Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Cayenne PCM issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 12:15 AM
James Yoo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the amp in today and plugged it in. No sound... Since the truck originally came with a cd changer, which is now missing, do I need to have the cd changer removed from inventory? Could that be causing no audio? Since the display is busted, I have no idea what the PCM is saying in terms of errors. Can the dealership update without the display?
Old 05-07-2014, 12:40 PM
James Yoo
Advanced

I called the service dept and found out that since I had a cdc, that i would need to close the loop since i'm not replacing the cdc. I was informed that there was no coding necessary, that it should be plug and play. I was under the impression before that there was some sort of inventory that needed to be maintained, but apparently not.

Does anyone have any suggestions where i can get a cable to close the loop where the cdc was? Also, how to go about that?
Old 05-07-2014, 12:50 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 54 Posts

Yes, if you just pull out the CD changer and leave the plug hanging you won't get any sound. You need a little MOST plug that plugs into the MOST socket (black plug I think but has two Orange wires going to it) and lets the fiber optic path continue. Each orange wire should have an arrow on it, one going in and one going out. It's a fiber optic ring in the car and you break into it at certain points to install items: CD, PCM, Sat, etc... but you must let the ring continue through the device and out or through an plug not being used. The dealer should have these or they are on Ebay.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:52 PM
James Yoo
Advanced

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
Yes, if you just pull out the CD changer and leave the plug hanging you won't get any sound. You need a little MOST plug that plugs into the MOST socket (black plug I think but has two Orange wires going to it) and lets the fiber optic path continue. Each orange wire should have an arrow on it, one going in and one going out. It's a fiber optic ring in the car and you break into it at certain points to install items: CD, PCM, Sat, etc... but you must let the ring continue through the device and out or through an plug not being used. The dealer should have these or they are on Ebay.
That makes sense. I'll try the dealership to see if they have that plug.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:30 PM
James Yoo
Advanced

Dealership was able to order me a plug and got it today. Plugged it in and still no audio... Stopped by the car audio shop and they took a meter to the amp to make sure it was getting power, which it is.

What else can I check or do?

The audio shop suggested I take it to the dealership to diagnose the loop. What would that entail them doing? Can a durametric tool do the same thing? If so, I would rather go buy durametric then pay a hour of labor.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:14 PM
James Yoo
Advanced

Can a busted screen cause the HU to fail and not send out a signal?
Old 05-09-2014, 01:26 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

no and yes if you stick an object all the way into it
Old 05-09-2014, 04:48 PM
James Yoo
Advanced

Originally Posted by mudman2
no and yes if you stick an object all the way into it
Are you saying if an object went through the screen?
Old 05-09-2014, 04:50 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If the monitor is just bad it should not stop it working. if however an object went thru the screen I am sure the electronics behind it would no longer work as expected
Old 05-14-2014, 11:52 PM
James Yoo
Advanced

I have sound now! Took it to the dealership. At first, they didn't think there was much they can do with out putting a new PCM in to run any tests. Then the service manager had one of his guys come out and we talked a bit. He thought he could try to run some tests on the loop to send signals to the amp and speakers. He also thought, he would check the inventory on the fiber ring and at least remove the cdc that wasn't there anymore. About a hour later, I get the car back and I have audio. They needed to code in the new amp and remove the cdc from inventory.

What's an average cost to have stuff coded? Granted I had them do a little exploratory work, but got an invoice for $150. That seems a little high to me. Either way, I have audio and now I can move on.

Thanks again for everyone's input and suggestions.

Quick Reply: 2004 Cayenne PCM issue