Sponsored by:

Swap PCM 2.1 without phone buttons with PCM 2.1 with phone buttons

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 10:14 PM
Jeremy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap PCM 2.1 without phone buttons with PCM 2.1 with phone buttons

Just invested in several Nav-TV modules including the Tooki for my new to me 2005 Cayenne S. To my surprise I have a PCM 2.1 with DVD, but do not have the phone buttons which I understand are required for use of the Tooki. My goal would be to upgrade to a PCM 2.1 with phone buttons and need assistance from others that may have done this previously - despite my searches I have only found one other forum member who claims to have simply swapped the pcm out, reconnected rear connections and all worked fine. Thoughts??? Thanks in advance - Jeremy
Old 06-29-2013, 12:29 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Not sure if that member was me but my previous Cayenne, a 2005 CTT is the one I swapped out PCM head units with. You do need to make sure if you have Bose that the headunit you are installing came out of a Bose vehicle and vice versa. Bose units don't have an internal amp since their is a Bose amp in the trunk. You may need to have Porsche recode certain things if they are not coded on the new unit. I got my Satellite radio and dash compass back but had to have it recoded for the the backup camera. As a reference, the old PCM in my '05 was a 7L5.035.191L (BE6655)(52/04) manufacture date and I replaced it with a 7LF.035.192C (BE6693) (17/08 manufacture date) unit.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Jeremy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
Not sure if that member was me but my previous Cayenne, a 2005 CTT is the one I swapped out PCM head units with. You do need to make sure if you have Bose that the headunit you are installing came out of a Bose vehicle and vice versa. Bose units don't have an internal amp since their is a Bose amp in the trunk. You may need to have Porsche recode certain things if they are not coded on the new unit. I got my Satellite radio and dash compass back but had to have it recoded for the the backup camera. As a reference, the old PCM in my '05 was a 7L5.035.191L (BE6655)(52/04) manufacture date and I replaced it with a 7LF.035.192C (BE6693) (17/08 manufacture date) unit.
Hahnmgh63 -

Many thanks for your reply. It was you that I was referring to. I appreciate you responding as it lets me know that you did not experience issues subsequent to your posting. I have searched Rennlist and several other forums and it is amazing that there is such a lack of information on this type of swap. I intend to upgrade and now just need to find a reasonably priced PCM 2.1 with Bose for a Cayenne. Many thanks -

Jeremy
Old 06-29-2013, 07:34 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

I think if you have Bose, then any PCM2.1 with Bose will work. Anything that wasn't coded in the replacement that you had before will still need to be recoded. If you have the Satellite module but your PCM isn't coded for Satellite I have been led to believe that you won't get the Satellite (Sirius/XM) unless you have the PCM recoded by the dealer to have Satellite but can't say for sure. As I mentioned I had Satellite, Dash Compass, & Back-up Camera. After installing the newer PCM I got the compass & Satellite back but no Back-up camera.
Funny thing is (not really funny), when I took it to the dealer (1.5hr drive) and had them recode it for the Back-up camera, I didn't notice for a while but I ended up loosing the Dash compass. So I guess I'll have to take it back to have it recoded for the Dash Compass one of these days but the Back-up camera does work again. It would extend when going into reverse but not display on the PCM until they coded the PCM for it.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:34 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I did a swap as I was planning to get a mobridge, never did bother to get the mobridge.

My XM shows an error on the hidden service menu (Main and Trip), but works fine otherwise after the swap.

As for the compass, I thought that was something of a "soft" purchase, I think $170 or something and Porsche Germany allows the dealer to unlock it on the unit.

I.E. You order it, they place the order with their system and your vin. Wait 30 minutes and then they can code the car for it which in turn is really just activating it on the PCM. An IPAS code I believe, someone mentioned they got the compass after a swap.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:14 PM
Jeremy
Rennlist Member

Interesting - I have the compass already activated - guess it will be a gamble or additional cost from dealer. You night have seen my other post relating to the differences between a PCM 2.1 with model numbers 7l5.035.192 with either an a, b or c as its last digit. Is it simply the year produced? If so, is it correct to assume I can upgrade by software so that a model a is functionally equivalent to a model c? Many thanks -

Jeremy
Old 08-24-2013, 02:08 AM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Question guys, I have a 2.1 without phone however I do have SAT radio, a quick search and I see the PCM 2.1 with phone button however I don't see a SAT button just tuner and cd, do they make one with, tuner, cd & sat, seems there isn't enough buttons?
Old 08-24-2013, 06:45 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Kevin, its regarded as just another tuner so you keep hitting the tuner button till SAT comes up
Old 08-24-2013, 03:03 PM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Perfect thanks!
Old 01-17-2014, 11:06 PM
Jeremy
Rennlist Member

Does anyone have the procedure with PIWIS to change the VIN in the PCM? I have upgraded to a PCM 2.1 with phone buttons and added NAV-TV bluetooth as well as some of the other NAV-TV modules. All has been installed successfully and is seen by the fiber optic ring, but I am getting errors due to items that were installed in the previous car (satellite, etc.). In order to clear them out my Porsche Dealer needs to change the VIN coded to the PCM to my car and can't find how to do it in the current version of PIWIS? Any help is appreciated!
Old 01-18-2014, 12:34 AM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I just bought one with buttons on ebay and replaced mine without. I also got the compass.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:29 PM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Are you getting the CD changer error? Mine does the same, it wasn't worth having the dealer play with, I just hit the enter and it goes away.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:19 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

+1
Old 01-21-2014, 12:59 AM
Jeremy
Rennlist Member

I am getting a satellite error that I can click through to get rid of. I have nav-tv bluetooth, ipod connector and television input. I am finding that all of the modules are being found but are not set to be searched for when I hit main and trip to see the connections.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:19 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Do you have the Sat module installed?

Quick Reply: Swap PCM 2.1 without phone buttons with PCM 2.1 with phone buttons