Grille guard?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 01:38 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Grille guard?

I know that this may be blasphemous, but does Porsche make a decent OEM grill guard for the Turbo? I am planning on spending a lot of time in pretty deep snow on the backroads of the North Cascades (one of the snowiest places on earth...) and would like to know what is available for front-end protection. I may even consider a winch, ala the Transsiberia. The Transsiberia is a NA motor, so it has a decent cut-out in the front end for a winch.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
TomF

Last edited by TomF; 08-30-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:39 PM
abatis
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Check Carid (forum sponser) out, they may have some options. I am in Western Montana and the deer are like rats up here and jump out of no where to find peace with their maker. I have seen a few of the Mercedes SUVs with grill guards and they looked okay. Here is one I found online.
Attached Images  

Last edited by abatis; 02-03-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:46 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I have seen that design and it is okay... I would like something that looks more Porsche Design-esque. I am surprised that there seem to be very few options.

Best,
TomF
Old 02-06-2014, 03:01 AM
ckarlos
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You can also ask local fab shops if they can create a bumper for you since you're planning to install a winch. It's much stronger and can give more protection than grille guards or bull bars.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:54 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I can't remember the name of the company, they are based out of the UK.

For a touareg, but they are custom built and probably could be fabbed for your truck, Mounts on the tow points

Old 02-06-2014, 01:10 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not trying to turn my CTT into a rock crawler, but I do take it on some primitive "roads" and have been disappointed that functional offroad armor, like real drive train skid plates and sliders (vs. sheet metal fashion accessories), is virtually non-existent in the US. Porsche can't even get its own major tire suppliers to make AT tires in most Cayenne sizes.

Last edited by DWPC; 02-06-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:49 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by touareg
I can't remember the name of the company, they are based out of the UK.

For a touareg, but they are custom built and probably could be fabbed for your truck, Mounts on the tow points

Toureg, that's much more of what I am looking for.

Deer did more than $1mm in car damage last year in the valley where our cabin is. There is a running total sign at either end of the valley. That is only on the one state route in the area. Go off the state route, and the number climbs even higher.

While this is only one consideration, any protection that I can get would be welcome. I also am looking for protection from occasional contact with larger frozen snow drifts on the back roads.

Ultimately, a winch and some serious LED off road lights would be perfect!

Cheers,
TomF
Old 02-07-2014, 10:58 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

In that case I dusted of my memory and googled. I did a lot of research about a year ago, even for the touareg there is not much, the cayenne even less so. The "factory VW" install which is similar to the cayenne is this:

The other alternative is to weld a winch plate to the front crash bar, and then cut the front bumper like this guy did.

http://www.touareg4x4.com/brico/winch/

I am pretty sure this is the same channel mount winch plate from harbour freight for $49:

http://www.harborfreight.com/univers...unt-90476.html

The bull bar, slider and winch from my original reply to this thread is from these guys:

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/prospeed/7648898704/

ProSpeed UK:
Hidden Winch Mount 720 GBP
Detachable Bull Bar 570 GBP

http://prospeed-group.co.uk/offroad/

I had emailed them when I was thinking of converting the touareg to an off road beast not sure where you are located, but me being in the US, I was pretty ready to go for this:

------

On 11 Mar 2013:

Hi, came across your flickr stream. Do you folks sell the bull bar and hidden winch as well as undercarriage protection?

Thanks!

-------------------

We do ship to the US, depending on what you are looking to get it can be very expensive.

Current lead time is approx. 8 weeks. Just so you know the rock slider cradle is not actually available, we made it as a one-off and haven't had the chance to finalise it into a production product.

The underbody parts also require a skilled fitter, bosses are supplied which then have to be welded into the chassis.

Regards,

ProSpeed Group
Bell Hall
Escrick
York
YO19 6HL

01904 728112
www.prospeed-group.co.uk
info@prospeed-group.co.uk

Last but not least for the zombie apocalypse.

http://www.rogueengineering.com/bmw/2012POR.html
Old 02-08-2014, 01:33 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best thing I've seen isn't for the Cayenne but the Land Cruiser- ARB Bull bar. I'd prefer something that handles like a Porsche, but have been on the fence. After living in Conifer,CO @ 9600ft. a full bull bar was very useful on my brothers truck when I slid it off the road and into a small tree -grandfathers '92 Silverado.. I'd like the same thing..Honestly the deer strike my stepmom got and the near miss I had you'd want the full wings (light) covered.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:23 PM
Matt Bronowicz
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI TOM, DID YOU EVER FIND 08 CAYENNE TURBO?
I BOUGHT ONE A YEAR AGO FR9M CHICAGO AFTER LOOKING FOR SOME TIME. I LOVE MY 08 TURBO.

WHY ARE YOU WANTING THAT YEAR 08?

ALSO DID U EVER FIND BRUSH GUARD?

Originally Posted by TomF
Thanks. I have seen that design and it is okay... I would like something that looks more Porsche Design-esque. I am surprised that there seem to be very few options.

Best,
TomF
Old 01-22-2017, 06:06 PM
BamaScoot
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Do those deer whistles not work? I know they were everywhere back in the 90s.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:11 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,513 Likes on 4,148 Posts

Deer whistles do not work. Back in the 90s there was a guy in upstate NY whose business was buying salvaged title Saabs, fixing and reselling them. I saw some deer whistles on one of his wrecked cars at the shop and asked him of they worked. His response was "the last 3 cars I fixed from deer strikes had whistles on them".
Old 01-23-2017, 09:48 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Realize this is a wicked old thread, but in the interest of future searchers, the guy who owns Otis the off road P!G had one fabbed up and may be able to point someone in the right direction: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...meet-otis.html
Old 01-23-2017, 07:04 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Friends out west say deer whistles are really deer calls! I have been looking for a bull bar also.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:07 PM
RS-America
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

Check out the Meet Otis thread on this forum. Also the Meet Otis article in the December Pano. Not easy to see on the thread, we do have a winch that is stored internally and can be mounted in the front or rear trailer hitch. The winch has a hard point mount on the roll bar. Skid plates front to back, rock sliders, and bull bar. We do not rock climb or search out deep mud holes. We do extensive off-road Overlanding and TSD endurance road rally.
Thanks ventoGT for pointing to the Meet Otis thread. Always happy to point folks in a direction and hopefully avoid mistakes we made.

Last edited by RS-America; 06-07-2017 at 06:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Grille guard?