Sponsored by:

Dear Porsche...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 09:18 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by catamount
How about adding a sunglasses holder like every other car currently made? Surely some clever engineer and designer can figure out how to get one in an overhead console.
Haha.....sounds like you guys just need older Cayennes. They have things like this!
Old 11-30-2013, 10:53 AM
bearfilm
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2006 CS - I got my sunglass holder! Not sure if I would have spent 70-100k for it though!
Old 11-30-2013, 11:19 AM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

Since the OP is ignoring the purpose of the Cayenne (which is a driving experience) I suggest he get a Buick. I'm sure the GM product has huge mirrors, great parking assist (because the average age of a Buick buyer outside of China is 83), great climate control and even eating assists so one never needs stop feeding one's pie hole while lumbering down the road.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:38 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by catamount
How about adding a sunglasses holder like every other car currently made? Surely some clever engineer and designer can figure out how to get one in an overhead console.
The compartment at the front of the driver seat works fine for me. I have a spare set of glasses, my hitch pin, an emergency knife, and various keys (pin, crossbars, and roof box) in there.

Originally Posted by Cole
Haha.....sounds like you guys just need older Cayennes. They have things like this!
Sadly I do think they took a step backwards between the 957 and 958 that removed good portions of Utility out of the vehicle
Old 11-30-2013, 02:31 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
Since the OP is ignoring the purpose of the Cayenne (which is a driving experience) I suggest he get a Buick. I'm sure the GM product has huge mirrors, great parking assist (because the average age of a Buick buyer outside of China is 83), great climate control and even eating assists so one never needs stop feeding one's pie hole while lumbering down the road.
Youre full of crap. Funny. Did you forgot to take your meds?

You think those are mutually exclusive things on a 5000lb suv costing upwards of $200k? . Do you even know what the u stands for? The cup holders on my 911 are better Than a cayenne.

Additional cooling would be beneficial for those in hotter climates. However it does appear its optional. In the Republic temps in a parked car can reach in excess of 140degs. Perhaps it doesnt get that hot in NM where you and all the other sweater wearing whitehairs reside.

The camera resolution is a joke. I cant accept that other makes are better AND cheaper.

I find it strange your comment that the purpose of the cayenne is "driving experience" yet you poo poo on the idea of a PDK option. Somewhat contradictory . I willing to bet most dont off road their cayennes. Also the pdk can tow but not nearly the 8000lbs. So for those who dont intend to offroad or have limited towing needs whats wrong w/ a pdk option in a sporty variant like a GTS perhaps?

Larger mirrors - again seems contradictory w/ your towing comment. The cayenne has huge blind spots . It seems like form over function here and P is not the only one. You have an air cooled and seem like a purist- which i totally dig -so its strange your apprehension to correct the "design flaw." Btw the 997.2 mirrors are slightly larger than the .1 and i hate it! The .1's are sleeker and the 911 always had great visibility.

So with all do respect, Dryadsdad, dont drink too much of the kool-aid otherwise youll be spending more on Depends.

Stay dry

Last edited by kosmo; 11-30-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:19 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

I don't remember commenting on the PDK. Were I to choose, I'd prefer the PDK over my Tip which I dont' particularly like but have grown used to.

We do offroad the CTT, but find it limited by the high performance tires. So we're restricted to good surfaces where the higher ground clearance is needed over true 4 x 4'ing where, if we wish to do that, we use the serious 4 x 4 Toyota. I don't wish to compromise the road performance by using dual purpose tires. I'd rather accept that the CTT doesn't belong where the surface is dicey such as deep sand, mud for crossing rivers.

If you paid $200k for your Cayenne, you must be in a high tax zone or your are a poor negotiator.

As the The Republic, I haven't a clue WTF you are talking about. I hadn't realized until now there is only one republic. And I'm doubly ignorant because I have no idea what you mean.

I'm serious about the Buick. Check one out.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:49 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Let's get back to writing romance letters to porsche.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:37 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

K, I am with you on the mirrors. Came from an 09 to a 14 and the 14 leave BIG blind spots. Wish I had gotten the LCA, which was recommended by my salesman.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:53 AM
DenverSteve
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seafeye
How about building an engine/trans that doesn't blow up 20 min after warranty expires?
How about building a Porsche but have a Hyundai warranty?
And a word of warning. If Porsche quality decreases and becomes par with VW, your done.
1) Most of the Cayenne's herein are far beyond warranty...? There is no widespread engine/trans catastrophic issue.
2) Porsche doesn't need to extend the warranty, though it would be nice.
2) VW quality is excellent.

These don't even make sense.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:03 AM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

VW's are junk. The automatic transmissions are literally falling out of the cars. The VR6 motor is having major issues with the timing chain system. VW building cars in Mexico wasn't a very good idea. Every plastic piece is junk. Window regulators, junk. VW sales have plummeted last couple of years because people are fed up with paying german prices for mexican crap.
They even went as far this year to put a solid rear axel on the jetta. Drum brakes etc….
Won't be long before the accountants from VW infect Porsche and make the company produce an inferior product in exchange for more profit.
I believe a solid warranty will show that Porsche is proud and confident of their product.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:18 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Vw's being junk is a meme that only exists in the USA. I have had 5 vw's and none had any reliability issues. I had even modded my tdi automatic to over 300ft/lbs of torque and it held up brilliantly. I had maybe 1 or two pieces of trim need reattaching.. But nothing worse than various mercedes. VW is on a huge growth cycle right now so I don't know where all the gloom and doom data is coming from. But basically in the 80's vw was making some rubbish cars for a few years. Ever since there has been a meme that they are junk. For the price point I have always enjoyed them. You really seem determined to hate them though so whatever.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,034 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
The camera resolution is a joke. I cant accept that other makes are better AND cheaper.

So for those who dont intend to offroad or have limited towing needs whats wrong w/ a pdk option in a sporty variant like a GTS perhaps?
+1
Old 12-01-2013, 12:14 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by endless_corners
Vw's being junk is a meme that only exists in the USA.
It wasn't a meme in the 90s when they were getting the Mexican factories going. If you got one that was built in Germany, you got a pretty solid car. If, however, you got one built in Mexico they were garbage. There weren't any major issues that I'm aware of, but there were a lot of little things that amounted to the car appearing much older than it really was.

Then there is the whole water pump issue that has always seemed to plague VWs and Audis. Are they still putting that thing at the back of the motors where it is a PITA to get to?
Old 12-01-2013, 12:24 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Originally Posted by seafeye
VW's are junk. The automatic transmissions are literally falling out of the cars. The VR6 motor is having major issues with the timing chain system. VW building cars in Mexico wasn't a very good idea. Every plastic piece is junk. Window regulators, junk. VW sales have plummeted last couple of years because people are fed up with paying german prices for mexican crap.
They even went as far this year to put a solid rear axel on the jetta. Drum brakes etc….
Won't be long before the accountants from VW infect Porsche and make the company produce an inferior product in exchange for more profit.
I believe a solid warranty will show that Porsche is proud and confident of their product.
I don't see VW sales plummeting at all:

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2012/10...sa-canada.html

VAG sales seem healthy too:

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2012/10...sa-canada.html
Old 12-01-2013, 12:35 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You know i actually think the warranty is reasonable and in line w/ the mkt. isnt ferrari lambo and mclaren like 3yrs?
4yr/50k is ok given the sporty nature of our cars. The problem is when $hit happens its expensive.

Plus the best warranties are those that arent needed.

Quick Reply: Dear Porsche...