Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynavin head unit

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 09:49 PM
RSbob
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Sounds like a super unit, but am waiting for them to catch up to 2011 and include HD FM reception like on my stock VW head unit/changer.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:47 AM
pvanosta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Map updates anyone

Hello again,
Has anyone tried updating the maps on Naviextras.com and if so, what was the procedure?
I am guessing:
- remove the microsd from the unit
- register on Naviextras.com with a PC and download the app
- insert microSD into the PC

Update: the abve procedure is the correct one. HOWEVER: it is asking me for some sort of coupon code to be redeemed, when both tha Naviextras and the Dynavin websites (and the Dynavin manual) state that you get free map updates for 3 years as long as you register.
- there is nowhere to register on the Dynavin website, so I registered on Naviextras.com
- no difference, still asking for a coupon or code

Has anyone solved this and how?

Last edited by pvanosta; 12-16-2018 at 05:55 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:54 PM
pvanosta
Instructor

Update: I was able to connecto naviextras and download map updates.
Next challenge: my installer put the GPS antenna in the passenger A-pillar. Nice and clean. Also incapable of getting a stable GPS singal unfortunately.

Has anyone installed one of these and connected it to the existing GPS antenna from the Porsche NAV head unit? If so, how did you do it? Any details or description?

Right now I am stuck with a brand new nav unit which spends its time hunting for a signal and getting me lost in the process....
Old 12-21-2018, 04:40 PM
pvanosta
Instructor

Originally Posted by koolkat1973
To get the rearview camera, I got the following cable from Ebay to hook the OEM rearview camera (green fraka) to the Dynavin unit (Brown RCA input)...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251399608484...84.m1497.l2649

Along with this, I had to get this relay to convert the Reverse gear trigger from positive to negative trigger before connecting it to the Dynavin. This will allow the OEM camera to pop out when the transmission is put into reverse...

Amazon.com: Absolute USA 2 In-line ATC Fuse Holder, 2 Relay RLS125 12 VCD Automotive Relay SPDT 30/40A and 2 SRS105 12 VDC 5-Pin Relay Socket: Car Electronics

The other thing I got work is connect the Dynavin GPS input to the Cayenne OEM GPS antenna. The OEM antenna plug is located under the passenger seat connected to the existing Navigation DVD unit. It is a green fakra plug (female) so I had to order a blue fakra plug (male) connector from Ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380155915292...84.m1497.l2649

I also bought the following GPS Antenna cable from Amazon so that I can use the SMA end to connect to the Dynavin and cut off the other end and terminate it with the blue fakra crimp connector I got from Ebay.

Amazon.com: 28dB LNA Gain 1575.42MHz RP-SMA Male GPS Active Antenna Aerial Connector Cable: GPS & Navigation

I found this video for a DIY on crimping fakra connector.

HT-336G RG58/174 Crimping Tool - YouTube

I didn't have the tool so I just crimped really carefully with a plier and it worked fairly well. Order two or more of the blue crimp fakra connectors in case you messed up. I ordered 2 and good thing I did since I messed up the first one.

Hopefully - this will help any that are on the fence about this Dynavin unit with our Cayenne. It's a great unit and I'm extremely happy with it.

The only thing I can't seem to get to work is the traffic monitoring (TMC). I will play around with that some more in the near future. Don't hesitate to post or hit me up if you have any questions. Jeff, with http://www.jandtdistributing.com, is awesome and very help during the whole process. He is very responsive to emails.

Kiet
I'm going to show my lack of technical knowledge here: could you provide a step by step on how to connect the Dynavin to the existing Porsche GPS antenna? I keep losing signal on my freshly installed Dynavin (antenna in the A-pillar) and I have two left hands. I'm trying to gauge who I can farm this out to, based on complexity etc.
Does the Porsche antenna not use Fakra? Is it a question of terminating a cable with a blue fakra, which runs from the Dynavin to the green fakra under the seat? Thanks for any help.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:20 PM
lkraav
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by corellian vette
Second, the icons for all the options look like they were pulled off Getty Images. They are super generic. I bought a cheap Eonon unit for my other e39 and that thing at least tried to mimic the factory BMW UI, so it felt very cohesive in that car. This clearly looks like something aftermarket and more PC like than car like. I wish someone spent just a few more hours on the UI to make it feel a bit more factory.
Glad to see someone else obsessing about graphical design quality. Those icons indeed look horrible.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:50 AM
lkraav
Intermediate

955 PCM 2.1 got swapped to N7 yesterday.

2 things are head scratchers:

* connecting OEM GPS - need some kind of a Fakra E -> Fakra C adapter, which I can't tell if even exists, or a right-angle Fakra C jack to swap out the OEM green Fakra E jack - but struggling to find the right type of jack, because OEM jack is a flush-mount version, which I'm not able to find yet aftermarket.

EDIT solution is probably in using a Fakra Z ("universal" key) female to Fakra C extension, or similar.

EDIT got Fakra Z-s connected up, still zero signal

* OEM reverse camera doesn't display anything - I would assume this to "just work (tm)" via the harness, since there's no separate camera connector on the PCM 2.1 either. User manual talks about a "Reverse" item in Settings menu, but it isn't there on my latest 3.0.6.0 firmware.

Radio UI and BT audio works nice. Looking into alternatives for iGo Primo, since its UI looks are somewhat meh. Thus far have only located Navitel as a Windows CE alternative, and maybe https://www.navit-project.org, but usually open projects have horrible UI, since can't afford professionals to work on it.

Last edited by lkraav; 10-25-2021 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-07-2022, 08:35 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I just pre-ordered a Dynavin N8. Due out in May. FYI...
The following users liked this post:
lkraav (04-08-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 03:44 AM
lkraav
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JAGMAN1
Nice. So they've dropped WinCE, in Spec sheet I now see "Android 8.1 OS with 2 GB RAM and 32 GB or 160 GB ROM"

2GB RAM is a bit disappointing effort :/

https://www.dynavin.de/en/products/c...specifications
Old 04-09-2022, 01:45 PM
thesteve
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

I thought the main thing about Dynavin was the OEM look and feel. Not a fan of that oversized touchscreen with the modified top part.
I'm starting to think... if I could get my hands on good firmware and some more knowledge of how those radios work I could go into business selling that Chinese hardware myself and clean up.
Old 04-09-2022, 02:14 PM
lkraav
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thesteve
I thought the main thing about Dynavin was the OEM look and feel. Not a fan of that oversized touchscreen with the modified top part.
Lack of physical buttons is indeed a disappointment.

But I'm not entirely thrilled with my N7-s deadpooled WinCE software ceiling, so maybe need to take the plunge anyway.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:06 AM
lkraav
Intermediate

Question

Originally Posted by JAGMAN1
Did you ever get your D8-PC-PRO unit @JAGMAN1
Old 05-24-2022, 02:04 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Not yet. I’ll post a review when I do.
The following 2 users liked this post by JAGMAN1:
brett968 (05-24-2022), lkraav (10-06-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 12:59 PM
lkraav
Intermediate

Still nothing?

While https://www.youtube.com/user/dynavin1/videos fills up with their installation videos for various mid-range cars, I've yet to see any Cayenne vs N8 information anywhere.

EDIT
at least shows D8 for Cayman-Boxster-911-Carrera.

Last edited by lkraav; 08-17-2022 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-21-2022, 09:12 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

I ended up buying a Taycan and put the Cayenne N8 upgrade on hold.
The following users liked this post:
TRINITONY (11-21-2022)
Old 05-25-2023, 04:31 PM
lkraav
Intermediate

With PCCM+ for Cayenne out now, not sure if Dynavin, at least D8, has any life left.. Even though PCCM+ is double the price.

Quick Reply: Dynavin head unit