2004 Cayenne PCM issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 10:57 AM
James Yoo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 Cayenne PCM issue

First time post here!

So I'm thinking about purchasing my first pig. The only issue seems to be the screen has a shattered look with no audio and display not working. Any ideas on what needs to be done and cost to fix this? I've read some other threads where people have replaced the screen for a couple hundred, but not sure if that would fix the audio issue or if things would display correctly.
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2014, 11:19 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 793 Posts

If you have no audio at all, then you may need more than just a screen. You may need an entire PCM replacement. You can find used units at salvage yards or online.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:21 AM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

There are a few threads here about replacing the PCM entirely with something like a Kenwood. Search should reveal them or GIYF.

I think the unit is a Becker. These guys may be able to help or point you to a local place for a complete diagnosis:

http://www.beckerautosound.com/

I think it'd be tough to answer your post based solely on a photo.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:45 AM
James Yoo
Advanced

Thanks for the quick replies!

Unfortunately, i don't have any other images to show since the car is out of state.

Do you think the screen is damaged or just an artifact? I've read on other threads about resting the unit using some button combinations, or some sort of locking/unlocking with the key in the ignition. Also, some people mentioned checking the fuses. Do you think that would fix anything?
Old 04-16-2014, 12:22 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

I can't comment on the screen. I do know that several have experienced the PCM failing to turn on if the battery is low. The solution is to both get the battery up to proper voltage and cycle the ignition key on and off.

We have many places near me which can do a full diagnosis. Wouldn't that be best as part of your PPI?
Old 04-16-2014, 12:22 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think its shattered because its not glass on the front, it looks damaged tho. You can replace the LCD yourself if you have skills
Old 04-16-2014, 01:03 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mudman2
I don't think its shattered because its not glass on the front, it looks damaged tho. You can replace the LCD yourself if you have skills
<g> You can machine a whole Cayenne out of a billet if you have the skills.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:05 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

And of course I did
Old 04-16-2014, 01:10 PM
James Yoo
Advanced

I saw the thread where it showed how to replace the lcd. Seemed pretty straight forward. Just debating what route to take.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:22 PM
James Yoo
Advanced

So I called Becker Auto Sound, they told me worst case if it's just the PCM unit, it would be $750 to repair. They thought with no audio, that it could also be the amp, which would be another $500.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:15 AM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Or... ask a friendly Rennlist forum member that is planning on replacing their perfectly good PCM 2.0 with an aftermarket unit.

That screen looks impact damaged.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:53 PM
James Yoo
Advanced

So, I bought my first p car! Should be getting it sometime mid next week.

I was able to get the service records from the indy shop that serviced the previous owner, and see that in Jan of last year, the owner towed the car in because the battery was dead to replace. They also noted that the radio would turn on, but no sound. After reading through different threads, there is a chance that it was related to battery being low or dead, and possibly just needs a reset. The screen does look damaged, but looks like I can find a replacement screen for a couple hundred bucks, if I want to go down that path.

As for being a newbie, what all does the PCM do? I've never used PCM before. I realize that it controls the audio and navigation, but what else? I'm pretty close to piecing out an aftermarket solution, thanks for all the threads and discussion, but wonder what I'll lose by not going PCM? With aftermarket, I plan on using the Nav-Tv Most-Hur harness, just haven't decided on HU. I want to keep as much functionality from the steering wheel controls. I read that a lot have success with getting trip and fuel info on the aftermarket HU, but loose the data in the instrument cluster.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:55 AM
James Yoo
Advanced

I got my p!g delivered yesterday!

Looks like the amp is missing! Who takes just the amp???

Does anyone know the part number of compatible bose amps for a 2004 CS? Any good places to source one out? I'm looking on eBay, looks like used ones are running around $400.

So to get the PCM up and running, looks like I'll need to replace the screen and amp, ~$600.

By going after market, I'm not sure it's cost effective now trying to integrate with MOST. Sounds like I can keep existing bose speakers and swap in different amp. I'll need to spend around a $1K now ($600 nav-tv, $400 for amp), before the HU cost.

What other info/functionality does the PCM offer besides controlling radio and nav? I'm trying to determine by going completely after market, if I will loose something important to me.

Ideas? Suggestions?
Old 05-02-2014, 12:48 PM
James Yoo
Advanced

So I tracked down a Bose amp pulled from another 04 CS with model number 7L5035456C. Should I just be able to plug in play? Will I need to take it to the dealer at all to be coded so it will be recognized?
Old 05-02-2014, 06:04 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think the amp needs to be coded. Just plug it in and see if it works. Even if it needs coding, it shouldn't damage it just by plugging it in.

Quick Reply: 2004 Cayenne PCM issue