Sponsored by:

Cayenne carbon fiber rear bumper plate/trim

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 01:02 PM
SpooledCTT
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne carbon fiber rear bumper plate/trim

On the 2008 Cayennes, theres a plastic white rear bumper guard/protector that I always see is scratched, damaged and down right ugly looking.. I couldn't stand to look at it anymore so I installed carbon fiber contact paper over it. Since finding Carmona Red adhesive would be difficult to find, I chose the carbon fiber. There are a few slight tiny bubbles but the Florida heat may fix that.
Attached Images    

Last edited by SpooledCTT; 05-21-2014 at 02:24 PM. Reason: pic
Old 05-21-2014, 01:04 PM
SpooledCTT
Rennlist Member

pics

Last edited by SpooledCTT; 05-22-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:23 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 597 Likes on 459 Posts

I'm pretty sure if you have a white plastic trim piece on your bumper, the original brushed metal cover fell off to make it look ugly that way!
Old 05-21-2014, 04:46 PM
SpooledCTT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garrett376
I'm pretty sure if you have a white plastic trim piece on your bumper, the original brushed metal cover fell off to make it look ugly that way!
Yes indeed, it was white and ugly but from what I've read, the dealer doesn't sell the correct shiny, OEM piece. I hear that even if you can find one used, they don't clip or bolt on correctly. I could be wrong??
Old 05-22-2014, 12:54 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not exactly the most durable material for a step plate,
Old 05-22-2014, 02:46 AM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Been working great on my bike...
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2014, 02:55 AM
Cole
Drifting

I've used it for cosmetic things too. But in areas where you might expect to rub heavy objects, dog paws, etc it probably isn't the most durable choice.

There is a reason Porsche put a stainless steel plate there (obviously missing on the OP car).

Covering an rare normally covered with stainless steel for durability isn't exactly the same as covering the thin plastic fake tank area and other plastic trim bits of a F650 BMW.(which does look cool that way btw) Wonder how well it crashes in the rocks with that stuff?
Old 05-22-2014, 06:52 PM
SpooledCTT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cole
Not exactly the most durable material for a step plate,
Just curious, I'm certainly not being snarky, but what would you have chosen to cover the ugly 'elephant in the room' problem? I don't load and unload at home depot nor do I transport cargo that would scratch it. It's a daily, family commuter car. Would love to hear any suggestions.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:05 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by SpooledCTT
Just curious, I'm certainly not being snarky, but what would you have chosen to cover the ugly 'elephant in the room' problem? I don't load and unload at home depot nor do I transport cargo that would scratch it. It's a daily, family commuter car. Would love to hear any suggestions.
I've got the same stuff on my pillars, headlight washers and several interior bits. So it's not a knock on the material. I do think it looks cool! If you never scratch it that is great.

Personally, I would have sought out the correct steel trim plate. Maybe bed-lined black if you wanted it black. But that is just me

I guess I see the "Sports Utility Vehicle" and want to make sure that if I wanted to use the utility it wasn't hampered by a mod.

Last edited by Cole; 05-22-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:04 AM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
I've used it for cosmetic things too. But in areas where you might expect to rub heavy objects, dog paws, etc it probably isn't the most durable choice.

There is a reason Porsche put a stainless steel plate there (obviously missing on the OP car).

Covering an rare normally covered with stainless steel for durability isn't exactly the same as covering the thin plastic fake tank area and other plastic trim bits of a F650 BMW.(which does look cool that way btw) Wonder how well it crashes in the rocks with that stuff?
Well the plastic was in rough shape before i wrapped it. And i haven't bailed too hard yet. I was in some slippery mud the other day and the bike is too heavy for real "Dirt bike riding", although the 650cc has plenty of power to get out of trouble. I wrapped the silver stuff in silver wrap and i don't really like the way it looks. The options were: Wrap, paint or hydrographics. I chose to wrap because this bike gets abused.
Now for the cayenne step? At least it's cheap and easy to redo. And if you like it then what the hell.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:12 AM
Cole
Drifting

Talking

Originally Posted by seafeye
Well the plastic was in rough shape before i wrapped it. And i haven't bailed too hard yet. I was in some slippery mud the other day and the bike is too heavy for real "Dirt bike riding", although the 650cc has plenty of power to get out of trouble. I wrapped the silver stuff in silver wrap and i don't really like the way it looks. The options were: Wrap, paint or hydrographics. I chose to wrap because this bike gets abused.
Now for the cayenne step? At least it's cheap and easy to redo. And if you like it then what the hell.

Yeah, don't get me wrong on the rear step. I'm not arguing it. It was more of just a passing observation on the mod. No harm in trying it out

Fwiw.....we have 4 dual sport bikes.(two each). One of those is my wife's F650 Dakar

Quick Reply: Cayenne carbon fiber rear bumper plate/trim