Sponsored by:

GTS or Diesel V8 S.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:52 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
IMO, its not, I was sold on the aggresive looks of the GTS, the alcantara headliner, the fantastic sound (have to say that I got rid of the sound symposer gimmick) and the great deal as a whole package with all the extras, but I dont like a harsh ride in an SUV, no matter how sporty it is.
Please dont get me wrong, the GTS is fantastic as any other Porsche, but I already have a 911 with a firm ride and go kart feel, If that wasnt the case I might be a happy camper.
My perfect ride would be a Diesel S with the the GTS looks and the STD AS.
Yeh but with the sound symposer you can turn that off separately if don't want it. Personally as a newbie in the car I loved it. Maybe as time goes on my love will wane but i don't think so. I could be wrong though so i won't discount anything. Re the sound again; It's a very intoxicating sound and all available just at the touch of a button. Like yourself I too am sold on the aggressive looks and the packaging of the GTS. It's definitely a magnet on the heart strings.

My only doubt would be the ride quality and whether it would wear me down over the term of ownership. It is nice having distinct comfort and handling in a car like this. Going too far one way has its risks. I have thought about driving this car down the snow this year which is @ a 480km each way trip over varying terrain such as 65 % smooth free way, 35% blacktop bitumen varying between single and dual carriageway and road surface quality. I guess that would be the ultimate test whether the suspension set up in the GTS was truly enjoyable in a pleasurable sense and, not just borderline tolerable.
Risk is if it winds up being road noisy and a bit too rough in the ride then its too late at that stage, money is spent. These things don't have a great resale going by what I'm told. Mainly a consequence of the lack of economy in the petrol engine more so anything else.

So the diesel is definitely more of a given quantity where the ride, economy and resale is concerned. Just doesn't have the same look and packaging...and the car will predominately do city work anyway.... So.... hmmmm.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:56 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by endless_corners
i wonder if its just a packaging issue.. where standard PDCC parts don't fit with all the v8 diesel undercarriage business going on down there.
Not sure. Probably just a packaging issue as you say but when you consider they have tagged the car with the S moniker you'd think they'd allow PDDC. I really can't see the undercarriage being changed in any way over the petrol versions outside perhaps some different spring and shock settings. Odd. I'd say if they don't allow it now it'll probably turn up as an option feature in the gen 2 V8D.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:08 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
Not sure. Probably just a packaging issue as you say but when you consider they have tagged the car with the S moniker you'd think they'd allow PDDC. I really can't see the undercarriage being changed in any way over the petrol versions outside perhaps some different spring and shock settings. Odd. I'd say if they don't allow it now it'll probably turn up as an option feature in the gen 2 V8D.
I'm not sure either since I obviously haven't seen the diesel V8 layout, but endless_corners may be on to something. I've personally done an oil change on my Cayenne S and there is PDCC plumbing that runs close to the underside of the engine and actually must be unbolted and moved to get to the oil filter. Depending on how the diesel V8 fits in the chassis, it's shape, layout of ancilliaries, etc. it's possible that the "standard" PDCC plumbing and/or hydraulic pump won't fit. Of course, Porsche could design a system that does fit, and as you say, it may show up on the next generation of the V8D.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:16 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Right, I was thinking exhaust plumbing / emissions devices / etc (getting in thrway).. And thus needing X number of tweaked parts and not being to amortize the cost relative to low unit numbers. Basically bean counter bs. But, idk, it's total speculation. I dont really know how PDCC fully works other than hydraulically motivated sways.. Somehow I had envisioned something similar to XREAS in the 4runner/prado/gx470 which has piping that runs across the undercarriage.

Last edited by endless_corners; 01-31-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:33 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'm not sure either since I obviously haven't seen the diesel V8 layout, but endless_corners may be on to something. I've personally done an oil change on my Cayenne S and there is PDCC plumbing that runs close to the underside of the engine and actually must be unbolted and moved to get to the oil filter. Depending on how the diesel V8 fits in the chassis, it's shape, layout of ancilliaries, etc. it's possible that the "standard" PDCC plumbing and/or hydraulic pump won't fit. Of course, Porsche could design a system that does fit, and as you say, it may show up on the next generation of the V8D.
Hadn't thought of that. Did notice that the diesels are both wet sumps, V8 petrol quoted as dry. So maybe it's as endless says, somethings in the way. Oh well. Shame about that. Maybe Porsche will find a way around it in future diesel models.

PS still awaiting word from my sales guy whether he can come up with the turbo wheels. Wife won't take GTS with out em so that'd be a deal breaker for the GTS. Says she saw one yesterday and thought it looked like a big black mamba with everything black.....doesn't want it looking like that.....i'm inclined to agree. With the blacked out wheels it misses the mark....well in black/black any way. I'm sure on white it would be fine.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:59 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Yeah sometimes murdered out whips can make you look like you have something to prove.. I end up thinking its hot but dont want my car looking like that. I am half tempted to powder coat my wheels the same dark green of my interior just to continue the country club/duck hunt theme I have going.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:05 AM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
Yeh but with the sound symposer you can turn that off separately if don't want it. Personally as a newbie in the car I loved it. Maybe as time goes on my love will wane but i don't think so. I could be wrong though so i won't discount anything. Re the sound again; It's a very intoxicating sound and all available just at the touch of a button. Like yourself I too am sold on the aggressive looks and the packaging of the GTS. It's definitely a magnet on the heart strings.

My only doubt would be the ride quality and whether it would wear me down over the term of ownership. It is nice having distinct comfort and handling in a car like this. Going too far one way has its risks. I have thought about driving this car down the snow this year which is @ a 480km each way trip over varying terrain such as 65 % smooth free way, 35% blacktop bitumen varying between single and dual carriageway and road surface quality. I guess that would be the ultimate test whether the suspension set up in the GTS was truly enjoyable in a pleasurable sense and, not just borderline tolerable.
Risk is if it winds up being road noisy and a bit too rough in the ride then its too late at that stage, money is spent. These things don't have a great resale going by what I'm told. Mainly a consequence of the lack of economy in the petrol engine more so anything else.

So the diesel is definitely more of a given quantity where the ride, economy and resale is concerned. Just doesn't have the same look and packaging...and the car will predominately do city work anyway.... So.... hmmmm.

IMO the only way to drive the GTS is in sport mode, it really come to life!
The GTS is very loud from the outside, but the sound symposer makes the sound loud in the interior too, not the exhaust sound but the admission sound reververating through the A-pillars, It was nice for the first few weeks but in my case, it got old really quick, my wife didnt like it, she said it gave her headaches,
I just plugged the symposer pipe located in both A-pillars with a wine cork. There is still a bit of intake noise when in sport mode, but more muted so the balance with the exterior exhaust sound feels more to my likings, the exhaust note is fantastic and loud enough to be heard inside the car.
I also have this gimmick in my 991 and it doesnt sound as annoying as in the GTS, the symposer is located beneath the rear windshield and not in the A-Pillars right next to my ears, so I can hear a beautiful "mix" between exhaust and admission sound.
On the other, I dont know one person that doesnt likes the air suspension on the regular Cayenne, depending of the PASM setting, it can be sporty enough to take some tight turns really fast and plush enough to cruise comfortaby arround town with the family.
I guess you should take a long test drive in the GTS before getting into any conclusions.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:10 AM
speed21
Banned

Yeah sometimes murdered out whips can make you look like you have something to prove.. I end up thinking its hot but dont want my car looking like that. I am half tempted to powder coat my wheels the same dark green of my interior just to continue the country club/duck hunt theme I have going.
LOL!

And, aint dat true. .....well she kept going on and on about this damned big black mamba...

Yes sir, overly macho'd whips can sometimes give a general impression of one trying to look that bit too try hard for ones own good.

Not necessarily a great look in a large Porsche SUV with a female driver really...
Old 02-01-2013, 06:36 AM
Joseph O'Reilly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw the first V8SD in the metal today. Disappointing as it was black/black/black trim, black taillights (those were nice) with tacky after-market winter wheels, including a strange red logo in the center, that were a poor imitation of the shiny turbos. Tried to hear the exhaust note but there were too many cars and its motor wasn't working hard enough. Gotta say, I am glad to have gone blue/beige/alu rails/alu rockers after seeing this all black thing, though with real wheels it would have looked real good. Still, the GTS is the looker. Speed21, just keep reminding yourself, you mostly see the INSIDE of YOUR car...the exterior is for the viewing enjoyment of your audience. So if looks are the main thing pulling you in the GTS direction, perhaps get full leather in your v8DS and keep that in mind.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:01 AM
Joseph O'Reilly
Instructor

Right, I was thinking exhaust plumbing / emissions devices / etc (getting in thrway).. And thus needing X number of tweaked parts and not being to amortize the cost relative to low unit numbers. Basically bean counter bs. But, idk, it's total speculation. I dont really know how PDCC fully works other than hydraulically motivated sways.. Somehow I had envisioned something similar to XREAS in the 4runner/prado/gx470 which has piping that runs across the undercarriage.
I checked the Panamera diesel configurator at Porsche.de. They do not offer PTV+ or PDCC at all on the Pana D. For the base v6 gasoline Panamera, PDCC and PTV+ are offered as a combined option- it is not possible to spec PDCC or PTV+ separately.

As we know, neither PDCC nor PTV+ is available on the Cayenne Diesel. The Diesel "S" offers PTV+ "only" as an extra option, but not PDCC.

As for why it is this way, I haven't found an answer. Generally at Porsche, option packaging/availability seems STRONGLY bean counter-driven. Porsch wants to keep even the option to add especially driving hardware extras to the models with higher base prices...but in the case of PDCC I am not sure- it may have to do with engineering, since PDCC is an option on the base V6, but not on the V6 or V8 diesels, both of which cost more than the base V6. The lack of a PTV+ option on the v6 diesel seems more bean counter-driven since it is available on the v8 diesel.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:15 AM
speed21
Banned

Ok. A few developments and a bit of a break through. Dealer says can now get hold of a set of the turbo wheels and can change those black centred multispoke 21's on the black/black GTS. Also has a grey /black GTS with turbo wheels just come available....deal fell through. So the turbo wheel obstacle has been removed and have another colour to choose if need be. Both vehicles available for delivery within a few days. Decision Time has come and I'm getting cold feet on the GTS. I think all of this talk of V8 turbo diesel power and overly hard suspension has taken a bite thanks to galion, who undeniably makes a few compelling points against his beloved GTS. Mike who also owns a V8S says would consider the V8D but not GTS....i think due to the firmer suspension in the GTS? Hard to overlook the points you guys are putting forward. Only problem is the wife feeling she needs to be in something now. Joseph makes a good point with the interior optioning of the V8D.
June delivery and a higher price tag than GTS....hmmm. It's crunch time tomorrow.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:40 AM
igoping
AutoX

I sympathize about making the hard choices. When I ordered my GTS way back in August '12, there were no other choices for me (model or brand). It was the GTS that I wanted and making decisions on what options I wanted was the only thing I had to concentrate on.

I only drive in Sport mode when I feel like driving a little aggressive or when my friends and clients want a little entertainment (it never disappoints). I find that the engine noise is not loud enough! I can't get tired of that feature because I only use it on special occasions.

In your situation isn't this a car for your wife? If she has a preference and doesn't mind the diesel, go for that. It might be lower cost to own/operate and it is still a very, very nice model.

Good luck with making your choice - either way you should be very happy.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,570 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph O'Reilly
I checked the Panamera diesel configurator at Porsche.de. They do not offer PTV+ or PDCC at all on the Pana D. For the base v6 gasoline Panamera, PDCC and PTV+ are offered as a combined option- it is not possible to spec PDCC or PTV+ separately.

As we know, neither PDCC nor PTV+ is available on the Cayenne Diesel. The Diesel "S" offers PTV+ "only" as an extra option, but not PDCC.

As for why it is this way, I haven't found an answer. Generally at Porsche, option packaging/availability seems STRONGLY bean counter-driven. Porsch wants to keep even the option to add especially driving hardware extras to the models with higher base prices...but in the case of PDCC I am not sure- it may have to do with engineering, since PDCC is an option on the base V6, but not on the V6 or V8 diesels, both of which cost more than the base V6. The lack of a PTV+ option on the v6 diesel seems more bean counter-driven since it is available on the v8 diesel.
It is this way because the diesels use a different AWD system than the petrol engines. On which the PTV is not available.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:22 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

I think you need to be patient and wait to properly drive both (back-to-back, on varied surfaces etc.) Making your decision based on forum opinions is unwise. You need to make your own choice.

These are expensive, discretionary vehicles. Get what you want, not what someone else thinks.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:52 PM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The one reservation I have about Diesels is the frequency of oil changes required. I really don't mind visiting gas pumps, but I don't like going into the dealership on a regular basis. It's too much hassle, and you know they will charge you an arm and a leg for oil changes.

Quick Reply: GTS or Diesel V8 S.