Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FABSPEED secondary cat bypass pipe on a V6 3.2L

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 06:43 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Be careful of the K&N filters. Fine for old school restrictive intakes but most modern performance cars have adequate intake systems and do a search as Oiled filters such as K&N's can cause premature failure/performance reductions of you MAF's. The fine oil particles will get on the Hot MAF wire and bake on like hot oil on a frying pan. Once it burns on you can't just wipe it off or get it off with a spray cleaner.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:19 AM
virkdoc
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
Be careful of the K&N filters. Fine for old school restrictive intakes but most modern performance cars have adequate intake systems and do a search as Oiled filters such as K&N's can cause premature failure/performance reductions of you MAF's. The fine oil particles will get on the Hot MAF wire and bake on like hot oil on a frying pan. Once it burns on you can't just wipe it off or get it off with a spray cleaner.
I checked on the k&n website and it showed that the quantity of oil coming in is so less that it doesn't matter.....
Old 05-10-2013, 11:50 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by virkdoc
What risks does the filter come with?
Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
Originally Posted by virkdoc
I checked on the k&n website and it showed that the quantity of oil coming in is so less that it doesn't matter.....
If I were trying to get to the bottom of something like this, the last people I'd listen to would be the manufacturer. The problem with oiled filters shedding micro droplets and destroying MAF sensors is common knowledge in the exotic community and is very real, as is the increased risk of ingestion of particulate matter which can score your cylinder walls. If you're in an urban area and don't suck any dust at all, ever, and the car is old enough that you're not not worried about longevity, go ahead. Or if you just don't give a damn and the extra 2% bhp is worth the risk to you, go ahead. But don't do it because KN says it's a-okay.

Quick Reply: FABSPEED secondary cat bypass pipe on a V6 3.2L