Cayenne Turbo vs Turbo S?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 12:52 PM
bzliteyear
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cayenne Turbo vs Turbo S?

hi guys,

got recently infected w/ Porsche bug(again)...and now thinking about replacing my 2005 MB S600 with a Cayenne Turbo(or S).

by way of background, i generally like to say around $25k for used cars because there's usually minimal depreciation/repairs(if i pick a good one or get extended warranty). in this case, i like the 2006 Turbo and Turbo S as they both have LOTS more options than the regular S, and they look much better on the inside(yes, I'm spoiled from the S600). currently, i'm can find some 80k miles cars for close to $25k.

p.s. i'm also open to GTS, but the 2008s are going for closer to $35-40k...has anyone bought the manual - what's that like?
Patrick
Old 07-12-2013, 10:26 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

Can't go wrong with either for right price. The obvious applies, records, condition, etc... You can flash the regular Turbo to about the same power of the Turbo S, the engine is identical, the Turbo S has higher Boost but does have the advantage of larger Intercoolers to handle the heat from the extra boost (spin Turbos faster to make more boost and they create more heat). Turbo S tends to have more options, some small but exclusive trim items. Larger but more expensive front & rear brakes. Different Suspension controller (I don't know what's the difference though).
Both still need to have the Cooling pipes done as well as keep an eye on the drive shaft (Cardan shaft). With all that said I love my Turbo S.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:05 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

A little off topic but I'd like your opinion on owning your 05 S600. I'm looking at a one owner, local, all maintenance records since new 05 CL65 AMG with 66K on the speedo. I'm concerned about the reliability of the 05's and was wondering how your 05 S600 has held up? Thanks.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:46 AM
AdMan21
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted turbo S this go around. Then realized turbo is more than enough for me .
Old 07-14-2013, 09:55 AM
bzliteyear
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ocious
A little off topic but I'd like your opinion on owning your 05 S600. I'm looking at a one owner, local, all maintenance records since new 05 CL65 AMG with 66K on the speedo. I'm concerned about the reliability of the 05's and was wondering how your 05 S600 has held up? Thanks.
Great car and lots of fun and power, even more torque than Porsche. That said, the ABC is notorius for issues, and may involve valves, and/or pumps, hoses, and then requires "rodeo alignment" after. The biggest issue is that the V12 is huge and anytime something neees to get done, it seems like the engine needs to be removed - and costs $2k+. I have additional 3 yrs warranty on car, but NEVER own a V12TT MB without a solid warranty.
PL
Old 07-14-2013, 10:47 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by bzliteyear
Great car and lots of fun and power, even more torque than Porsche. That said, the ABC is notorius for issues, and may involve valves, and/or pumps, hoses, and then requires "rodeo alignment" after. The biggest issue is that the V12 is huge and anytime something neees to get done, it seems like the engine needs to be removed - and costs $2k+. I have additional 3 yrs warranty on car, but NEVER own a V12TT MB without a solid warranty.
PL
Thanks for your reply. I previously owned a 98 BMW 850CI (V12) that turned into a money pit so I'm very leary of owning another V12 (MB or not). I'm painfully aware of the problems you mention and this car with 66K is probably due, therefore my hestitation. I can get a warranty for it ($2K out to 100K miles) but I just don't need the V12 hassel any more. I think I'm going to pass. But, I still do love the body style, comfort, and performance (WOW!) Too bad-

BTW, I test drove a well equipped low mileage 08 Cayenne Turbo (twice) and would have bought it (loved it) except for the green color. I haven't driven the Turbo S but would speculate that the Turbo vs. the Turbo S handling and performance is similar but less expensive. I also considered an 09 MB ML63 but passed on it too because it just didn't handle like the Cayenne and wasn't as comfortable.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:09 PM
GTS 6 spd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you like to be engaged while driving and love the sound of a snarly V8, then get a manual GTS. Never looked at the turbo or turbo S as the manual was what I was after. McBit has some thoughts on the turbo vs GTS debate, I believe he preferred the GTS for driving enjoyment.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:59 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS 6 spd
If you like to be engaged while driving and love the sound of a snarly V8, then get a manual GTS. Never looked at the turbo or turbo S as the manual was what I was after. McBit has some thoughts on the turbo vs GTS debate, I believe he preferred the GTS for driving enjoyment.
My opinions have changed a little since owning the 957 CTT with PDCC for two months rather than test driving it. Having owned all three contemporaneously my thoughts below:

955 CTT, best kick in the pants by far but way behind the other two in the handling stakes. I do love the way the power is delivered in this car.

957 GTS, the most rounded of the three, handling still the best, even without PDCC, it feels more precise, more agile and ultimately more 'chuckable', a wonderful car to drive on winding roads.

957 CTT with PDCC, the tyre and wheel combo on mine (21s with 295/35s) is identical to the GTS as is probably the ultimate roadholding but the the GTS just feels more accurate and 'better' while doing it. That given it has about 85BHP more than the GTS and that is very noticeable. Has to be driven in Sport mode to deliver the best acceleration characteristics, it does not deliver the kick in the pants which is a real feature of the 955 but ultimately is a good bit quicker. I'm really impressed with this car and it does bring a smile to my face on a daily basis but I'm still going to miss the unique characters of the other two.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Turbo vs Turbo S?