Sponsored by:

All set to order an ML350 BT, then I test drove a Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 01:42 PM
SUVp.cay
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All set to order an ML350 BT, then I test drove a Cayenne

This is a post I started in the Mercedes forum. For those familiar with both vehicles, please feel free to comment, which will help me with my decision. Thanks.

I took the CD and ML BT out for another test drive. I would agree with some on the Mercedes forums that the Porsche/VW diesel engine does not seem as refined as the ML. It seemed to vibrate and buzz a bit especially at 1500 to 1700 rpm. I could feel it in the engine and in the gas pedal. Not as smooth as the ML. The ML transmission and engine is very refined. Maybe this is why Porsche is rumored to be developing a new diesel engine for the 2015 Cayennes.

I just am having a hard time getting used to the monsterous/high dashboard of the ML. It also has a hood "in view" of the road, which makes the vehicle feel bigger than it is and always reminds me that I am in a big suv.

The Porsche has such a nice low slung dashboard and clear view of the road.

1) Did you all get used to the ML's hood/dashboard heavy view?

I am also having a hard time getting comfortable in this model's ML seats. They don't seem as ergonomically shaped to my back as previous years, and they seem to rely more on air bladders, which doesn't seem to be a good substitute for proper seat contouring. The ML seats feel like a fairly staight back, without the comfortable curve in the seat like previous MLs. Could just be me though.

2) Anyone else have comfort issues with the ML front seats?

The Porsche 14 way seats are very comfortable as the air bladders don't even need to be activated to give proper contouring and support.

The Porsche has better road feel, drives smaller and has a better front view of dash and road. The ML seems more refined, lesser road feel, a bit more of a luxurious ride, better wind isolation.

For those that have owned both, or have extensive test driving experience of both vehicles:

3) Do you feel that the sporty drive characteristics of the the Porsche may be fun at first but will ultimately be a bit fatiguing in the long term...or is the ride nice enough or should I say close enough to the ML that it is a nonfatiguing vehicle on 2 or 3 hour trip? Around the city I think I would prefer the Cayenne due to its smaller driving feel and front road view.

I still love everything else about the ML (except for my concerns noted above).

I, like many, are turned off by the option gouging of Porsche. Many options that should be standard or grouped together are separate expensive charges. Almost swaying me to Mercedes. Maybe the 2015 will group options together to catch up with the times and to be more competitive.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:08 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

If I felt as you do, I'd go for the Mercedes. Have not noticed any unusual vibration or buzzing from my CD. Just got back from a 500 mile trip and it performed well.

Good point on your observation regarding options, but years back it was worse, as virtually all options were priced individually, and the list was 19 pages long when the Cayenne was first introduced. I wouldn't bank on any movement in option pricing strategy come the 2015 model.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:45 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,199 Likes on 476 Posts

Personal preference, you will know what's right for you. I agree about the Mercedes seats however. I bought my wife a 2013 GL 550, she hated the seats, and I agreed with her, felt like leather wrapped around a concrete block. Ultimately she couldn't take it anymore. She loved my cayenne diesel so we got her one too, she couldn't be happier. The 14 way seats with ventilation are quite comfy.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:25 PM
SUVp.cay
Intermediate

Originally Posted by philg3
If I felt as you do, I'd go for the Mercedes. Have not noticed any unusual vibration or buzzing from my CD. Just got back from a 500 mile trip and it performed well.

Good point on your observation regarding options, but years back it was worse, as virtually all options were priced individually, and the list was 19 pages long when the Cayenne was first introduced. I wouldn't bank on any movement in option pricing strategy come the 2015 model.
I am actually leaning a bit more to the Porsche. The seat comfort and dashboard view are very important factors that can not be easily overlooked.

As far as the vibration goes, I felt it on two different CDs. My friend with me felt it as well. I was hoping it was flat spots on the tires or a tire imbalance...but on two vehicles? There is a thread here where they talk about this vibration. I wouldn't say it's a dealbreaker though.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:31 PM
SUVp.cay
Intermediate

Originally Posted by philg3

Originally Posted by disden
Personal preference, you will know what's right for you. I agree about the Mercedes seats however. I bought my wife a 2013 GL 550, she hated the seats, and I agreed with her, felt like leather wrapped around a concrete block. Ultimately she couldn't take it anymore. She loved my cayenne diesel so we got her one too, she couldn't be happier. The 14 way seats with ventilation are quite comfy.
Interesting on the seats...you describe what I felt. Firm seats with poor contouring can be an uncomfortable combination. The reports on the optional multi-contour ML seats are no better, as the ML version merely adds air bladders to the bolster portion of the seats which expand in a not so good way.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:46 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
Agreed. Those 14 way seats are nice -- particularly with ventilation. Would have never ordered that feature, but came with Premium Plus Package -- glad I have it. Just tried it today -- warm day here, and it's nice.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:54 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Hmmm.

Driven about 4 Cayenne Diesels (if not more now that I think about it) and never felt any unwanted vibrations.

As for the ML - I drove it a few times, both in gasser and Bluetec forms. My thoughts were...

Seats pretty bad.
COMAND pretty awful.
Interior bordering on cheap.
Great engine. -- when it didn't have slow speed bucking issue.
So-So trans.
Good amount of room.
Steering so numb as to ponder whether wheel connected to anything mechanical.
Brakes...did not inspire confidence.

My wife likes a "sporty" ride. The ML pushed no buttons for her even though it was a deal compared to the Cayenne. In fact, I would prefer the outgoing E70 X5 35d to the ML. Old tech and all.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:48 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,199 Likes on 476 Posts

Oh yeah, steering feel is awful on Benz, on the GL if the windows are open a breeze could turn the wheel, no feedback, numb numb. Putting on sport mode helped alittle, but not a Benz strong point. Steering in cayenne is nice, even with servo.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:17 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OP, have you tried a CD with PASM?
Old 04-22-2013, 08:01 AM
SUVp.cay
Intermediate

I never drove a CD with PASM. Can it be purchased with spring suspension? In normal mode, how will the ride be different than springs in normal mode?

Last edited by SUVp.cay; 04-22-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:07 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About 5100 miles on mine now, haven't noticed anything like the "vibrate and buzz at 1500-1700 rpm". More than one owner has however complained of that type noise coming from somewhere behind the dash. That's something that should not happen in a new high end SUV, or at least remedied during dealer prop. It's annoying and inconvenient, but eminently fixable under warranty. Next test drive, try a different dealer. Perhaps one that is a bit more conscientious during the dealer prep stage.

//greg//
Old 04-22-2013, 09:38 AM
LaicepsYdobon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SUVp.cay
I never drove a CD with PASM. Can it be purchased with spring suspension? In normal mode, how will the ride be different than springs in normal mode? Will PASM in normal give a ride closer to the ML/softer ride?
You can not have PASM with steel springs on a Diesel. The only way to get steel springs with PASM is to upgrade to a GTS.

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/tec...=PMTCayenneAll

I haven't driven a Cayenne without PASM so I can not answer that question for you, however I can tell you that selecting Normal mode on the Cayenne is harsher than normal mode in the ML. Switching PASM to Comfort will give you a softer ride but not Lexus/Mercedes soft.

I have been a Benz guy from early childhood and when looking for a fun SUV for myself I cross shopped the Cayenne with the ML 63. Nice, but when it came to handling there really was no comparison. Ultimately it's really up to you and your driving style. Would you prefer an isolated ride with a somewhat "floaty" experience or would you sacrifice some of the cabin isolation for superb (almost sports car like) handling. You can't go wrong with either vehicle it's all a matter of preference.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:12 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon

You can not have PASM with steel springs on a Diesel. The only way to get steel springs with PASM is to upgrade to a GTS.
Incorrect. You most certainly can. That bit about the GTS pertains only to the lowering. Not the steel springs.

Go on the configurator and you will see you an select PASM and then air suspension is separate.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:22 AM
LaicepsYdobon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Incorrect. You most certainly can. That bit about the GTS pertains only to the lowering. Not the steel springs.
I stand corrected. Thanks...
Old 04-22-2013, 01:31 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I meant air + PASM sorry I didn't specify. You can dial the ride in nicely so it will never punish.

Quick Reply: All set to order an ML350 BT, then I test drove a Cayenne