Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to replace just the oil filter...what happens

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013 | 08:02 PM
ericstaup
Advanced

Default Need to replace just the oil filter...what happens

When I remove the oil filter with a full load of oil? Just a quart drains out or the whole shebang?
The reason is I had and oil change and brought my own oil and filter but the filter didn't work so I had the tech just reuse the old filter.

Thanks
Eric
Old 02-15-2013 | 10:00 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

The old oil that was in the filter & housing was remixed with the new oil. Hopefully he at least drained the old oil out of the oil filter housing even though he reused the old filter. I'm kind of **** so I fill the oil filter housing with fresh oil before threading it on. I cuts down on the dry startup time.
Old 02-15-2013 | 10:14 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Just a guess here but I suspect that the filter is fed by pump pressure and not gravity so unless you try to do it with the engine running you should only lose the oil in the lines close to the filter.

This is purely speculation on my part though, no first hand knowledge.

I'm getting ready to change my oil (need to make sure I have a filter first) and can test my theory if need be. If I don't have a filter it'll be a week or so.
Old 02-15-2013 | 10:38 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

You are right, what is in the filter & housing and what drops out of the oil filter mounting on the Engine Block probably amounts to less than a Quart. Like I said, that was a Qt of dirty oil left in the engine if the filter wasn't changed unless they pulled the old filter at first and drained the housing of the old oil before replacing the old filter.
Old 02-15-2013 | 10:53 PM
ericstaup
Advanced

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Yes they drained the filter housing, replaced the old filter and then filled with plain bulk oil and then I made them drain that oil and fill with the oil I had provided. So I sort of got an oil flush before changing the oil. Probably don't need to put a new filter in but one can never be too careful.

Eric
Old 02-16-2013 | 07:11 PM
grohgreg
Pro

I haven't had my first oil change yet, but apparently have the wrong idea about how this works. My oil filter is on the top of the engine, the housing screws in upside down. It was my thinking that - if the oil pan is drained first - gravity should empty the filter and filter housing as the pan empties. I didn't expect to have any oil spill out of the housing - much less a friggin' quart. That's unsat. What am I missing?

//greg//
Old 02-16-2013 | 07:31 PM
ericstaup
Advanced

Originally Posted by grohgreg
I haven't had my first oil change yet, but apparently have the wrong idea about how this works. My oil filter is on the top of the engine, the housing screws in upside down. It was my thinking that - if the oil pan is drained first - gravity should empty the filter and filter housing as the pan empties. I didn't expect to have any oil spill out of the housing - much less a friggin' quart. That's unsat. What am I missing?

//greg//
The filter on the 2004 TT is located at the bottom of the engine. Just use a large size ziplock baggy wrapped around it when removing.

Eric
Old 02-19-2013 | 10:48 AM
FallonBlood
AutoX

The filter housing is full of oil and does not drain when the engine is shut off. You must unscrew the oil filter canister approx 1 turn, this retracts the filter and the little stopper built into the bottom of the filter unplugs a drain port in the housing and thus drains the oil filter housing. You do this before you drian the oil. There is a plastic detent on the filter housing and as you unscrew it you can feel the filter reach a "stop" and that is where you leave it to allow it to drain (5min?) so you can remove the filter without making a huge mess. Then you may continue to unscrew it as it takes just slight pressure to rotate the canister past the detent. When you install the new filter you pop it into the canister. There is a ramp and stop built into the bottom of the filter housing that guides the stopper into it's home and keeps the filter from rotating as you contine to thred on the canister.
Old 02-19-2013 | 11:38 PM
ericstaup
Advanced

Sweet...thanks for the detailed info

Eric
Old 03-25-2013 | 05:37 PM
FallonBlood
AutoX

I need to amend the previous statement, there is no 1-turn stop/detent on the diesel, you just need to turn it out a turn or so to lift the stopper. I might turn it out until you can just barely see the O-ring and let it sit that way a bit then remove it completely.

Quick Reply: Need to replace just the oil filter...what happens