; then you don't value performance enough to pay for it. My .02......
Old 08-11-2003, 09:44 AM
camcayenne
Advanced

differences... handling ... basic split : touareg power is split 50/50 F/R its 32/68 on the porsche effectively making it RWD with a bit of safety from assistance at the front.. also programming on the air supension different as is overall wheel diameter etc... the cayenne is more sporting.... you pays your money takes your choice...whatever you buy you personally are shelling out the cash and you personally are driving so go with what you want and let other people do the same... some people drive pink cars for example -- fine by me but I would never but one myself.. personal choice...
Old 08-11-2003, 01:11 PM
John..
Three Wheelin'

Well, I would lay my money on a turbo Audi wagon before either, but if I had to buy one or the other, I would put my cash in the VW. Too much sharing of components to justify the extra $$$ for me.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:38 PM
JeffES
Pro

John,
Great! Audi makes a fine car. Are you actually looking to purchase a vehicle? If so, give the Cayenne a drive. It's an amazing machine. I've one on order (S).
J
Old 08-11-2003, 02:20 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

drive before you criticize. i've not driven the VW offering, but from what i've experienced in the cayenne, theres no way a vee dub could match it.

my .02
-Michael-
Old 08-11-2003, 08:27 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

I drove the Cayenne S, that I had for the day - to the VW dealer; for a Touareg demo drive. I thought it would be a good comparison (like a wine tasting).

The Touareg handled well. But I could feel the weight and the high speed swerve maneuver was good.

However, the S picked up your butt and moved you out and the swerve maneuvers were far better. I need tow capacity so the v6 is not an option.

Bottom line I decided to go Touareg, because I couldn't't justify the price premium for performance alone. Then I read the www.vwvortex.com forum.

VWOA is treating the Touareg buyers like young $20K purchasers, which is not good. At best their service is shoddy, now with this new model; they are more confused than ever.

Right now I'm geared to buy a S in Oct with air & spare. But I still hate to pay the premium. The good news is that the P dealers are willing to discount (touaregs are not).
Old 08-14-2003, 03:01 AM
beemaze
Instructor

My solution,

Buy 'em both...
Old 08-14-2003, 12:31 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Not good for those who are garage challenged.......
Old 08-14-2003, 03:31 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 224 Posts

I saw my first Toureag yesterday and I thought it was much better looking the Cayenne (just my opinion- not trying to start a ruckus). I did like the Cayenne's interior better though and I must admit the grill is too "Passat".

But the brakes looked identical to those Cayenne- does anyone know if they are?
Old 08-14-2003, 06:51 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I can't help you there but there is only one Turbo to choose from...

Quick Reply: May I ask a simple question?