Sponsored by:

Porsche Entry and Drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 03:54 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 65 Posts

Hey Guys,

For those of you who never owned a 993, I have some bad news to share.
It would seem Porsche has done nothing to make the entry drive systems in there cars less complicated. I have the same problem with my 97 993.
It would seem that the car does not like to start unless you take the key out of the ignition, close the door, reset the alarm on then off, then usually it starts.

Who ever is engineering these systems at Pcar should be very very fired.
The entry and drive systems are not user friendly and even once you've gotten used to it, it's still a pain in the ***.
It reminds me of the Idrive system that BMW has. It's over engineered and is form over function.. I can't see why they can't get something simple like unlocking and starting your car a bit more practicle.

p.s. when I test drove the Cayenne it took me 2 minutes to figure out how to open the door and another minute to figure out that the car wouldn't start unless your foot was on the brake. I can understand the car not letting you shift out of Park without the foot on the brake, but come on.. to start the car.. what a pain..
Old 08-04-2003, 03:12 PM
dawktah
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the Entry & Drive in U.S. supposed to unlock if you grab one of the rear doors? The manual says "doors" with no designation as to which. I am having similar problems, mostly with coordination with seat position. The second key will not set the driver's seat all the way back and down upon exit all the time. Not to mention the back and down of the seat keeps getting lost from memory.

I get key not recognized at rear doors and hatch. I am going to try new batteries in both and see. I have yet to try walking away to lock.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:17 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Save your money...it's not the batteries.

It's got to be software related.

Have the dealer access the error codes.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:30 PM
KY_soldier
Racer

with all of the issues you mention, one thing is clear - I will not opt for that feature. I think simply pushing the button on the key to lock the car isn't too hard!
Old 08-04-2003, 06:29 PM
DanP
Instructor

Well, quirky as it is I'm getting to like never having to take the key out of my pocket, and touching the handle button to lock is not a big deal.

Do wish that it would self-lock, wonder why they did not, some sort of liability maybe?
Old 08-04-2003, 07:16 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too am getting use to and liking the Porsche E&D system. Went to the Porsche site and nowhere does it describe that you can close the door, walk away and it will lock by itself. It only says:

For added security and greater ease of use, both Cayenne models are also
available with the new Porsche Entry & Drive System. As the name suggests, this optional system enables you to enter the car without the
inconvenience of a standard key. Despite its high-tech capability, this practical new system is simple and easy to use. Whenever you want to enter the car, simply reach for the door handle as normal. As you do so, the electronic key in your pocket communicates with the system on board the car, which confirms the key access code. If the correct code is found, the doors are automatically unlocked and you are free to enter the car. The entire process is totally seamless, as if the doors had never been locked. Once inside, you can start the car using a simple key-switch on the dashboard. After checking the code on your key once more, the system unlocks the engine immobiliser and brings the car to life. At the end of your journey, simply press the button on the outside of the door handle and the car is automatically locked. As well as locking the tailgate and doors, the system activates the engine immobiliser and steering column lock. If you prefer, you can lock the car as normal using the standard key remote.

* I think they should offer a microchip implant so that we don't need to carry the electronic key in the pocket. That would be real convenient. Just kidding!!!
Old 08-04-2003, 11:14 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I know what it doesn't say in the manual, or the Porsche training literature...but this system was intended to operate (and lock) the car when you walk away from it..without touching the door.

Mine worked beatifully for about two weeks, including the first day after delivery when they brought it back to the dealership, after it had failed and locked my wife out.

The salesman and I checked the operation many times while it sat on their garage floor over the weekend.

I picked the car up on July 11, and it was back in the shop on July 12, less than 1 day later, and no one had a clue as to what went wrong.

I brought it in on July 28 and it's still in the shop.

I hope someone from Porsche is monitoring this website, because two more visits (without a fix) under California law and it's a lemon.

I'm being patient, but only until it runs out!
Old 09-03-2003, 04:41 PM
rons2112
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts

Just curious what the resolution was for this problem. Is it fixed? Is everyone on the board that has this option relatively satisfied and happy with it? This is one of the many options I am considering right now.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:35 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

So much for electronic do-dads À?À
Old 09-04-2003, 11:42 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

It still doesn't work the way it used to, i.e just walk away and it locks. It does work when you push the little button though.

I haven't had time to deal with it, I was hoping someone on this board would figure it out for me.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:06 PM
dawktah
Racer

FYI, you should be able to grab the rear door handles as well for the doors to unlock. Mine were not communicating, so I am getting new rear door handles.

Once I have this fix in place I will check to see if it automatically locks. I will also let my service guy search menu to see if feature has to be turned on. If it does will also let you know.

Does anyone know if the key is always on??? After I replaced the batteries I could stand next to someone and if they reached for the handle it would unlock. Now I have to bear-hug door to get it to open. I replaced the battery as of the date of an earlier post in this thread.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:26 AM
SurfCayenne
Advanced

Originally posted by rons2112
Just curious what the resolution was for this problem. Is it fixed? Is everyone on the board that has this option relatively satisfied and happy with it?
On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 8!

The concept is great but could use some improvement! First, a "walk away and lock" option would be fantastic as long as one could change the option easily. Currently I don't believe it exists. Secondly, it's a shame you still have to carry around the big-heavy key fob. A credit card fob carried in your wallet would be much better.

I've had my car nearly 5 months and have yet to have a key battery problem.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:12 AM
DanP
Instructor

Completely agree with SurfCayenne - hadn't thought of it, but a Credit-Card key instead of a fob would be fantastic!

The option has grown on me quite a bit.

Plus for those of us that have to carry lots of keys, not dealing with a keychain dangling from the ignition is pretty cool.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:17 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

The walk away and lock option exists...my car did it for two weeks and then got lazy. Or something was inadvertantly reset.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:43 PM
dawktah
Racer

Hey Colm,

There has got to be a faulty chip in there somewhere. The sudden failure of the walk away lock feature and the inability for mine to hold seat and steering wheel positions has to be related. Now when I get in I have to hold the "1" button until the positions are reached. Before I could just press and release or more importantly reached by turning the fob.

Quick Reply: Porsche Entry and Drive