Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil 1 0w 40 or Castrol Edge 5w 30 Oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 07:58 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

CdnRD, I am sorry but I don't use Mobil 1. It is an Ok oil and is cheap because it is mass produced. There are other oils that I as well as others feel are a little better, but at a higher price. Is is worth the extra price to get a better TBN or a higher HTHS rating, who knows.
But you knock the guy with the idea that Porsche wouldn't let it's Bean Counters make a decision which may turn out to be bad, or a bad engineering decision then I think you are mistaken: Older 911 timing chain tensioners, 944 timing belt tensioners, water pumps, more recently 996, Boxster IMS bearings? Cayenne: how about the great Cardan shaft, Plastic water pipes (now under class action suit), Coils which are on about their 6th or more revision with some being recalled and some not but at well over 50% failure by 50~60K?
I do love my Porsche's, I have 3 and they are a great Engineering company compared to most other Auto manufacturers, but they do make plenty of mistakes, some by Engineering mistakes and some by listening to the Bean counters. Who here goes with the 20K oil change interval? If you think they don't make mistakes stick with that and see how long your Cayenne last, but be sure to let the buyer know you went 20K between changes.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:25 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by CDMC
BMW had a similar issue back with the early 4.0 liter V8 engines. They claimed it was from high sulfur gas. Has anyone run UOA's at 20k, as that is a lot of miles, which combined with cold weather starts and short trips could really deplete the oil. I could see it not being such an issue on 996/997 cars where they have those huge sumps for a 12 quart + capacity. I am surprised that Porsche wouldn't have tested that, but the rollback to 10k intervals on the same engines in newer years says that something is up.
BMW ended up changing the block material to fix this problem. On some models (like your 530i) - they put a cast iron block into US bound cars and a Nikasil block in Europe market ones.
I thought the M Motor issues were also occurring in the S62 that came in the M5?!!! I didn't keep much track of it, as I decided I didn't want to deal with the horrendous upkeep of an e39 M5 and bought the low powered 530i with a sport package instead. Being practical is boring sometimes.
No - different problem. The early S62's were known as gross oil users - way less than 1,000 miles/quart when using the original spec'd 5W-30. Going to the 10W-60 improved the consumption enough that BMW could blow off the owners and say "It's normal.." Later years of the E39/M5 were much better on oil consumption - apparently due to a change in ring configuration.

But - the point was - there have been cases where oil has been related to some engine problems.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:13 PM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Amsoil is better than Mobil 1, but sometimes when obtaining it is a hassle I use Mobile 1.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:02 AM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 178 Posts

I have Amsoil 'European formula' 5w-30 but have not seen many reviews or recommendations for this.
I only have the oil because it was recommended for my TDI.
While i still have a case of it, I do not plan on using it in my CTT.
Plan on using A40 0W40 for my climate.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 0w 40 or Castrol Edge 5w 30 Oil