Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 02:06 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Entry and Drive

Anybody having problems with this?

Mine has been acting weird, sometimes it locks when you walk away and sometimes it doesn't. Other times the display shows ifailure to recognize the key, but the car continues to run.

I know the manual says to touch the door handle to lock it upon exit, but this was not always necessary.

One other time (first day) the car wouldn't repond to the system, and the dealer had to "rescue" it.

It's been at the dealer for 2 days and they're scratching their heads.

Plus the rental car sucks!
Old 07-30-2003, 10:57 AM
DanP
Instructor

I had the identical question several weeks ago, and the consensus is that it is always necessary to push the handle button to lock (no walk-away & self lock as I originally thought).

I get a "failure to recognize the key" every other day but everything still works fine.

When the car didn't respond, did the manual key still work?
Old 07-30-2003, 11:19 AM
loliver
Instructor

Once my car would not unlock. I used the actual key to unlock. It never happened again
Old 07-30-2003, 12:07 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

When the car didn't respond, nothing worked there was a complete shut down. The battery had to be disconnected, reconnected and the car jump started.

Why? I don't know I wasn't there at the time but the problem hasn't repeated itself, yet.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:08 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Day 4 and no solution.

Porsche cannot erase the error codes, it's now in the hand of the engineers in Leipzig.

After tomorrow, I think I need to upgrade my rental.

Colm
Old 08-01-2003, 06:58 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

Colm,

Sorry to hear about your service woes. Just got my S back a week ago after spending 10 days in the shop to ultimatley replace the bosch ABS control module. It took so long since the diagnostic euipment did not pin point the problem and required the tech to trace and test the entire electrical system. Hopefully there won't be anymore surprise electric bugs since it's had a complete once over. Hope your problem get solved soon. Hang in there...

Old 08-01-2003, 07:57 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm hanging tough and not complaining..so long as it 's fixed when I get it back. The dealer is very attentive and doing a good job of communicationg the status.

They're doing, a manual search, looking for an open short in a control unit.

I still think you can just walk away, and have the car lock itself. Mine was doing it for a week or so.

Any ideas, tricks, techniques out there?
Old 08-01-2003, 08:22 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Colm & Rocketman: Your patience is of Biblical proportions.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:54 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Colm:

I have Entry & Drive. I am trying to understand it a little better. Usually, I use the key remote button to lock the car rather than touching the button on the door handle. I just tried touching the handle and the door locked. I opened the door and then closed it again and did not lock it. As I was standing there, after about 20 seconds, the directionals in the headlight flashed and the car locked itself, just as you said w/o touching the door or the key remote control. Pretty cool, but not sure exactly how it works. I am currently trying to decifer the exact procedure on how this works by reading the somewhat disorganized owner's manual. I will post any relevant info, especially regarding the automatic locking procedure.

Last edited by rockitman; 09-19-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-02-2003, 12:34 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

Slightly off-topic here, but nice picture. See you have the same fitment issue in the right side of the stainless steel panel as I had with mine.

Sorry, back to the topic at hand. Colm, we'll all be interested to see what the outcome will be. Please do keep us posted on progress with Entry and Drive. Technology sounds great, but just like all early releases, there are some bugs to work out. God help us if Microsoft wrote any of the control unit software in our vehicles!
Old 08-02-2003, 01:52 PM
Matt C
Addict
Rennlist Member

Couldn't it be that all the "self-locking" some of us have experienced was cause by the security "feature" that when the car is unlocked but no door is opened, it will re-lock itself after a couple of seconds??
Old 08-02-2003, 04:38 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Red face

Yep, Matt C... Lock the door, then unlock it and not open the door, the security system re-locks the car automatically after about 20 seconds. Thanks for clearing up the mystery!!!
Old 08-02-2003, 08:49 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

That is not what I was talking about. Exit the car, walk away and the car locked itself. It stopped working, that's one of the reasons I brought it back in. That, plus failure to recognize the key.

We'll see what happens
Old 08-02-2003, 09:37 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Question

Colm:

How is that suppose to work? Do you need to have the funny plastic key in the ignition for the auto lock to work??? ie. have your real key in the pocket, close the door and leave plastic key in ignition and when you walk away, it locks??? I am trying to work thru the manual to see if it says anything about this for the entry and drive system...
Old 08-03-2003, 03:19 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, the plastic key has to be in the ignition.

However, you will not find anything in the manual about it. The information there, on this subject, is pretty sparse.

The dealers have a CD with more info, maybe you can get them to access this information.

Quick Reply: Porsche Entry and Drive