Sponsored by:

Dension or mObridge?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 12:39 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Dension or mObridge?

Deciding how best to upgrade my PSM 2.1 to USB and Bluetooth (not an iPhone user). I was going to switch head units but it seems the Bose stuff makes this a real hassle. Looking at Dension and mObridge adapters, I see no obvious discriminators. beyond price. Dension is available on eBay much cheaper than the mObridge. Is there any difference in software, functionality or dependability? Installation complexity? Quality? Are these OK as a DIY for someone handy with tools (but not an e-tech)...or pro install only? I've never done anything with fiber optic connectors. Is routing wires for the USB a nightmare? Do they have a generic RCA type aux jack.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:34 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have done 2 Mobridges on my Cayenne (s) and had no problems, they both appear to work the same but I go BT
Old 03-28-2013, 07:14 PM
plima
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Dension Gateway with the Bluetooth adaptor in my 2008 S (PCM 2.1). The gateway works well, but the BTA1500 is quite poor. Dension has zero tech support and has never responded to my many requests for help. I don't know about Mobridge, but it has to be better than Dension
Old 03-31-2013, 03:39 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

I've had good success with Denison - by contacting them via email. We've had some interactive email discussions, including me reporting to them on how to solve one updating problem I encountered (they incorporated it into their FAQ.) I have the Gateway/Most and the BTA-1500 module. The installation isn't difficult but it is a bit fiddly and you need to take some care in reconfiguring the MOST fiber connectors and getting the switches set correctly on the GW module (for some reason my mind couldn't understand their instructions on the first pass - took a few more reads to get things working correctly.)

I installed mine behind the PCM - where there is somewhat limited room, and I installed the BTA-1500 up above the glovebox. The BTA-1500 initially didn't sound that good with my phone, but then Dension released a firmware update for it that allows setting the amplitude (sort of like volume - but not quite) of both the speaker output through the audio system, and the microphone sensitivity. After playing with this a bit (the settings are somewhat phone dependent) - it works just fine. It works as well as the factory system in SWMBO's Lexus RX.

The GW interface for simple USB use is quite easy to use. The one for the iPod offers the usual iPod functionality, but due to the limits of the PCM, it takes a bit of learning to use easily. The GW does offer a simple audio-input if you need that. One USB memory stick - 16GB - will hold over 3,000 tracks of MP3 music (something over 27 days of continuous music) all for about $20. I prefer my iPod (a Classic G3) since it allows making up playlists (with the same 16GB of MP3's loaded on it.)

I ran the USB and the iPod connector back through the console to the storage bin under the armrest. Had to drill a small hole for the connectors to fit though, but that wasn't a problem. R&R of the console isn't hard - just has to be done correctly (the two hidden screws in the rear are the big trick..) I installed the ON/OFF switch/Audio-input lump in my glovebox.

I later added a set of fiber cables running to the rear of the truck to use with my CD-Changer. I'd suggest not bothering - I've never used it since the iPod took up home in my console.

Dension now offers a single unit "Gateway" with the Bluetooth function built in. If I was doing it now - that's what I'd order. Be even simpler to install.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:46 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the latest dennison, the BT feature is poor to fair at best.
If you want the best BT interphase, tooki.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:21 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 248 Posts

I did Dension to keep my CD changer accessible. If you don't care about that, the impression I had from my research is they they're both quality solutions, though I have zero experience with mobridge.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:22 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Valuable comments...keep 'em coming.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:21 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I also have the Mobridge and am happy with it. I did the install myself. My Pig had the rear CD changer so rather than do the easier install of behind/above the glove box I installed mine in the right rear in place of the CD changer since I was removing it anyways and would be using the CD changers Optic cables. The only wire you have to run forward in this install is the microphone which I installed in the overhead Sunroof panel so it looks OEM. I have the Pano sunroof and snaked a clothes hanger stretched out from the front, above the headliner to the right rear pillar and taped on the microphone and just pulled it back forward. It was the perfect length, probably not more than 4" to spare.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:38 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

So if I have 997.1 with CD changer (which I want to keep functional), Denison is the only choice?

Quick Reply: Dension or mObridge?