Sponsored by:

Pano roof in hot climate....smart?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 10:31 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,602 Likes on 1,618 Posts
Default Pano roof in hot climate....smart?

Currently planning a Cayenne Diesel order for later in the year. Debating between the regular sunroof and the panoramic roof.

I love the idea of the pano roof, but living in Houston think it might not be the smartest thing. First, the shade isn't completely opaque and will let some light through. Second, i would have to imagine that 9 months out of the year I wouldn't even bother opening the roof (and even some days during the winter). Don't know, haven't lived in Houston very long.

Any real world thoughts?
Old 01-27-2013, 10:54 PM
TGED
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need 4-zone climate control (it has an extra air cond unit for the back seat and extra air vents on the B-pillar) to go with the pano roof, but depending where you are, you may not be able to get 4-zone on Cayenne diesel.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:59 AM
blazing928
Rennlist Member

We have pano here in Melbourne Aust [not Florida]. To be honest I dont think its any hotter than a normal roof.
We do shut the blind for glare control more than heat.
The other day I came home, it was 37c [105f ?] and I though I would move it out from the sun into the shade., It was quite cool, i was surprised!
We have 4 zone a/c, I think its not available in the US because of the AdBlue tank.????

You could heat film it, and I would seriously think about if ordering again, the heat/noise insulating glass. You feel the heat through that big screen.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:57 AM
sebis
Racer

Originally Posted by TGED
You need 4-zone climate control (it has an extra air cond unit for the back seat and extra air vents on the B-pillar) to go with the pano roof, but depending where you are, you may not be able to get 4-zone on Cayenne diesel.
Indeed, you can't get this in the US with the Diesel.

I am planing to order a Diesel here in Houston, TX and I am NOT planning got get the panoramic.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:02 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the Pano roofs are nice, however i've heard it starts to squeak later down the road. That was certainly the case on my Mercedes.

Houston is very Hot and Humid.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:18 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 101 Posts

I will be getting my CD in a couple days. I ordered the extra insulating glass option and I am having the pano roof tinted with reflecting film as well.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:36 PM
AnchorRanch
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a pano roof for Cayenne S, but not feel the heat yet since I just have it for 2 months ( it is "winter" in Texas!). So far so great! I am thinking to investigate if i can have a good tint done for the roof !
Old 01-28-2013, 04:06 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Our Pano roof has not been hot at all or at least any more so than any other car Ive had. We do have the extra insulated glass though. And yes they will squeak down the road, at least the last model will, new one may be better.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:14 PM
phojes
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also worried about the panorama roof leading to a hotter interior, but it hasn't been an issue in Southern California, even during many days with temperatures of >100F.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:20 PM
williamr91
Pro

I have 109k on my 06' CS....I live in Michigan so the heat isn't my issue...today every road felt like a dirt road (pot holes, half melted ice tracks, and puddles/ponds in the country haha)...I will NEVER get another pano roof car. It was so loud, squeaky, and annoying I was irritated to say the least.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,602 Likes on 1,618 Posts

certainly leaning against it. I find that I drive around quite often in my other cars with the roof pulled closed as soon as it gets warm.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
certainly leaning against it. I find that I drive around quite often in my other cars with the roof pulled closed as soon as it gets warm.
It's subjective, of course, but I'm a little surprised by the comments that people don't notice the additional heat load. We have an A3 with Audi's version of a Panoramic roof (my wife wanted it) and the extra heat on a sunny day is definitely noticeable, even in our relatively mild climate. It's ok in the winter, but like you, we keep it closed when it gets warm. It also will creak at times when the chassis flexes a certain way. I hate that, and it's partly why I didn't want to chance a Pano roof on my Cayenne. I admit though, it does look nice.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:59 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
It's subjective, of course, but I'm a little surprised by the comments that people don't notice the additional heat load. We have an A3 with Audi's version of a Panoramic roof (my wife wanted it) and the extra heat on a sunny day is definitely noticeable, even in our relatively mild climate. It's ok in the winter, but like you, we keep it closed when it gets warm. It also will creak at times when the chassis flexes a certain way. I hate that, and it's partly why I didn't want to chance a Pano roof on my Cayenne. I admit though, it does look nice.
We also have an A3 TDI with pano roof. I haven't noticed any creaks, but we were proactive and limo-tinted the roof. It's been plenty good even in VA summers. The Porsche screen for the roof is much better than the Audi one, but I'll still likely limo tint the Cayenne GTS roof if/when I order it.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:18 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
We also have an A3 TDI with pano roof. I haven't noticed any creaks, but we were proactive and limo-tinted the roof. It's been plenty good even in VA summers. The Porsche screen for the roof is much better than the Audi one, but I'll still likely limo tint the Cayenne GTS roof if/when I order it.
That's true about the Audi screen; it is less substantial than the one on the Cayenne. But my thinking was, if I have to keep the screen closed when the sun is out, or heavily tint the roof, what's the point of having a glass roof in the first place?

I have a steep driveway. I take the entrance at an angle, and at anything over a couple of mph it must be causing body flex as I get a noticeable "crack" from the roof. It doesn't happen often, but I've also noticed the noise crossing other driveway entrances. This, even though the Audi has a crossmember behind the sunroof itself. The Cayenne has, I believe, just one big opening. Cutting a hole that big in the roof has got to compromise body stiffness to some degree, unless the structure is provided with additonal strengthening to compensate, which I don't think it has. Whether it's enough to cause actual problems, is another question.

All of this was part of my very subjective thought process when deciding whether to get a Pano roof. I admit, I may be overly sensitive to the issues involved and someone else may have a higher tolerance and/or a completely different take on the subject.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:33 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd go the pana roof for sure. The roof inside has more height and more light with the pana roof even with the screen closed and it just gives the car an airier and more luxuriant feeling inside. It gets pretty hot here down under in summer and the demos i've driven lately really haven't indicated the heat inside the car is any higher than the regular moon roof. Plus the A/c is so damn good. Even if the screen is closed, which is where it would be for me most of the time in the day, it feels way less claustrophobic than a car with the small moonroof...not that the car is claustrophobic but.... with the pana roof it feels beautiful. Driving the car with the moonroof has an entirely different feeling. It's like you don't even have a roof. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Pano roof in hot climate....smart?