New from X5 to GTS

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 03:49 PM
Philly GTS
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New from X5 to GTS

HI Everyone,
so this week I will be trading my Sport 09 X5 for a 09 GTS with 50k miles on it.
This is my first Porshe so I am very excited. Will post pictures on Friday if I get my "new" car
Old 08-19-2013, 04:36 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

WELCOME!

I'm really interested in hearing a detailed comparison while both cars are fresh.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:24 PM
iTradeShips
4th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I drive an 08 X5 4.8 Sport and my wife bought a 12 Cayenne S Hybrid. Not exactly the same comparison as yours, but here's my general impression...

The X5's all steel suspension is firmer and produces less body lean the Porsche Air Suspension, even when in sport mode and on the lowest ride height setting. So on twisty roads, which is about all that we have here in Connecticut, I prefer the X5. However, the adjustable air suspension provides a lot of nice alternatives, particularly on some of the rougher back roads, when the back is tired or nagging, and on a flat out highway drive, the Porsche's suspension is a nicer drive.

I don't think trying to compare the power plants is acceptable since one is technically a hybrid. However, they're fairly close on paper: BMW 350HP@6300rpm/350lb-ft@3400rpm vs. Porsche 333HP@5500rpm/325lb-ft@3000rpm, but the Porsche has a clear hands down advantage when driven in full sport with parallel motor operation giving 380HP@5500rpm/428lb-ft@1100rpm. The real issue I feel is the supercharger scroll lag compared to the BMW V8. No matter how hard I've pushed the Cayenne (dialing all the settings to Sport), I just can't get it to out accelerate the BMW.

I will say this about the hybrid. My wife averages 24mpg around town. I get 16mpg in the BMW. I've driven her car to work all told about two weeks over the time she's had it, and I can average 27mpg on the back road drive to work, being able to keep the car coasting and on electric motor a good deal of the way. 27mpg "city" in a car that can do 0-60 in 6 seconds? Impressive.

I think the Porsche's styling is a bit more refined, and surprisingly 2nd row legroom in the Porsche is better. The one knock I have is I find myself bumping my head getting in and out of the car (my son comments about it too), and I'm only 5'8".

The one place the BMW has the Porsche beat hands down and away is service. BMW's free service to 3 years/50k miles includes just about everything - brakes being the big thing in my mind. For another $2k, I extended it to 100K miles, which basically paid for itself many times over because I did brakes @ 35k,60k,95k. My local Porsche dealer charges $500 for an oil change/inspection. $200 at BMW.

Reality is, they're both sweet rides.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:43 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome aboard Philly GTS! I assure you that your GTS experience will be an enjoyable one. I'm currently pushing 55K on mine and still enjoy the morning rumble. Also just had the brakes (rotors and pads) done all around.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:53 AM
wthayer
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just traded an 08 X5 4.8i for a 2011 CS a few weeks ago. I agree with many of iTradeShips' comments and add:
- The older iDrive DVD based nav in the X5 was horribly slow to boot up. So far the PCM system seems to just work, although it's somewhat less customizable.
- The 6-speed adaptive auto in the X5 was equally bad. The Cs 8 speed is worlds better
- The CS (PASM but not air springs) feels like a luxury cruiser in any setting compared to the X5 with the Sport package, even though the X5 had the dynamic suspension and rear air springs.
- I haven't pushed the CS really hard yet, but it doesn't feel dramatically faster than the X5 even though it surely is. I think it's just smoother.
- I'm getting way better mileage in the CS (about 18-22) than in the X5 (about 16-19)

Nits so far with the CS compared to the X5:
- The CS V8 sounds wimpy in comparison
- You need a $300 tool to reset the oil service interval? Seriously?!?
- CS center cupholders have a serious design flaw with that opening in the center. Luckily I learned that with water.
- X5 spec'd minimum 87 octane even though it preferred Premium. Given the CS is also naturally aspirated, why can't it run on Regular at reduced power? I suspect the answer is that it can, but in that case why doesn't Porsche say so?
Old 08-23-2013, 01:42 AM
GTS 6 spd
Instructor

You'll be quite impressed, especially if you take the GTS off road. On and off road performance is exemplary in both arenas, an amazingly versatile vehicle.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:57 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by iTradeShips
The X5's all steel suspension is firmer and produces less body lean the Porsche Air Suspension, even when in sport mode and on the lowest ride height setting.
I thought all 4.8s had air suspension. Or am I thinking of the E53 only?

Originally Posted by wthayer
- X5 spec'd minimum 87 octane even though it preferred Premium. Given the CS is also naturally aspirated, why can't it run on Regular at reduced power? I suspect the answer is that it can, but in that case why doesn't Porsche say so?
Both cars will pull timing to protect the engine if you run lower octane fuel. Obviously this isn't ideal. It's more of a concern on the Cayenne, where the compression ratio is 12.5:1 (vs the 4.8 X5 at 10.5:1).
Old 08-23-2013, 03:58 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The Cayenne will adapt to any fuel mostly, when I am feeling mean or the gas rises to much I make her pay

she never complains
Old 08-24-2013, 01:24 AM
wthayer
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mudman2
The Cayenne will adapt to any fuel mostly, when I am feeling mean or the gas rises to much I make her pay

she never complains
Thanks for confirming that 87 octane will get me where I'm going. The higher compression ratio does make sense though as a good reason to require Premium versus my old X5.

I'm still ahead versus the X5 at the pump when I factor in the better mileage, but I'm the same way - sometimes I just don't want to pay the extra $5 for the Premium.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:37 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From the 2011 Cayenne User's Manual
Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2013, 04:58 PM
ZoomingBy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Philly GTS
HI Everyone,
so this week I will be trading my Sport 09 X5 for a 09 GTS with 50k miles on it.
This is my first Porshe so I am very excited. Will post pictures on Friday if I get my "new" car
Welcome to the forum ...

I too purchased a GTS, trading my 09 BMW 550i M-Package. Even though my 13GTS is optioned well, but I still miss some of the options I had on that car.

Post some pics if you get a chance ...
Old 11-07-2013, 05:42 PM
mdl04
Advanced

Originally Posted by iTradeShips
I drive an 08 X5 4.8 Sport and my wife bought a 12 Cayenne S Hybrid. Not exactly the same comparison as yours, but here's my general impression...

The X5's all steel suspension is firmer and produces less body lean the Porsche Air Suspension, even when in sport mode and on the lowest ride height setting. So on twisty roads, which is about all that we have here in Connecticut, I prefer the X5. However, the adjustable air suspension provides a lot of nice alternatives, particularly on some of the rougher back roads, when the back is tired or nagging, and on a flat out highway drive, the Porsche's suspension is a nicer drive.

I don't think trying to compare the power plants is acceptable since one is technically a hybrid. However, they're fairly close on paper: BMW 350HP@6300rpm/350lb-ft@3400rpm vs. Porsche 333HP@5500rpm/325lb-ft@3000rpm, but the Porsche has a clear hands down advantage when driven in full sport with parallel motor operation giving 380HP@5500rpm/428lb-ft@1100rpm. The real issue I feel is the supercharger scroll lag compared to the BMW V8. No matter how hard I've pushed the Cayenne (dialing all the settings to Sport), I just can't get it to out accelerate the BMW.

I will say this about the hybrid. My wife averages 24mpg around town. I get 16mpg in the BMW. I've driven her car to work all told about two weeks over the time she's had it, and I can average 27mpg on the back road drive to work, being able to keep the car coasting and on electric motor a good deal of the way. 27mpg "city" in a car that can do 0-60 in 6 seconds? Impressive.

I think the Porsche's styling is a bit more refined, and surprisingly 2nd row legroom in the Porsche is better. The one knock I have is I find myself bumping my head getting in and out of the car (my son comments about it too), and I'm only 5'8".

The one place the BMW has the Porsche beat hands down and away is service. BMW's free service to 3 years/50k miles includes just about everything - brakes being the big thing in my mind. For another $2k, I extended it to 100K miles, which basically paid for itself many times over because I did brakes @ 35k,60k,95k. My local Porsche dealer charges $500 for an oil change/inspection. $200 at BMW.

Reality is, they're both sweet rides.
This is like comparing a 955 to a 958. They are different cars marketed at completely different consumer group.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:23 AM
SUVp.cay
Intermediate

ZoomingBy, what options do you really miss on the BMW?
Old 02-08-2014, 08:29 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SUVp.cay
ZoomingBy, what options do you really miss on the BMW?
I don't miss the "weekly-service-advisor-greeting-option" with my BMWs (E53 4.8is and E65 750i).
Old 02-08-2014, 12:24 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdl04
This is like comparing a 955 to a 958. They are different cars marketed at completely different consumer group.
Nah I think it's the same group...

Quick Reply: New from X5 to GTS