Considering a move from X5 to Cayenne GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 05:26 PM
Suraj Gaurav
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a move from X5 to Cayenne GTS

Hi folks,

I just joined the forum. I currently drive a 2012 X5 50i and strongly considering a couple of vehicles including M6 Gran Coupe, X5M and Cayenne GTS. I am very familiar with BMW products and have realized over the years that they offer great value! Usually I lease my vehicles, 3 yr/36 K Miles. X5M and GTS are similarly priced. GTS drives and sounds very well. On the other hand, X5M has great power.

For BMW, I have worked with Southern California dealers and they provide very nice deals. I would appreciate if you could provide feedback on the following

1. What is a typical lease payment to expect for Cayenne GTS optioned to 100K, for 3 yr/36 K miles?

2. Are there any dealer recommendations on West Coast, LA area?

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2014, 06:00 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,773 Likes on 1,081 Posts

I'm shopping too, owned a couple porsches and many bmws. BMWs lease fantastically well, Porsche does not offer anywhere near the incentives BMW does. Second, BMW is such a volume car you will get a better "deal". My last one I got for about 3k below published dealer invoice. Yeah really. You won't be anywhere close to that with Porsche.

My suggestion: Simply call around to the porsche dealers, ask them their residuals, money factors, and acquisition fees on their leases and compare that to BMW. You can read experiences here but I wouldn't expect much more than 6% off MSRP. BMW you should be able to get about 1k over invoice w/o trying too hard.

As a comparative BMW X5D right now are about .00130 MF and 59% residual on a 12k/36mo with a $725 lease fee. You can do multiple deposits to get the MF down to .00049

Last I looked porsche cayenne money factors were higher, residuals lower, and selling prices higher (less discount). None are factors in a good lease.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:52 PM
Suraj Gaurav
8th Gear

Would love to hear more feedback
Old 05-30-2014, 03:34 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

In my opinion, Porsches are meant to be bought and not leased. If you go with the CGTS, you will drive with a smile on your face every time. Sorry I can't provide feedback on lease number as I bough mine. What I can tell you is that CGTS is an amazing suv
Old 05-31-2014, 11:11 AM
Thaddh
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I'm shopping too, owned a couple porsches and many bmws. BMWs lease fantastically well, Porsche does not offer anywhere near the incentives BMW does. Second, BMW is such a volume car you will get a better "deal". My last one I got for about 3k below published dealer invoice. Yeah really. You won't be anywhere close to that with Porsche.

My suggestion: Simply call around to the porsche dealers, ask them their residuals, money factors, and acquisition fees on their leases and compare that to BMW. You can read experiences here but I wouldn't expect much more than 6% off MSRP. BMW you should be able to get about 1k over invoice w/o trying too hard.

As a comparative BMW X5D right now are about .00130 MF and 59% residual on a 12k/36mo with a $725 lease fee. You can do multiple deposits to get the MF down to .00049

Last I looked porsche cayenne money factors were higher, residuals lower, and selling prices higher (less discount). None are factors in a good lease.
Leasing a cayenne is tough. Money factor is between .20 and .26 depending in credit. They cap the residual at a certain percent of MSRP so if you add a bunch of options the residual won't go up. I typically lease through my business but I purchased a 2014 GTS as you can get an interest rate of 2.24 up to 60 months and 3.9 to 84.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:56 PM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 437 Likes on 254 Posts

I love the way our CT handles, and the interior is superior to the BMW X5M. However, I test drove an X5M recently and I think it offers more bang for the buck with greater HP and the handling is not too bad. The BMW dealer will deal with you whether you are buying or leasing, the Porsche dealers here are very fond of their cars and just don't want to deal like BMW.

If you look at the maintenance being included in the BMW it makes more sense than paying $300 to $1000 a year for oil changes and scheduled maintenance at the Porsche dealer (although BMW will only change your oil every 10K miles or yearly, I usually do it every 5K miles and I have to pay for that one).
Old 06-01-2014, 03:18 AM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Value over price.

If you are counting pennies, go BMW.

If you desire satisfaction, go Porsche.

Been with both, happier with Porsche.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:56 PM
Suraj Gaurav
8th Gear

Thank you for all the feedback. Could you please share perspective on the following views?

1. X5 50i (current ride) and Cayenne GTS have similar performance, nice looks. I am willing to pay more premium for the GTS. However, in my 'very early' conversations with dealer, it looks like GTS lease payments would be twice as much as X5. More specifically, almost $1800/month w/tax and minimal downpayment. That seems too much of a premium for the brand, that I know for a fact drives and handles extremely well.

2. GTS is more expensive to lease than even an X5M which has HP in a completely different league. Again, this sounds odd to me.

Bottomline, I am willing to spend more for a premium brand. I do recognize the superior driving capabilities. It feels to me that the difference (1.5 to 2 x) is excessive in terms of cost of ownership.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:48 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,773 Likes on 1,081 Posts

The math is not hard to work out. You only need to know selling price, residual, money factor, taxes. Given crap porsche money factor that number could be close. Only you can decide if worth it or not. The new x5 is really good. Scratch the porsche itch with one of their sports cars.

I have my emotional car over here
<-----------
Old 06-02-2014, 01:37 AM
Suraj Gaurav
8th Gear

I appreciate the 'itch' suggestion However, at this time I need the practicality of 4 doors and preferably SUV. With BMW, it is very easy to find legit residual and MF - there are sites that provide that info. How do I find such info for Porsche? I realized that the dealers are not very open about it. Furthermore, they always inflate the numbers. It appears that they try to create artificial demand by keeping supplies limited.

I am looking for a change from BMW after 8 years. Porsche certainly has a lot of appeal. On the same token, Maserati QP is also extremely nice. My local dealer is offering a loaded QP GTS with MSRP of 150K, 3.8 liter V8/525 HP for only 1299 + tax. I have been visiting the Maser forums and owners are generally very passionate about their vehicles. Seems like a nice choice to me
Old 06-03-2014, 05:27 PM
fq
Instructor

Suraj, you are absolutely right and are thinking about it the right way. First of all, don't believe anyone that tells you this is a premium car that doesn't have discounts. Last summer I got a brand new C2S with a 125k MSRP with a capitalized cost of less than 109k.

Cayenne, especially GTS, inventories are huge right now and you should be able to get huge discounts. Remember, the MF and residuals are going to be fixed, your low lease payment will be driven by any hidden factory-to-dealer incentives that you will have to drive a hard bargain on to capture.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:25 PM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 437 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Suraj Gaurav
I appreciate the 'itch' suggestion However, at this time I need the practicality of 4 doors and preferably SUV. With BMW, it is very easy to find legit residual and MF - there are sites that provide that info. How do I find such info for Porsche? I realized that the dealers are not very open about it. Furthermore, they always inflate the numbers. It appears that they try to create artificial demand by keeping supplies limited.

I am looking for a change from BMW after 8 years. Porsche certainly has a lot of appeal. On the same token, Maserati QP is also extremely nice. My local dealer is offering a loaded QP GTS with MSRP of 150K, 3.8 liter V8/525 HP for only 1299 + tax. I have been visiting the Maser forums and owners are generally very passionate about their vehicles. Seems like a nice choice to me
The Maserati QP is the worst POS car we ever owned, got rid of it within a year and bought an S600 (which is still going strong at 63K miles).

Last edited by blackland; 06-03-2014 at 08:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Considering a move from X5 to Cayenne GTS