Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My cardan shaft is done, but I still have a vibration.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 09:49 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 854 Likes on 470 Posts
Default My cardan shaft is done, but I still have a vibration.

Okay, I replaced the bearing support and remounted the shaft. I didn't have the bearing support alignment tool, but I did loosen the bearing support and shake the shaft a couple times to get it to fall in to place. But, the occasional vibration and thump at low speeds is still there.

I found a thread that mentioned a vibration and thump might be caused by transmission mounts, but I haven't been able to find any detail. What's the story there?
Old 08-26-2013, 06:55 AM
Frutti_pig
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any update?
Old 08-26-2013, 08:10 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Well, so far as I can tell, the vibration has ceased. But, it's an ongoing adventure!

We originally reassembled the shaft incorrectly and during the test drive it started hammering badly because it wasn't flexing properly. We dropped it, pulled it all apart and reassembled it correctly, but there was a dent in the metal collar just behind where the metal lip is folded over the joint (the lip that has to be pried up with a screwdriver). As a result, there is a slight gap at the lip in one spot, maybe 1/8".

During the next couple weeks, I would make checks every couple days and the joint was throwing off good amounts of grease. We'd packed the heck out of it, so I expect some grease to get thrown. But I wasn't sure it wasn't caused by that gap. So, I ended up siliconing the heck out of that joint, which seemed to seal it up.

One more oddity: I now have a mechanical hum/rumble coming from the shaft. I'm not sure where it's coming from (I suspect it's a result of the dent in the collar), but it doesn't seem to be causing any harm. In any event, the solution is a rebuilt shaft which will only cost $400 and that I can install in about 30 minutes. At this point, I'm out about $60 and some time, so I'm willing to adopt a wait-and-see attitude.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:54 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

If not using the alignment tool you have to be very careful on the install because of the way the Center bearing support bolts in. The mount for it has offset slotted holes for the bolts and I found that once aligned, if you don't hold it while you torque the bolts it will twist out of alignment.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:48 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

I did not have the alignment tool. I've done the shaking thing a few times with no perceptible difference. I wasn't being particularly careful while torquing the bolts, so I guess a slow and careful reattempt is worth the few minutes it will take.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:08 PM
whistle34
Advanced

i took out my shaft and had a $60 support bearing, took to a local shop to be fixed for $150 until he showed me a support bearing(he had three touareg shafts) with the red bearing ($80) there was a difference in the rubber surrounding the bearing it was much stiffer than mine....needless to say after taxes it was $230
Old 09-03-2013, 11:37 AM
joeyvaz
Advanced

Originally Posted by whistle34
i took out my shaft and had a $60 support bearing, took to a local shop to be fixed for $150 until he showed me a support bearing(he had three touareg shafts) with the red bearing ($80) there was a difference in the rubber surrounding the bearing it was much stiffer than mine....needless to say after taxes it was $230

Can you tell me the name of the shop you used? I'm in Staten Island and I'm just starting to get vibration. Looking for a place to replace it that is familiar with the issue. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:15 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

If you're going to buy a remanufactured shaft, it's not a hard DIY. A handful of standard bolts up front and a cheap 'star driver' at the back and the shaft drops out. The biggest problem we seem to be having is breaking the back end of the shaft loose. I used a ratchet strap and a hammer, someone else actually put their truck into gear to break it free.

If you do decide to have it done, you could always go with a VW mechanic. The assembly is the same as the Touareg.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:43 PM
whistle34
Advanced

this shop is across river from Philadelphia practically under Betsy Ross bridge
the had my shaft returned in two days, they dont remove, or install them

Rpc Drive line Service, Rebuilt Parts Co LLC
7929 River Road
Pennsauken, NJ 08110-2434
(856) 662-3252

Quick Reply: My cardan shaft is done, but I still have a vibration.