Sponsored by:

Dynavin head unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 01:27 PM
koolkat1973
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sent Jeff an email with the following inquiries:

- My GPS antenna takes anywhere between 2-5 minutes before it finds a signal. I have played with several different locations and it all seems to do the same thing. Is that normal or do I have a weak signal? The only thing is when it does find the GPS signal, then it works flawlessly thereafter. No dropped signal whatsoever.

- I can't seem to get the traffic monitoring to work. Everything seems to be activated and GPS antenna signal is good. However - my navigation have yet to pick up traffic in my area. Is there something I'm missing to activate? Base on the setting within the Navigation software - all traffic applications are activated. Thanks again.

Waiting to hear back from him and will update this thread. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:00 PM
koolkat1973
Instructor

This was Jeff's response to my inquiry above...

The traffic stuff is not supported by the hardware in that unit. Understand that dynavin makes the hardware and we as the dealer install the appropriate nav program on it. So the Igo Primo Navigation program is capable of TMC but the dynaivn unit is not. Think of it like a computer program, there may be things in the program that are not supported by your particular computer hardware.

For the GPS antenna, it sounds like a weak signal as it should take seconds, not minutes. To see the signal strength you should exit the nav program to get to the background winCE system, go into "setup" and look at the GPS monitor. It will show a bar graph, grey bars mean its got signal but the signal is too weak to lock, blue bars mean its locked.

Im wondering if Porsche used a metallic coating on their windshields, we have that issue with some BMWs and Mercedes, the coating is meant to reflect heat but it also reflects the GPS signal. In these cases its necessary to put the antenna on the roof or sometimes on the rear glass.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:37 AM
gbratk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have privacy glass package (double a-termic glass) you have to install gps antenna outside the cabin. I have try many portable gps devices in my Cayenne, but there is no chance to get them work.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:09 AM
mikeymikey
Instructor

Isn't there a way to connect the existing gps antenna (the one for PCM) to this unit?
Old 02-26-2014, 09:27 AM
Hal 2000
Instructor

Thanks for all the answers koolkat.

Does the signal to the sub woofer fade out as you approach max volume?
This was a typical Bose design in the oem head unit so they could use a cheaper under powered sub.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:08 AM
koolkat1973
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikeymikey
Isn't there a way to connect the existing gps antenna (the one for PCM) to this unit?
I had thought the same thing but I believe the answer is no.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:09 AM
koolkat1973
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hal 2000
Thanks for all the answers koolkat.

Does the signal to the sub woofer fade out as you approach max volume?
This was a typical Bose design in the oem head unit so they could use a cheaper under powered sub.
Truthfully - I haven't pushed it to max volume and when I do listen to my music loud, I didn't notice the sub fading out. Bass sounded pretty decent to me.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:01 PM
koolkat1973
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikeymikey
Actually... upon further research, I think this is possible. I believe the OEM GPS antenna is plugged into the existing Navigation DVD unit under the passenger seat using a FAKRA plug. The Dynavin unit GPS antenna plug is an RG174 SMA plug so I will either buy an RG174 coax cable with SMA plug and splice off one end to connect to the Fakra crimp connector which I got from ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380155915292...84.m1497.l2649

The hardest part here is to run the cable from behind the head unit to under the passenger seat. I believe this will do the trick and allow me to connect to OEM GPS antenna. I will report back the result a week or so when I receive the part and put it in.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:33 AM
koolkat1973
Instructor

Originally Posted by koolkat1973
Exactly!!! my requirement before I did this was to make sure I still retain the OEM look. I hate the way aftermarket unit look in these cars. This is by far the perfect unit. I have one more thing I need to do before I screw it down and put the trim back. I have an OEM reverse camera that I want to integrate into this unit. I have order fraka to rca to connect video input into the unit. The other thing is to get a relay to change the postive to negative trigger so that camera pops out when transmission is put into reverse.
Good news regarding the OEM camera pop out. After connecting the relay (reversing positive to negative trigger), the OEM camera pops out when the car is put into reverse. The next step is to connect the Green Fakra connector to video input and I should up and running with reverse camera functionality. I expect to receive the Fakra connector in the mail either today or tomorrow.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:14 PM
koolkat1973
Instructor

What a bummer... it looks like I ordered the wrong Fakra connector for the Green Fakra input to RCA. I ordered a Z female connector but it turns out I need an E (Green) Male connector. At least I just learn alot about Fakra connectors. Here's a link to a nice tutorial on Fakra connections...

http://www.wellshow.com/technical-su...kra-connector/

It does matter what color Fakra you are connecting along with Male or Female. I guess I'll have to wait another 2 weeks before I can get rearview camera along w/ testing out the OEM GPS antenna.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:38 PM
carreragttech
Advanced

If you use a razor blade and carefully cut the male locating locks it will be a round connector and plug in! Not exactly right but it works!
Old 03-01-2014, 02:14 PM
DavieGravy
Instructor

Does it have HD radio?
Old 03-01-2014, 09:49 PM
koolkat1973
Instructor

Originally Posted by carreragttech
If you use a razor blade and carefully cut the male locating locks it will be a round connector and plug in! Not exactly right but it works!
Thanks for the tip. However - I ended ordering a new fakra cable from China. Just gotta wait another 2 weeks for it.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:49 PM
koolkat1973
Instructor

Originally Posted by DavieGravy
Does it have HD radio?
No - I don't believe it has HD radio.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:34 PM
petey9984
1st Gear

It's nice to see that you're integrating the factory camera and gps antenna into your head unit, but I am super curious as to how the most interface they provided is connected to your stereo. Is it simply power/turn-on/ground with an rca input, or does it have a special connector so it only works with your radio? Your setup looks good, I can't wait to see if the cars gps antenna plays nice with your head unit, as that would be ideal.

Quick Reply: Dynavin head unit