Sponsored by:

GTS or Diesel V8 S.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 01:51 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph O'Reilly
Saw the first V8SD in the metal today. Disappointing as it was black/black/black trim, black taillights (those were nice) with tacky after-market winter wheels, including a strange red logo in the center, that were a poor imitation of the shiny turbos. Tried to hear the exhaust note but there were too many cars and its motor wasn't working hard enough. Gotta say, I am glad to have gone blue/beige/alu rails/alu rockers after seeing this all black thing, though with real wheels it would have looked real good. Still, the GTS is the looker. Speed21, just keep reminding yourself, you mostly see the INSIDE of YOUR car...the exterior is for the viewing enjoyment of your audience. So if looks are the main thing pulling you in the GTS direction, perhaps get full leather in your v8DS and keep that in mind.
So true. The car has to look and feel right on the inside. Outside also has to look good too. GTS has success in both these areas. Only items on the questionable list is really the ride, economy and resale being a petrol. Have to say the ride is better in the S, the economy better and resale more attractive in the DS.

Originally Posted by igoping
I sympathize about making the hard choices. When I ordered my GTS way back in August '12, there were no other choices for me (model or brand). It was the GTS that I wanted and making decisions on what options I wanted was the only thing I had to concentrate on.

I only drive in Sport mode when I feel like driving a little aggressive or when my friends and clients want a little entertainment (it never disappoints). I find that the engine noise is not loud enough! I can't get tired of that feature because I only use it on special occasions.

In your situation isn't this a car for your wife? If she has a preference and doesn't mind the diesel, go for that. It might be lower cost to own/operate and it is still a very, very nice model.
Good luck with making your choice - either way you should be very happy.
That's a nice situation to be in. If they didn't have the V8DS coming out it would have been an easy decision to get the GTS. The V8DS messed that up, but in kind of a good way. I was pretty sold on the TDI until i heard about the V8D being released but then after seeing and driving the GTS it knocked the TDI out of the equation all together. It is a great package....but still has a few unknowns for me especially when there is talk of the V8 petrol being possibly dumped. That could be a big game changer for the resale values but when you look at the direction all the suv's are headed diesel is a big part of the equation. Just take BMW and Audi as an example. Better performance and economy than any V8 petrol.....

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
It is this way because the diesels use a different AWD system than the petrol engines. On which the PTV is not available.
Actually you are correct with the V6TDI but the V8DS uses the same system as the GTS so i think if the PDDC isn't available as an option it could on be as endless- corners says that something gets in the way......or there is a marketing issue somewhere. You can get the PTV+ in the V8DS unlike the AWD TDI 6.

Originally Posted by 500_19B
I think you need to be patient and wait to properly drive both (back-to-back, on varied surfaces etc.) Making your decision based on forum opinions is unwise. You need to make your own choice.

These are expensive, discretionary vehicles. Get what you want, not what someone else thinks.
True, but opinions are always valuable too imo. They can help one rationalise what one may already subconsciously know, and some times opinions help to just re affirm. Other times opinions can educate you on stuff you didn't know about so i'm open to opinions but agree would never base my decision on anything other than what i really felt was the best way forward anyway for me.

The way i'm feeling at the moment is the V8DS optioned correctly will be the better way forward for us even though there is a June wait. The only downside to the V8DS will be it won't have the same aggressive front end but in metallic black the larger grille vents gets lost anyway and its not as easy to identify as how it is on the lighter colours. I'm optioning the black adaptive Bi-xenons and the 21'turbo wheels with gaurd extensions, tinted rear lights and the black exterior trim package with black roof rails so externally it shouldn't really look a great deal different visually than the GTS other than the GTS's body kit and tailpipes. Interior will be full leather with 18 ways, full nav with TV and bluetooth. Then there will be the PTV plus, power steer assist, comfort lighting, memories, amongst the extensive list of standard equip such as rear TV camera with front and rear park sensors, Bose, PASM with Air suspension, Auto dimming mirrors, sports chrono, etc etc so it'll be a loaded beast with exception of the PDDC. My fuel economy and resale issues will be covered as best as possible given the performance on offer and by all accounts it should eat the GTS in real world driving. So...while GTS was cheaper we feel the V8DS will (hopefully) prove the wiser decision over the long haul. Time will tell...

Anyway decision is now made and the options are now all amended so it's just the wait now guys. So ,thanks again for all your thoughts and opinions guys i really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by racer_65
The one reservation I have about Diesels is the frequency of oil changes required. I really don't mind visiting gas pumps, but I don't like going into the dealership on a regular basis. It's too much hassle, and you know they will charge you an arm and a leg for oil changes.
Glad you reminded me. I'll check tomorrow how much it will cost each time and double check whether the costs exceed the other benefits and come back on that.
Thanks.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:45 AM
Lomew Bartho
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys well i think that's an appreciating replying about that issue.Thanks!!

Cross Beams

Last edited by Lomew Bartho; 08-20-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: GTS or Diesel V8 S.