Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Durametric best diagnosis tool for Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 10:00 AM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Is Durametric best diagnosis tool for Cayenne?

I need to buy a diagnostic tool for use on my CTTS since I like to DIY on a lot of stuff. I've searched the forums, and other than the seemingly unattainable PIWIS, the Durametric tool is the name that seem to pop up the most. Anyone have and use one, and if so, how satisfied are you with it?
Old 04-04-2013, 10:14 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

My opinion is that is is the best single software available specifically for Porsche. With that said if you have any VAG (Volkswagen/Audi) products then the Vagcom software will do 90% of what the Durametric will do and the interface is better and cheaper. I am specifically comparing to the Cayenne as 90% of it's modules are VAG shared and even those that are not are similar software. I have both and for some things I'll grab the Vagcom over the Durametric since the interface is better.
Also with that said, Vagcom has been around longer and has had more time to improve their product, Durametric has made great improvements in the last two years alone and I'm sure will continue to improve.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Even if you could get a PIWIS, I think they cost $20k.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:58 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You can buy a PIWIS ... It's the monthly software maintenance that kills you.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:05 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Don't be cheap and buy the $20 knock offs on ebay, they don't have all the functionality and you are basically stealing from Durametric as the software was written to work with their cable. They are cool enough to still provide free updates year after year for free.

Also, discussion about vag-com merits on a porsche so be warned. However I think hahnmgh63 has the most experience. I am not brave enough to try a recode.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...m-program.html

With some of the things we have done (lowering, chimes, code resets) it is worth the price for the 1 time you don't have to go to a dealer.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:00 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
the Vagcom software will do 90% of what the Durametric
Only through MY2010. For 2011 and newer Cayennes, the VCDS is just an expensive code reader/analyzer. Oh, and it will reset error codes and service alerts.

//greg//
Old 04-07-2013, 07:09 AM
dale59911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to ask a stupid question....what is VCDS please? Ooops never mind......the joys of Google.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:16 AM
grohgreg
Pro

It's the VW/Audi/Skoda equivalent to Durametric

//greg//
Old 04-07-2013, 11:35 AM
dale59911
Rennlist Member

From looking at the Durametric website, they do show it as working for 2011+ Cayennes and shows the Diesel engine listed. If all it does is reset the service now and service reminder after an oil change, it is worth the price of admission. I am a bit of a newbie but was the 958 beginning in 2011 and still continuing?
Old 04-07-2013, 11:45 AM
grohgreg
Pro

My opinion is that - given the things it can NOT do on the current model Cayenne - I wouldn't waste any money on it. For about 1/4th the money, I bought an iOBD2 instead
Old 10-08-2015, 10:55 PM
duncit
7th Gear

I realize that this is an old thread but I figured I'd chime in anyways. I bought the Durametric enthusiast kit for my '13 Cayenne diesel - back in August ('15). I've been emailing them every week since. It is 100% useless for the '13 diesel Cayenne, it can't even reset the service reminders. Their reply is, "we're aware of the problem and our engineers are working on it".

Today I told them I was sending it back and wasn't paying their restocking fee, as it is totally worthless as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe my expectations were just to high (expecting it to actually do something)! I have used Vagcom for years, and that is a phenomenal product in comparison to this junk.

Dunc
Old 02-17-2017, 05:56 PM
webridges
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just purchased the Durametric enthusiast kit for my '12 Turbo. It did reset the oil service indicator, so technically I can't say it is worthless. It doesn't do much else from what I can tell after about an hour of going through all the menus and researching online. I think it's able to do more on the 957's and 955's.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:04 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

If it can be found iCarScan is a better deal, cheaper, no vin restriction, and it works quite well and accesses all systems on the 958 series. Apparently they are no longer available easily from China. There is an equivalent one available from NAPA - a bit cheaper to buy up front, but you have to pay a bit for each manufacturer you want to enable. If it's just Porsche - it's a great deal. With the iCarScan, you can download up to 5 manufacturers' full diagnostics included in the $160 or so price.

I also own a Durametric. It isn't as capable on the 958 as it was on the 955 I formerly owned. I really should sell it.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:22 AM
quickster2
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Amazon Amazon

iCarsoft POR II for Porsche NEW VERSION professional diagnostic tool scanner -

I just bought this two weeks ago as the bundled unit. It reset all codes, maintenance intervals, and seems to have much more functionality that I need to get up to speed on. I could not figure out how to update it from their website but will try again this weekend.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:16 PM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

There are three service reminders (minor, major, can't remember) that can be reset with the PIWIS. Durametic cannot reset them individually.

Can this unit perform individual resets?

Thank you.

Eddie

Originally Posted by quickster2
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

iCarsoft POR II for Porsche NEW VERSION professional diagnostic tool scanner -

I just bought this two weeks ago as the bundled unit. It reset all codes, maintenance intervals, and seems to have much more functionality that I need to get up to speed on. I could not figure out how to update it from their website but will try again this weekend.

Quick Reply: Is Durametric best diagnosis tool for Cayenne?