Sponsored by:

Urban driving....Tip or Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 09:58 AM
Schnell 911
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Urban driving....Tip or Manual?

So I have been driving this PIG for 6 weeks now and just averaging about 14.5 mpg. Any of you believe the MPG will increase by driving the beast in manual? Urban driving...ARGH.....
Old 02-22-2013, 10:12 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 898 Likes on 548 Posts

Sorry - No. I average that on my commute in traffic or towing my trailer on the hwy. I have once seen 20 mpg on a steady 55 mph with no traffic. There's a reason we call them Piglets
Old 02-22-2013, 10:16 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Drive on the highway more, I get around 16-17 with no real traffic, even up to 19 on long flat trips.

I myself have not messed with tip long enough, but my guess is, with the amount of weight of this truck, no matter what, with stop and go, you are gonna eat fuel. On bad commute days I get around 11-12 driving in Boston. Sometimes when I have to leave early at 6pm, I get about 9 before I even get on the highway.

1st gear must be real small, as you can rev that up fast, and other than when the car is cold, it will usually start in 2nd. Also noted that even in manual mode, if you let it rev high, it eventually will switch to automatic. I think. I can't remember if that was just with the tip buttons being hit, or the switching the stick over.

If you really want to save fuel, release the gas to slow down don't brake (to do that you have to slow down ahead of time) and accelerate slow (which ticks people off and drives me nuts as it feels sooo slow)
Old 02-22-2013, 12:15 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I find myself manually forcing it into 6th when at steady boulevard speed but below 2000 RPM in town. As soon as I put the lever back to Auto position, it downshifts to back to 5th. No wonder City MPG sucks.

Are MY06 Tip shift points programmable? Does this Tip not have the "learning" function that my Audi had for adapting to my shifting style?
Old 02-22-2013, 12:38 PM
gbratk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DWC in Sedona
I find myself manually forcing it into 6th when at steady boulevard speed but below 2000 RPM in town. As soon as I put the lever back to Auto position, it downshifts to back to 5th. No wonder City MPG sucks.

Are MY06 Tip shift points programmable? Does this Tip not have the "learning" function that my Audi had for adapting to my shifting style?
That is strange...

I can drive under 40mph in 6 gear in auto mode, it downshifts, when rpm drops under 1000rpm. This is if I dive it gently in city.

Yes this tiptronic have learning function.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:30 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a tip, buy a fuel efficient car like a tdi and then hypermill that. Why are we even talking about saving gas with cayennes? Its like splitting hairs.. the difference in a few mpg. I certainly didn't buy one because I was under the illusion that it would get good fuel economy and find it a little counterproductive to not just enjoy driving it... If i found myself regularly hypermilling my v8 gas guzzling 5,000 lb suv I would sell it.

</rant>
Old 02-22-2013, 04:05 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Ditto the above ^^^^
Old 02-22-2013, 04:06 PM
gbratk
Instructor

Originally Posted by endless_corners
Here is a tip, buy a fuel efficient car like a tdi and then hypermill that. Why are we even talking about saving gas with cayennes? Its like splitting hairs.. the difference in a few mpg. I certainly didn't buy one because I was under the illusion that it would get good fuel economy and find it a little counterproductive to not just enjoy driving it... If i found myself regularly hypermilling my v8 gas guzzling 5,000 lb suv I would sell it.

</rant>
Agree.

If I had prices for fuel like you have, I would let the pig run even when I go to sleep
Old 02-22-2013, 04:42 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

</rant>
Amen.

Originally Posted by gbratk
Agree.

If I had prices for fuel like you have, I would let the pig run even when I go to sleep
Old 02-22-2013, 07:47 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Here is a tip, buy a fuel efficient car like a tdi and then hypermill that.
</rant>
Well, our other car is a Jetta TDI Sportwagen, and I'm not really concerned about the CTT's mpg. But I have a steady state RPM comfort zone when cruising. Maybe it's because growing up I had a neighbor who drove her kids and me to school...in 2nd gear all the way.

BTW...what's hypermilling?
Old 02-23-2013, 01:58 AM
gbratk
Instructor

Originally Posted by DWC in Sedona
Well, our other car is a Jetta TDI Sportwagen, and I'm not really concerned about the CTT's mpg. But I have a steady state RPM comfort zone when cruising. Maybe it's because growing up I had a neighbor who drove her kids and me to school...in 2nd gear all the way.

BTW...what's hypermilling?

If you have durametric, or piwis, or vagcom, try to reset self learning function. Maybe is something messed up something.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:10 AM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gbratk
If you have durametric, or piwis, or vagcom, try to reset self learning function. Maybe is something messed up something.
I've got it on my list for the 1st CPO warranty visit.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:54 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hypermilling is a term for driving with max fuel conservation in mind
Old 02-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Schnell 911
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Ok so if the Cayenne is self-learning? I will continue to drive in auto....Lets burn some fuel, i do not give a rats ***...
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,571 Likes on 983 Posts

14.5 mpg? Wow... That's pretty good for a Cayenne!

Quick Reply: Urban driving....Tip or Manual?