Sponsored by:

New Yoko's For the Cayenne S

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 11:38 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts
Default New Yoko's For the Cayenne S

My Michelin 275-40-20's lasted 17,000 miles and I was not about to pay the Michelin price for another 17,000. These Damris tires were always noisy and they wore out rather fast for all the highway driving I do. I even did an alignment at 10k miles just to be sure everything was in spec.

I wanted the Conti DWS but they are getting expensive and they were not in stock. So I called Damon at Tire Rack and we spoke about the Yokohama Prada Spec XL for my 2009 Cayenne S with 20" Sport Tech wheels. Price was great, great reviews and they are in stock. Damon knew the exact tire and vehicle I had and seemed extremely knowledgable. It's really nice to just call someone and they just know what you want and need. Plus it's nice that Damon posts on these forums too so you know who to call...just a nice simple transaction...thanks Damon!

I just had the Yoko Prada's installed today. I got the alignment done too and so far put only 200 miles on them. They are very quiet and ride very good. I hope they age well and I can get another 1 or 2 years out of these Yoko's.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:06 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got them in 20" on my Pepper too, almost a year now. I'm very pleased.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:56 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Thanks Bill that is what I hear about these tires.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:13 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Good feedback Mike, thanks for sharing.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:35 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Put another 200 miles on them today...really great ride compared to the Michelins I had. I got into one of the typical Florida down pours today too and in the wet the Yoko's were great.

My wife ran an eran tonight and she even noticed the difference.

I have a 1500 mile trip next week so by the end of this year I should have another 6-7,000 miles on the Yoko's so I will keep an update through out the months.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:05 AM
union
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also looking to buy some new tires for my Cayenne, 20". Newbie question, but are these Porsche rated?
Old 07-15-2010, 09:44 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by union
I'm also looking to buy some new tires for my Cayenne, 20". Newbie question, but are these Porsche rated?
To the best of my knowledge the Yoko's are not Porsche N rated.

Trending Topics

Old 07-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You realize that this puts a monkey-wrench in the years of buying and trying tires for all my vehicles.

Michelin was always known for longevity, stability, low road noise, fair handling and a very smooth ride. Safety was their no.1 priority for years. You'd pay the high price however you'd have tires for almost the duration of your lease or at least a good three years of daily driving.

On the other hand, Yokos, Toyos & Bridgestones have been known for a low to medium lifespan, inability to remain 100% structurally intact or 'round' after driving in harsher conditions than usual, extremely high road noise, excellent handling characteristics and standard ride comfort.

So, who bought out Michelin?
Old 07-15-2010, 11:24 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by 993BillW
To the best of my knowledge the Yoko's are not Porsche N rated.
Correct not n rated but the important part is they are the same size and load rating as the n spec Porsche tires. I am in the USA and on my suv do not need sticky tires that only last 12-17k miles. Plenty of Heavy suv's use the Yokohama Prada Spec XL tire
Old 07-15-2010, 11:28 AM
mdrums
Race Director

I can tell you that I have been using Toyo tires for track events for the last 4 years and never had an issue. Some Porsche's come stock with Yoko or Bridgestone...they make excellent tires. Michelin makes excellent tires too but I've never considered them to be the absolute best.
Originally Posted by Andy E.
You realize that this puts a monkey-wrench in the years of buying and trying tires for all my vehicles.

Michelin was always known for longevity, stability, low road noise, fair handling and a very smooth ride. Safety was their no.1 priority for years. You'd pay the high price however you'd have tires for almost the duration of your lease or at least a good three years of daily driving.

On the other hand, Yokos, Toyos & Bridgestones have been known for a low to medium lifespan, inability to remain 100% structurally intact or 'round' after driving in harsher conditions than usual, extremely high road noise, excellent handling characteristics and standard ride comfort.

So, who bought out Michelin?
Old 07-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Some Porsche's come stock with Yoko or Bridgestone...they make excellent tires.
My GTS came stock with the N-spec Yokohamas. I cannot really compare them to another tire as I have yet to try anything else on the Cayenne. I can only say that they're excellent in the rain!

My Porsche buddy always bought Continentals for his 911. He used to balk at my Bridgestone purchases and always tell me, "German car-German Tires. What part about this formula do you NOT understand?". LOL!
Old 07-17-2010, 03:11 AM
jr1966
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy E.
My Porsche buddy always bought Continentals for his 911. He used to balk at my Bridgestone purchases and always tell me, "German car-German Tires. What part about this formula do you NOT understand?". LOL!
Haha, German car, German tires. I actually like that, really. How about German car, Korean tires. As that is exactly what I have in both my 996 and my CTT. Hankooks, to be exact. Evo12s on the 996, highly rated by the Germans, which replaced the OEM Bridgestones (German car, Japanese tires). However, the Hankooks came with the CTT when I got the vehicle. As soon as they wear out, I have the Conti DWS in mind. If they're not available during the time I would need them, I may also end up with the Yokos, same as the OP, which would be my 2nd choice anyway. I know the choices, because I've shopped at Tire Rack already, even though I still don't need them.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:38 PM
mdrums
Race Director

I now have 2000+ miles on these tires and am really liking them. They are perfect in the rain, much better than the Michelin Diamaris that came on my Cayenne S.

Thanks goes to Damon at Tire Rack for making this the easiest on-line buying experience I've ever had. Damon knew exactly what I was talking about when I called.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:50 PM
00Jay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you like the Yoko Pradas. I was lucky enough to get the Conti's DWS 275/40/20s last month from Discount Tire. The ride was a bit rough at first, but the tires were pumped to 50psi in the rear. Took them down to 47psi, and they're quieter than the Conti 4x4s that were on before. Don't think you can go wrong with either set's of tires for the Cayenne.

The N-spec tires have ridiculous tread wear ratings....especially if you use your Cayenne as a daily driver.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:40 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Still lovin' my Yoko's, no complaints. I think I run them a little lower than 47 though, I'll have to check my chart in the garage.

Quick Reply: New Yoko's For the Cayenne S