Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for aftermarket replacement for PCM/dvd/radio/Gps in 05 CTT w. FOptic

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 04:47 PM
ciaka
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Suggestions for aftermarket replacement for PCM/dvd/radio/Gps in 05 CTT w. FOptic

My system is acting up and while I am trying to find root cause, I wonder if you can help me get info on what today seems to be a good way to go when replacing the factory setup.

My car is 05 CTT with Bose option fiber optic cable
I would like to retain use of steering wheel controls.

Would like to know:

1. Make/model of unit that will give touch GPS, radio/cd/dvd/bluetooth, connection to my android phone, etc
2. Name of kit that will make a clean face install (if needed) - to look good
3. any kit that will be needed for retain of use of steering wheel controls
4. anything else that I would need with the unit if choosing to go this way.

Not looking for latest/gratest, as I do not have 2K to play with. So cheaper is good, good balance being best. Maybe between 600-800 or cheaper if possible.

Really appreciate your help in advance.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:35 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Pioneer AVIC series. I have it installed in my 997TT and it's GREAT!
Old 05-20-2013, 03:08 PM
ciaka
Racer

are there other solutions as well (other makers)?

Also,

- does the avic series support the fiber optic connection?
- will it retain steering wheel controls with the install?
- does it have connection for android phone so i can hook up my Galaxy S2 to it?

Originally Posted by 4ocious
Pioneer AVIC series. I have it installed in my 997TT and it's GREAT!
Old 05-20-2013, 03:46 PM
ciaka
Racer

which AVIC do you have installed?

I was browsing just for the chits, and saw the AVIC-Z150BH model, which apparently is a new 2013 model.
HERE are the details on it.

I have an android phone (Galaxy S2) and saw that it is compatible with this unit, which would give me ability to install a free app on the phone and then activate it (of course after the phone is attached to the unit with a separately sold cable), to control many of the phone functions via the nav units screen, just as if it was controlled from the phone screen.

Just wondering how the wiring would be done. Does not seem that it has fiber connections. any ideas here?
Old 05-20-2013, 04:20 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So do you maintain the Bose amp when putting in an aftermarket unit?
Old 05-20-2013, 08:09 PM
ciaka
Racer

..adding to list of questions above...

These are the main questions ...
Will you keep fiber connection
Will you keep amp on unit replace
Will you keep steering wheel controls
Where can you get bezel kit for the Nav unit

I was able to determine galaxy s2 is supported as android phone for connection/control of phone on Nav screen of unit

Originally Posted by endless_corners
So do you maintain the Bose amp when putting in an aftermarket unit?
Old 05-21-2013, 08:22 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ciaka
..adding to list of questions above...

These are the main questions ...
Will you keep fiber connection
Will you keep amp on unit replace
Will you keep steering wheel controls
Where can you get bezel kit for the Nav unit

I was able to determine galaxy s2 is supported as android phone for connection/control of phone on Nav screen of unit
I have a 120BH system

Yes
No need to replace the amp
Same steering wheel controls
Bezel is available
Pairs with my Samsung android phone
Comes with Bluetooth but I had a separate microphone installed

Visit the 997 turbo section and search on Pioneer AVIC
Old 05-21-2013, 10:55 AM
ciaka
Racer

I read some of the threads in 997 turbo forum, but am still unclear about a few things.
If I was looking to replace with the AVIC-Z150BH, can you guys help me compile list of items needed, assuming that:
- The install is for 2005 Cayenne Turbo with Bose option (fiber connections)
- I want to keep old amp for use
- don't want to spend an arm and a leg

So far here is what I have:
1. AVIC-Z150BH head unit
2. bezel kit - not sure where you buy one for good price
3. next....
Old 06-05-2013, 12:33 AM
AJN334
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a related question. Is one of the later updated PCM units compatible with a MY04 or 05 CTT?
Old 06-07-2013, 02:45 PM
sipod
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to some expert replys on this as I have hit the wall with trying to establish what will and what will not work in my 2003 Cayenne with bose.
Really want to fit an Alpine 928r to my car, I have been told that an amp from a Audi A8 will replace my bose one and run the HU fine.
This sounds to good to be true ! is it ?
Old 10-21-2013, 03:06 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Anyone get confirmation on need to replace BOSE amp, and if the steering wheel controls still work with the new unit?
Old 10-21-2013, 03:10 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

It so weird that you are allowed to be thoroughly distracted by a big touchscreen multi-functional head unit but if you are holding a detached screen you get a ticket.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:39 PM
crs051767
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the process of upgrading my 2008 base myself. I've been researching the issue for some time now, and I know there is not too much info out there. I called several local shops, and I even contacted Crutchfield, who told me that they could not give me any recommendations, as they haven't researched the Cayenne yet. Anyway, let's see if I can help:

1. HEAD UNIT: I have a CR23 non-Bose system. As a replacement, I bought an AVIC-Z140BH (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...on/AVIC-Z140BH). It has voice commands, the 150BH does not. They both have 7" touchscreen, 8-band EQ, HD Radio, DVD, NAVI, Bluetooth calling & audio streaming, smartphone integration and input for a reverse camera.

The Pioneer AppRadio is another option, but I think current generation is not there yet. Now, there's the Alpine INE-Z928HD which has all of the above, but with an 8" screen. It is very nice, but just too expensive - I'll rather go OEM.

Finally, there are some chinese aftermarket options that are made specifically for the Cayenne, but lack HD radio, proper equalization, Bluetooth Streaming and Smarphone integration. The reviews on Amazon indicate that the audio quality for calls is crappy, and the warranty support is questionable (www.amazon.com/dp/B005JWAQB2).

2. INSTALL KIT: Now that you have the radio, you'll also need an install kit. I'm currently waiting for a Connects2 CTKPO01 kit (www.ebay.com/itm/380694025153). This kit includes the bezel, antenna adapter, steering wheel control and brand-specific patch lead (in my case, Pioneer). I plan to use the factory amp, so I don't think I'll need anything else, but we'll see.

For those with a Bose system, you will need to either replace the stock amp or add a MOST-HUR interface, because the Bose system is connected to the Porsche MOST system (fiber-optic bus), and the remote turn-on for the Bose amp is done via an optic fiber cable. Unfortunately, that is pretty expensive (Around $750 + install). If it was me, I'll just replace the darn thing - I can buy an Alpine amp and replace all the speakers with that amount.

3. SUBWOOFER: Last but not least, the Subwoofer, which is an optional upgrade. My base Cayenne doesn't have one, but I hear that the one included with the Bose system is not very good either, as it is located underneath the spare, which to me does not make too much sense (you need for air to move to be able to feel the bass). Most people just replace the stock sub with an Alpine MRP-M500 or MRV-M500, which fits nicely underneath the spare (You can even reuse the factory wiring!!!).

After the amp is in place, you can put a slim enclosure in the trunk with a 10" or 12" sub (whatever brand you like). There was a JL Audio StealthBox specifically made for the Cayenne (SB-P-CYNNE) that fit a 10" sub and was installed in the left storage area in the trunk, but it was for the 2002-2006 model and also has been discontinued. I plan to have a similar sub box custom made and fit in that same area.

The rest I plan to leave stock for now. I think the 8-band EQ will provide enough equalization to make the factory speakers sound good enough. I will do the install myself and estimate to be spending $800 to $1,000. Yes, I will try to post pics of the process. :-)

I hope this helps.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:51 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

There is a fair amount of dead air space in the spare tire well with the bose sub.. because there is no spare there. I listen to a lot of bass heavy music and the bose sub is not terrible. A little muddy perhaps but not terrible.. i would call it fair and almost decent. It is cool though about that jbl sub for 955's good tip on that.

Does anyone know when Porsche moved to fiber. I have a 2004 with cd navigation and bose. What is the pre-fiber interface bus?
Old 10-21-2013, 06:10 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Correction - I have the Pioneer AVIC 140BH system coupled to the Bose amplifier in my 07 TT. I can scroll the volume and channel selection using my steering wheel controls. The unit is encased in a Pioneer bezel. This is a great system that interfaces to your fiber optic system without any modifications. I don't see where you live so the best advice I can offer is call Hurley's Audio in McLean, VA. Hurley's is one of the top three auto audio shops on the East Coast. They are the experts. Stop by there on any day; its like visiting a very high-end car show.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for aftermarket replacement for PCM/dvd/radio/Gps in 05 CTT w. FOptic